Cannot Download Transactions from Chase Bank

Comments

• I hate to be a dope but is the Direct Connect what automatically downloads all my transactions to my registers when I log on?  As this is working BUT I was missing about 1 1/2 months worth of entries and was trying to fill them back in.
  • I have the same problem. Yesterday I could not download my most recent statement - had to load manually one by one - big pain.
    Today I tried again to get new transactions. It put up a dialog to rename one of them which I did not want it to do. When i cancelled out it simply stopped the import process.
  • martyn2019martyn2019 Member
    edited February 6
    I have tried to deactivate/reactivate the account. Have tried deactivate/reactivate then import saved download file manually. No joy.

Is there any way to roll back the most recent update?

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chase admits to creating bad QFX files.  They are not populating the FITID entry of each transaction.
    You could edit the file with Notepad or Wordpad (don't use a word processor) and populate that field with a unique number/code.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chase was fine for me until this release. Will have to wait to see if new transactions continue to have same problem. Also have a second chase account with low activity. Will check if that is working or not when something new hits it.
    I hate to be a dope but is the Direct Connect what automatically downloads all my transactions to my registers when I log on?  As this is working BUT I was missing about 1 1/2 months worth of entries and was trying to fill them back in.
    See this FAQ: FAQ - Download old transactions 
    But then you are going to have the problem described by Sherlock and NotACPA and would need to populate the FITID fields with unique numbers/codes.

Search this forum, you will find other users reporting the same issue and that users found the issue and resolved it by editing the file.

• ChuckeetaChuckeeta Unconfirmed, Member
    I am using both types of downloads for my two Chase CC accounts (Personal and Business)    Direct Connect is doing the same thing.    I have no transactions for a couple of weeks.    I started a new file in quicken to test, downloaded the Direct Connect and started it as a new file.  One Transaction downloaded but the balance was correct.   It has to be on the Chase side missing some kind of data in the files.
  • ChuckeetaChuckeeta Unconfirmed, Member
    chemwa said:
    I confirmed that the problem is that the FITID field on the downloads from Cahse is assigned to "None".  I opened the .qfx filed in Workpad and did a replace all "<FITID>none" with a "<FITID>{number for a 2018 download}.  Then used FIND <FITIF> and increased the FITID number by 1 for each sequential transaction.  Then saved the file as .qfx.  The modified .qfx with the bogus FITID numbers imported the data into my Quicken 2017

I have two accounts using both types of connections, I was only having problems with one but now both accounts and both types of connections have the same issue.   I checked the FITID field per Chemwa's input and verified that they are all 'none' and the old download had sequential numbers, looks like this is the culprit.  Thank you Chemwa!
  • dave7865dave7865 Member
    splasher said:
    Chase admits to creating bad QFX files.  
    Do they?  Is this something on the web that you can provide a link to?  Or was it just some person in Chase customer support who mentioned it on the phone?  Or something else?  Either way, a statement like that deserves some attribution.

Don't get me wrong.  I *know* the QFX files are bad.  It would be nice to know that Chase is aware of the problem. 
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to be a dope but is the Direct Connect what automatically downloads all my transactions to my registers when I log on?  As this is working BUT I was missing about 1 1/2 months worth of entries and was trying to fill them back in.
    Maybe.  The other possibility is you used the unreliable Express Web Connect connection method.  
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • ne11194ne11194 Unconfirmed, Member
    I have two Chase accounts with about 40 transactions each. The CSV download appears correct but my qfx downloads appear complete??? but only 1 is getting read into the account.
    edited February 6
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase also supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method for Chase Sapphire Checking, Chase Private Client Checking and Private Banking customers, you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • ismedinaismedina Member
    For the last few days, I've noticed that one of my Chase accounts (credit card...) has stopped getting the downloaded transactions via QFX file. My other accounts (checkings, savings, etc.) are ok.

I already tried to play around the "Preferences --> Downloaded transactions" and also within the Account details "Online Services --> Online Setup".

I do not have direct download to Chase since they will charge for that function - which is ridiculous, but I guess that's how they try to make more money from us...

Any idea what it could be the problem?

Quicken Deluxe 2019 (Windows) v R17.6
  • I am having the same problem.

• THANK YOU Chuckeeta !!!

I had NO idea what I was doing but blindly followed your directions...of course I was stumped when I couldn't find a <FITIF> in the file...  but just blindly went on assuming it was just a typo and added bogus numbers 1-2-3-etc after every <FTID>(made up filename) entry and it WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am shocked as I don't know HTML or anything... but the searches were under EDIT.

You just saved me countless hours of individual entry!  THANK YOU AGAIN!
  • I am having the same problem with all of my Chase cards.  I've also looked at the QFX file that is being downloaded, and it contains multiple transactions, but Quicken isn't importing them into the Register. This problem has been going on for about 2 weeks.

Is there any resolution?
  • When downloading transactions from Chase Credit using Web Connect, not all transactions are coming through. I selected the previous statement (1 month) roughly 120 transactions and only 1 is coming through. Called Chase they were no help. When I download the same data to CSV the transactions appear in excel. Any idea how I can get those transactions into Quicken?
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase also supports downloading transactions for free for their credit cards, Sapphire Checking, Private Client Checking and Private Banking customers, you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method for Chase credit cards, Chase Sapphire Checking, Chase Private Client Checking and Private Banking customers, you may want to consider using this connection method instead. 
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • jtlangjrjtlangjr Unconfirmed, Member
    Having the same issue with my Chase account.  I am getting the correct online balance but the transactions are not making it to my register.  I upgraded my Quicken account to in a wasted effort to resolve the issue.  I may unfortunately now be committed to this subscription account.
  • Having the same issue with Chase Credit Card accounts, if you pull them down with a spreadsheet they're ok, but trying to pull them down through a QFX file, you get nothing. 
  • I want to point out a potential problem lurking down the road if you are using the manually editing method.

The value of FITID is used to uniquely identify a transaction. So in subsequent download
    • If you use a different value for a same transaction, you will get duplicate
    • If you use a same value for different transaction you will not see the "new" transaction
    See this comment from Dave for method that will use  script (Python) to uniquely assign a FITID value.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19981196/#Comment_19981196

• I'm having the same issue. It is only impacting my credit card.  I'm able to download my checking and savings accounts just fine.  I downloaded transactions into excel to see if anything was even getting downloaded.  They are.  Trying to do the QFX file, there is something there based on size but it doesn't make it to Quicken.  I have Quicken 2017.
  • Roger MRoger M Member ✭✭✭
    Chase charges $9.99 per month for Direct Connect.
    Not to my knowledge, at least not for personal CC accounts. Perhaps they charge for business accounts. I am not paying anything for DC to a personal CC, Chase Sapphire.
    Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription **** Windows 10 Home *** Quicken user since 1996
  • I can go to my Chase credit card account and choose which transactions I want to download and the download box comes up.  When I click on it the Quicken icon turns blue like it is dowloading them, but when I go to the account in Quicken there is nothing there.  As of right now there are 4 transactions that should download but I have tried it multiple times to no avail
    As has been covered numerous times recently in this forum, Chase is creating defective downloads.  From what one user reported as the problem, Chase is creating incorrect FITID entries as "NONE".  The effect of that is that the first transaction is presented, but the rest won't be presented since Quicken sees them as duplicates since the FITID of "NONE" has already been accepted and any after that are considered duplicates.

You need to complain to Chase, Quicken is not at fault.

Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method for Chase credit cards, Chase Sapphire Checking, Chase Private Client Checking and Private Banking customers, you may want to consider using this connection method instead. 
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • icemike said:
    Using Quicken 2019 on Win 7 PC although I've been having this problem since v2018. Whenever I try to download or import my transactions from Chase, Quicken freezes on screen and can only be closed thru Task Manager. No error message, just freezes. I have tried at least 20 suggestions from the forum, have been online with 3 Chase Reps who assure me it's not on their end, so I'm stuck. Started this just to make the techs at Quicken aware that Chase customers are also having problems.

** Solved **

After disabling all Antivirus and Firewall programs, I forgot that IE also has a "Popup Blocker" inside the "Privacy" tab. And although I had Chase listed in the "Allowed" section, it was not alerting me. So I deleted it then re-listed it (from the Chase website, Copy/Paste from the Address Bar) and this solved my problem.

• I use a Chase checking account to pay my credit cards bills, but for some reason those payments are not being downloaded via One Step update or when I use click Update now for the Chase account. I have to manually enter all credit card payments made from Chase. All other transactions download perfectly.  Any way to fix this?

Using 2019 Quicken Deluxe for Windows. R17.6  Build 27.1.17.6, but I also noticed this when I was using the 2016 Quicken Deluxe for Windows version.  
This discussion has been closed.