Clairification please on "Note:Due to the size of the data file....

TJTJ Member ✭✭
edited January 15 in Reports (Windows)
I'm getting the following note when I try to run a report using Itemized Payees: "Note:Due to the size of the data file, not all payees are available in the 'Selected Payees List'.  You may also use 'Payee Contains' for filtering."  I'm trying to run a Itemized Payee report with 4 payees, 2 are on the drop down selection list and 2 are not how can I do this? What does this note mean and is there a way to fix it so it does not exist?

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    Hi @ TJ ,

See this Article and comment back with additional information:  https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • Jim_HarmanJim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11
    What year, version, and release number of Quicken are you running?

I have QWin Premier 2019 R17.6.

It appears that there is some limit to the number of payees that can be displayed in the selection list on the Payees tab when you are customizing a report.

There is a clickable note on that tab that indicates that by default it shows the payees you have used in the past 3 years and that if a payee you want is from longer ago than that, you can set the date range longer.

First, I would make sure the report's date range is no longer than it needs to be.

If you still don't see a payee you want, hopefully you can use the "Matching" at the right to select payees.
    -- Jim QWin Premier subscription
    edited January 11
    What is the total number of transactions in your file when you do a Ctrl-About Quicken?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    And, have you taken a look, in Preferences, at the "Remove Payees not used in last ___ months" option?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited January 12

And, have you taken a look, in Preferences, at the "Remove Payees not used in last ___ months" option?

I think the problem here is with the total number of different payees, not the memorized ones.

One way to keep this number down would be through the judicious use of renaming rules.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 12

I understand that, and that is after the fact, but my question and problem is how do I get to a point where I can select one of the payees that is not listed and 3 that are in order to print a Itemized Payee report of the 4 ? How do I know how much is too much that creates a too large data file, and what do I do to fix this conundrum?  I just would like to create a Spending > Itemize Payee Report with 3 payees that are on the drop down list and selected, and another that isn't on the dropdown list that I need to be selected but isn't there, for  a report with the 4 payees I need? Thanks Jim
    edited January 12
    From your other post, it sounds like the payees in question have similar names. Can you use the Payee Contains filter, or the Category instead?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12

Have you looked into trimming your Payee list ... as I suggested 19 hours ago?

Also, look thru the list and see if you have almost duplicates of the same payee.  Such as "Kroger #895" (the one we usually use) and "Kroger #775" (the one we occasionally use).

Then, merge them both into just "Kroger" ... unless you REALLY care at which store you purchased the gallon of milk.  Same for gas stations, etc.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited January 12

NotACPA, see my post above. It seems the problem is not with the memorized payees but with the total number of payees in his file. There is probably some undocumented limit to the number of items that can be shown in the selection list  for the report.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 12

I may have something corrupted. I'm showing payees that I have deleted from a given line item by just blanking the payee on that line item ( still keeping that payee name in the memo) so I know it's still in the register and what the payee is, to be showing still on the payee dropdown list, even though that payee was blanked out on the line in the register, and conversely on new payees that are in the register, but not in the dropdown list. What should I do now????? 
    edited January 12

One thing we have not suggested yet is validating and repairing your data file. Here is UKR's process:

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file "broken beyond repair".

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    If Quicken reports an error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019 repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Delete investing price history".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while. 
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 15
    Jim no luck on your suggested procedure. I've gone in and checked that and decided to try on a Payee with 1 entry named 4x Happiness (no it is not what you think it might be!) I kept the line entry just blanking out the Payee name but added that payee name to memo so I can revert back or do a Find/Repl or search to keep track of it Jim-  I'm running the 2019 R17.6. Can you try creating a line item for XYZ Co., save, then got back, go to reports, Spending Tab, Itemized Payee, Customize, Payees, and see if XYZ Co. is listed on the dropdown list? If it is can you go back to the line entry for XYZ in your register (delete the payee name), (XYZ Co.) Payee field will be blank, save, then go back to see if XYZ was deleted from the itemized payee drop down list used above to recreate what I'M doing and see what happens.  Surely I'm not the first to find this problem in Qkn 2019, but stranger things have happened....maybe it's in Quicken 2019????????
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 12
    Jim....I trimmed the lists, but that dropdown list still shows the payee even though the payee isn't not on the line item anymore, on the register. Qkn, is just not deleting them from the dropdown listnor is it adding new ones... to that dropdown list!
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 12
    24792 Transactions
    edited January 12
    TJ said:

Jim no luck on your suggested procedure. I've gone in and checked that and decided to try on a Payee with 1 entry named 4x Happiness (no it is not what you think it might be!) I kept the line entry just blanking out the Payee name but added that payee name to memo so I can revert back or do a Find/Repl or search to keep track of it Jim-  I'm running the 2019 R17.6. Can you try creating a line item for XYZ Co., save, then got back, go to reports, Spending Tab, Itemized Payee, Customize, Payees, and see if XYZ Co. is listed on the dropdown list? If it is can you go back to the line entry for XYZ in your register (delete the payee name), (XYZ Co.) Payee field will be blank, save, then go back to see if XYZ was deleted from the itemized payee drop down list used above to recreate what I'M doing and see what happens.  Surely I'm not the first to find this problem in Qkn 2019, but stranger things have happened....maybe it's in Quicken 2019????????

I tried this in a test file converted from a previous version of Quicken and like you, deleting all instances of a payee does not remove it from the report customization selection list. It even remains if I delete the entire transaction, and if I exit and restart Quicken. It did not go away from the selection list until I also deleted it from the Memorized Payee List.

However if I create a transaction for an entirely new payee and then delete it, the new payee DOES drop off the selection list, even if it is still in the Memorized Payee List.

That seems a little weird.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    For my QW2017, when customizing an Spending by Payee report, I can get to a help screen with the following statement:

If I change the time from from the my default (YTD) to Earliest to date, the list of payees available in the Select Payee box changes.  The list in that box is still not complete.  I am not sure what their routine is for populating that box.

Maybe that helps?
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 12
    I'm using latest Qkn 2019 Deluxe with R17.6 (latest Update) and I tried changing the years. I went 1 day over 3 yrs and tried, 1 day under 3 yrs and tried, and I I tried ALL dates going back to 2005 and nothing changed. I'd be happy to hear what Quicken would say about the problem. Thanks for getting back to me...!
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 13
    Thanks for your feedback Jim. Maybe someone at Quicken will pick up on this and respond. Perhaps a fix will come in an update or patch. Think there's any chance? It's pretty strange....leave it to me to find the strange ones ;-)  !. I tied the same as you, but the payee was not on my memorized payee list to start with.
    edited January 13
    TJ said:

Thanks for your feedback Jim. Maybe someone at Quicken will pick up on this and respond. Perhaps a fix will come in an update or patch. Think there's any chance? It's pretty strange....leave it to me to find the strange ones ;-)  !. I tied the same as you, but the payee was not on my memorized payee list to start with.

Hi @ TJ ,

Have you looked at the Memorized Payee List or the Online Payee List?

Whether or not the Payee exists in the Drop Down Window, is based on the Memorized Payee List.and the Online Payee List.

Click Tools and look down.

Also have you changed Checking Accounts at Banks. Are those Registers part of the Data File?
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13
    TJ said:

From C. D. Bales:

I don't know what the Quicken message you received means, I have never seen it or read of anyone else reporting it. At the end of the day, you may need to contact Quicken Support for that.

" ... go back to the line entry for XYZ in your register (delete the payee name), (XYZ Co.) Payee field will be blank, save ....".

I have no idea why you would ever go through that process.

I'm also not sure where the "Selected Payee List" is in the Itemized Payee report.

If you're referring to the Payees tab in the Customize dialog, there is no "dropdown" list there (or anywhere in the report that I know of).

In any event, as your problem description evolved over multiple posts in this discussion, I may have missed something, but (assuming you're referring to the list of payees on the Payees tab in the report Customize dialog) ...

The display of payees on the Payees tab of a report Customize dialog does not intend to list all payees ever used in your Quicken file: only those payees used in transactions that occurred in the last three years.

If the process you went through resulted in no transactions remaining in your Quicken file that occurred in the last 3 years for the blanked-out payee name, that might explain your problem.

I believe you should be able to determine that for yourself.

Run the report with the "Select All" payees button clicked; but use the "Payee contains" box to insure that Quicken can find that "missing" payee name, if it exists. Use a date range of "Include all dates". Make sure all Accounts, Categories, etc. are selected.

Note the details of any transactions reported for the "missing" payee.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 15
    TJ said:

MS ...wanted you to know that in looking through the community I found that you helped someone by the name of Bill Bowser 12 months ago with exactly the same problem that I talked about here, was closed without any resolution, only he didn't mention the "Note:Due.... message that I now see. Also I got a pfishing email about my blog from "Quicken Harold", was told to call 1-805-[removed], which I did but couldn't understand the person at all on a very poor line...he called back 2 times trying a better connection, on the third he never called. I could tell it was not a legit Quicken person as it sounded like I woke him up, but he wanted to try to help...others should be notified, someone maybe trying to get our financial information!!!
    edited January 14
    TJ said:

Hi @ TJ ,

If you bother to read my first link above, it would have warn you about the Spammers. You did not post any Quicken Information.
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    TJ said:

To whom it may concern: The "Bill Bowser" discussion cited by TJ.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/payees-missing-from-reports-payee-tab-but-are-in...
    There is another link in that discussion to an archived discussion, FWIW.  
  • TJTJ Member ✭✭
    edited January 15
    TJ said:

I read your link, I've been a bit overwhelmed with my issue spending a lot of time trying to get my head around it. Thanks for getting back to me, as I do appreciate it.

I'm running 2019 Deluxe & R17.6. As I commented to MS, there is another post I found today,regarding this problem that he responded to 12 months ago from Bill Bowser having my exact same problem that I was talking about. Seems it went nowhere, and post was eventually closed. So the problem exists.

I'm an older person and after 2 days of sitting in front of this screen all day, trying different things my eyes are giving out on me. I've used quicken for 15 years, and know enough that Quicken doesn't put it's resources into something only 2 people are concerned about.

I've just decided to not to use Itemized Payees for reports, as I usually need to look at about 4 payees at a time, and my problem will not allow me the ability to do that, so I will work around it by only using Itemized Categories, as work arounds seem to be the way to get around problems Quicken doesn't address...done that for years.

If you're using 2019, I'd encourage you to try adding a bogus payee in a register, creating a new line item, then go to reports and try a itemized Payee report, and try using the itemized payee dropdown list to see if that new bogus payee shows on the list to create the report from. I suspect it is a common problem, however I also suspect few people use Itemized Payee reports.

I need a day away from this PC, as my wife nearly called the police on me yesterday after seeing me and thought there was a stranger in the house. I'll get more info to you soon...thanks again respectfully.

Windows 10 and I let auto update do the work