I need to split tags on a vendor invoice

We own/operate a B&B and live on premises. As such, a portion of all of our expenses are business (oil, electric, repairs, etc). When I receive an invoice from a vendor, is there a way to enter the entire invoice and then split the business and personal portions with a tag?  I've been entering just the business portion as an invoice but that makes it hard to go back and find the invoice and associated payments at a later date.

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    edited January 13
    Have you tried this when creating a new Vendor Invoice?

Use two line items, one categorized to a personal Utilities category, one to a Business Utilities category.
    The "Business tag" is set to the tag you use for your B&B
  • pdallen1970pdallen1970 Member
    edited January 18
    Right now, I run all of my reports on a business tag, so the "solution" would be to nearly double my categories?  Personal Oil, Business Oil; Personal Electricity, Business Electricity; Personal Property Tax, Business Property Tax?

All I need to do is to be able to split an invoice the same way I can split a payment.  If there is no invoice and I am just paying the electric bill, I can enter two expense lines - one tagged with the business tag and all is good...
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 14

Right now, I run all of my reports on a business tag, so the "solution" would be to nearly double my categories?  Personal Oil, Business Oil; Personal Electricity, Business Electricity; Personal Property Tax, Business Property Tax?

All I need to do is to be able to split an invoice the same way I can split a payment.  If there is no invoice and I am just paying the electric bill, I can enter two expense lines - one tagged with the business tag and all is good...

From C. D. Bales:

You can assign a Tag to a Vendor invoice Category line by suffixing the Category with a forward slash followed by the Tag name (Example: Electricity/MyBusiness).

[You can do the same with any transaction in Quicken where you have access to the Category field.]
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 14

I think I tried this before and found that the entire invoice is tagged for the business by default and that carries over to the payment.  If I remove the default Business Tag and tag as you suggested, if I make a single payment for the whole invoice, will the payment split the same way?

I was afraid to remove that default tag, not knowing what doing this would do to reports? Any insight on that? Anything I should keep an eye for in reporting?
    edited January 15

From C. D. Bales:

"I was afraid to remove that default tag ....".

Remove the Business Tag. When that tag is entered on the invoice, it will be applied to all invoice lines which you don't want (and it will be additive to any different tags you might assign to individual invoice lines).

Income (from Customer Invoices) and expenses (from Vendor Invoices) are determined by the categories specified in invoice transactions.

The part the payment plays relates to what "basis" you use: if you use the "Accrual basis", income/expense occur when the invoice is recorded (the payment plays no part); if you use the "Cash basis", income/expense occur when the invoice is paid.

" ... the entire invoice is tagged for the business by default ....".

In my tests, no Business Tag is applied to an invoice by default.

" ... and that carries over to the payment".

In my tests, no tag (business, or otherwise) is applied to an invoice payment by Quicken. Invoice payments will be transfers from the invoice account to some "deposit account" (typically a business checking account). The user can apply a tag to that transfer after Quicken creates it.

[Note: Quicken always applies partial payments proportionally to the individual line items in the invoice. This only impacts those using the Cash basis with multiple-line-item invoices, who wish to apply partial payments to specific invoice line items.]
    edited January 15

Thanks - I will have to play around with it I guess.  Any idea how to remove the business tag from new invoices?  Looking around, it looks ,like I would need to remove it from the business set up which would have far-reaching implications on reports, etc.
    edited January 16

From C. D. Bales:

"Any idea how to remove the business tag from new invoices?"

As I noted above; in my tests, I was not seeing Quicken enter a Business Tag in invoices by default.

But I tested again today, and discovered that after you create at least one invoice with a Business Tag, Quicken begins to assign that Business Tag to subsequent invoices you create.

As soon as I removed the Business Tag from all my invoices, Quicken stopped entering one for me in new invoices.

So my suggestion is pretty much the same as earlier: remove the Business Tag from all your invoices. Hopefully then Quicken will not add a Business Tag to your future new invoices.
    edited January 17

OK - I had a split invoice to try this on today. I removed the tag from the top corner of the invoice and entered two lines on the invoice - one with the "/businesstag" and one without.  I created a post-dated payment (it's on auto pay) for the full amount.  When I run my reports, which run on "Tag contains: businesstag", the amount allotted to business on the invoice line does not show up".
    edited January 18

From C. D. Bales:

" I created a post-dated payment ....".

Quoting myself:

"The part the payment plays relates to what "basis" you use: if ... if you use the "Cash basis", income/expense occur when the invoice is paid".

The "invoice is paid" on the payment transaction date - not the date you record the payment.

If you are on the "Cash basis" and the invoice payment date is after the end date of the report, there is no income ... yet.

Change the date range of the report to include the date of the invoice payment.
    edited January 18

I did.