Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

downloaded transaction "matches" to a previously cleared transaction for same amount and CHANGES

DrNorm
DrNorm Member ✭✭
I see posts going back over 2 years with SAME issue but none with any resolution. I have had the problem that long, as well.

Running Quicken for Mac Premier 2019 Version 5.9.2  but has happened with Mac Premier 2018, as well. Currently using MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 but had the same issue with MacOS High Sierra. 

Time and time again, when I download my bank transactions (via Direct Connect thru Quicken) a newly downloaded deposit will "match" to a previously "cleared" transaction and the date of that previously cleared transaction will be CHANGED to the deposit posting date.

I have a web store with a limited # of items, so the bank deposits received are quite often the same 1/2 dozen different amounts. For example, a very common amount is $96.80 (net from a $100 sale). I typically manually enter a transaction into my register from my online store report, anticipating that the money (via EFT) will appear in my checking account within a few days.

Here is an example from today (1/11/2019): order #1524 was placed on 1/7/19 for $96.80. I had manually entered it the day of the order. I ran "synchronize accounts", but a bank deposit on 1/10/2019 for $96.80 did NOT match to "uncleared" order #1524 but instead, order #1495 (which was originally from 12/15/2018 and previously cleared) appeared in the register with the date changed to 1/10/2019.

This happens repeatedly and has even "matched" cleared deposits from more than 2 years ago, changing the dates of those transactions to current date (a MASSIVE issue for tax reporting if not caught!).

This is not a new problem and also happened with the 2018 version of the software.
This problem is almost bad enough (due to the risk of missing payments or having prior transactions changed to wrong tax year) that I am having to consider giving up on Quicken after 20+ years.

I had hoped the new CEO was really going to turn things around, but when you consider that Quicken is actively corrupting my data on a daily basis  (with serious tax and bookkeeping consequences) on top of the fact that there are still MINIMAL reporting features in Quicken for Mac (still can't even do a net worth report for a specific date) the ability to continue to rationalize staying with Quicken gets harder and harder. I would also add that changing from Windows versions has been a real disappointment and perhaps the reason for the majority of the problems. (but there is no easy way to "go back"....)

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited January 2019
    Use Quicken Connect, not direct
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    For QMac there is a preference setting that controls which data is used - your manually input data or the downloaded data. Have you looked through preferences?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • DrNorm
    DrNorm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    mshiggins said:

For QMac there is a preference setting that controls which data is used - your manually input data or the downloaded data. Have you looked through preferences?

yes. I had looked numerous times in various places for such a setting. There is definitely NOT such a setting either in the Preferences menu nor in the Account settings, download menu.
  • DrNorm
    DrNorm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Use Quicken Connect, not direct

Both my bank AND the Quicken instructions state that DIRECT CONNECT is absolutely the correct setting to be using. Especially so that online bill payment is functional.
  • DrNorm
    DrNorm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    mshiggins said:

There is a setting in preferences under the "connected services" tab that allows you to select whether to Use the posted date for matched transaction (instead of the date you enter manually). I had just UNCHECKED that preference after I posted this question (as I was looking for ANY setting that might be causing the problem) and will have to see if that prevents "downloaded" transactions from being matched to "previously cleared" transactions. In theory, it will (should) no longer change the dates of matched transactions but might actually make things worse if it matches a cleared transaction from 2 years prior, making it very hard to find and see that the erroneous match occurred. At least now, it changes the previously cleared transaction's date to the current date, which often allows the error to stand out (since I can see the order # is clearly out of sequence). If the error is still occurring, then newly downloaded transactions might just be ignored since the software would erroneously match them to a previously cleared transaction.
  • DrNorm
    DrNorm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    mshiggins said:

I realized this was a problem when a check written on 12/31 for tax year 2018 gets reconciled on 1/4/2019 and the date is changed to 2019. I would have to go back and manually change the date to the "desired" date.
  • DrNorm
    DrNorm Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    UPDATE: Now that I have turned-off "change date to posted date" it's actually MUCH WORSE because now it is simply just NOT downloading the transactions AT ALL. (technically, it is just "matching" to a previously cleared transaction but there is no way to know that, whereas before it was obvious b/c those older transactions were having their dates changed to current date) 

In yesterday's posted transactions is a transaction with an amount that is the same amount as a dozen previous transactions. I have the unmatched transaction already entered into my register but when I synched the account, it neither "matched" that transaction NOR downloaded the "new" transaction to add to the register. SO.... there was no match but if try to reconcile the account, it is "off" by exactly the amount of the unmatched/undownloaded transaction. 

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. I've been putting up with this for 2+ years but now that I am dealing with the frustrations the combination of AWFUL tax reporting capabilities (really, almost no reporting capabilities and the inability to not subtotal by tag!!) and this recurring problem, it may just be time to look elsewhere. (or perhaps give up on Quicken and move to Quickbooks?)

Any suggestions?   
This discussion has been closed.