Cannot Download Transactions from Chase Bank

1235»

Comments

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chase appears to be generating bad QFX files at this time.  As Chase supports downloading transactions for free using the Direct Connect connection method for Chase credit cards, Chase Sapphire Checking, Chase Private Client Checking and Private Banking customers, you may want to consider using this connection method instead.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • JudyJudy Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem as tford001.  I called Chase today and was walked though deactivating and re-linking my Chase credit card accounts. I also went to my Chase account and confirmed my identity.  My transactions still won't download.  How do I use Direct Connect
  • I confirm that I see the same problem with Chase QFX files, all of which show FITID of NONE. Can I simply edit the QFX and change NONE to something like NONE001, NONE002, etc. etc.?
  • I tried my own suggestion and used notepad to change the FITIDs in a qfx file from NONE to NONEnnnnn, where each nnnnn was unique. I saved the file and imported into Quicken. All the missing transactions appeared. After exiting Quicken I renamed the QFX file to end in the last used number, so that I'll know where to start the next time I download from Chase.

I have multiple accounts at Chase, with different user names and passwords. It seems that Quicken can only support one account on Chase using direct connect, which continues to work correctly for the one account setup to use it. Until Chase fixes the FITID problem it will be my job to manage the FITIDs so I don't import duplicates.

Norm
  • I emailed Chase yesterday.  Here's their response:

We're sorry for the issues you had while downloading
    transactions. I'll be happy to assist you.

Terri, we're sorry, but something went wrong on our end
    with downloading transactions into Quicken/Quickbooks.

We're working to correct the issue. Please try again
    later.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
    Chase customer.

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    NormG85 said:
    I confirm that I see the same problem with Chase QFX files, all of which show FITID of NONE. Can I simply edit the QFX and change NONE to something like NONE001, NONE002, etc. etc.?
    Yes, you can, BUT, if any of the transactions are repeated in the next download and you do not assign the exact same FITID to it, Q will present it as new.  You also have to make sure that the next batch does not reuse codes for new transactions.
    Bottom line, be careful and do not let Q auto-accept anything.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dave7865dave7865 Member
    Follow this link to download a short Python script that fixes these broken QFX files.  Just install python, put the script on the desktop, and drop the broken QFX files on the script one by one to fix them. More detailed instructions at the website.
  • How many people are affected by the Chase bank download issue? I talk to support and they say it is a known issue and point to report A-0410.  This report is not listed on the Quicken website as a known issue and there is no information on when or if Quicken is working to solve the issue.  
    Only response I get is sorry and you have to wait. 
  • Does any one know if the problem is fixed?

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as how the problem is in Chase software, Quicken can't resolve the issue.  Chase is putting "NONE" in the FITID field which is supposed to be unique to each transaction.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• I am having this problem too. I finally listened to nagging from Quicken and upgraded from 2016 to 2019 earlier this week. Then, the first time I went to download a statement's worth of data from my Chase Sapphire account, it's not working. I literally paid for a new Quicken subscription model and everything broke. If I am reading this right, the problem lies on Chase's end? How will we find out when it is resolved?

I chatted yesterday with Quicken customer service, and he walked me through disconnecting and reconnecting that account. It only had downloaded one transaction for my most recent statement when in fact there should be over 100. Only at the end of our chat did he say this is a Chase issue.

Can I roll back to 2016 or is that not going to fix my problem, and it was just a big coincidence I updated Quicken just when this connection broke?
    You can roll back to Quicken 2016 but that will not correct the QFX files Chase is generating.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • I meant to add, at some point in the process it DID download a dozen or so transactions which appear to be the "current" activity -- activity that has occurred in the last few days, but I'm missing a big hole from a few weeks in Jan. Basically the last statement cycle which closed earlier this week.
  • LarryLarry Member ✭✭
    Anyone else having problems with Chase Bank support for Express Web Connect?  I've had problems for several days now.  My Direct Connect Chase accounts are working fine.  (and no, this  account connection can't just be changed to Direct Connect)
    Chase is generating bad QFX files at this time.  Chase is apparently aware of the issue and are working on a fix.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • How do I clear Online Bal?
  • Tom YoungTom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the bank name?  I take it that some banks include "pending" transactions in the information you see inside Quicken.  If you log into the actual account can you spot anything that matches that difference?
  • I have no pending balance. The account is at zero with the available balance at the full opening amount.

The problem seems to be with Quicken, not Chase Bank.
    asnewton said:
    Can I roll back to 2016 or is that not going to fix my problem, and it was just a big coincidence I updated Quicken just when this connection broke?
    It's just a big coincidence.  I'm still using 2016 and having exactly the same problem.  It started recently.  I was able to successfully download transactions in late Jan but not in early Feb.  
  • GeoffG said:
    @thenols Chase CC is free for DC. Only checking/savings will cost. I believe even EWC is free. Unless it’s a business account. 
    How do I convert to Direct Connect?  When I go to the chase external account access page from the download transaction page, it just sits and spins a blue circle forever. Do you know the steps?
    thenols said:
    GeoffG said:
    @thenols Chase CC is free for DC. Only checking/savings will cost. I believe even EWC is free. Unless it’s a business account. 
    How do I convert to Direct Connect?  When I go to the chase external account access page from the download transaction page, it just sits and spins a blue circle forever. Do you know the steps?
    It's difficult to tell where you're stuck.  After you have deactivated the Online Services of all the registers associated with the financial institution, when you activate the Online Services of one of the registers, Quicken should provide a list of all of the accounts it finds at the financial institution and enable you to link the accounts to the appropriate existing registers.  With Chase, you may be required to confirm your identity by accessing a message in the Secure Message Center on the Chase web site: https://www.quicken.com/support/adding-chase-accounts-quicken

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • c3po_3c3po_3 Unconfirmed, Member
    I have Quicken Deluxe 2017 R18.6 and my manually downloaded QFX file will NOT import. Getting "FINGER POINTING" fro Chase Bank Sopport and Quicken Support. Found this today on 2/10/2019:

https://www.iggsoftware.com/support/articles/ibank-5/manual-import-of-qfx-and-or-qif-files-from-chase-not-working/

Manual Import of QFX and/or QIF files from Chase not working

Posted on February 6, 2019 by John Sawyer

It has come to our attention that QFX and/or QIF files from Chase are not importing successfully anymore. We have investigated the issues here and have discovered that Chase is no longer adhering to the QFX or QIF specifications. We are not sure what changed on Chase’s end or why.

With QFX files each transaction is supposed to have a unique FITID according to the QFX spec. But Chase is not entering a FITID at all with the transactions now. All transactions in recent QFX files show “NONE”. In this case Banktivity is reading “NONE” as the unique ID with the first transaction listed in the file, which causes none of the other transactions to import because their ID is not unique, it matches with “NONE”.

In QIF files each transaction should be separated by a caret “^”. For some reason these carets are completely missing from the QIF file.

We do not have a way to force Banktivity to work with the QFX or QIF files Chase is providing at the moment, since they are not adhering to the QFX or QIF specifications. We have reported this to Chase from our end. But we encourage you to discuss this with Chase as well. As a customer, sometimes your voice gets heard louder than ours.

In the meantime, CSV files downloaded from Chase should import fine into Banktivity.

Problem May Be fixed

I just downloaded a Chase credit card QFX file that had FITID values that looked good.   All transactions in this file imported successfully.  The previous time I tried this for this account the FITID values were set to "NONE" and the import failed.

Can anyone else verify this fix?
  • LarryLarry Member ✭✭
    edited February 11
    Sherlock said:
    Chase is generating bad QFX files at this time.  Chase is apparently aware of the issue and are working on a fix.

Still wasn't working early this morning, but as of 11:00AM Central, Chase appears to have fixed it.
  • LarryLarry Member ✭✭
    Check that, still broken.   It works once after resetting the account, and then it fails again.  Then reset the account and update the single account again and it works, update it again and it fails.  Pathetic.
  • ismedinaismedina Member
    Just checked on mine and now it is working - using Quicken Web Connect. I would suggest you to clear your browser cache and your TEMP folder content. Good luck!!
  • GeoffG said:
    jschmid said:
    Please let us know when fixed.

Fix what? The out-dated QFX file method is Chase bank's responsibility to fix not Quicken Inc.
    GeoffG - My response was to the community, not quicken.  I fully realize it is NOT your issue.
  • Thanks for everyone working with Chase to get this fixed.  It's working for me!!
This discussion has been closed.