2019 Win is running slow

2»

Comments

• rothermjrothermj Member
    After using quicken for 10+ years I'm sad to say that I just canceled my subscription because of the extreme slowness I experience when entering transactions.  I wanted to thank everyone on these forums because I have been scouring them for over a year when I first experienced the immediate slowness after a Quicken update.  I just now joined the community so I can share this and to possibly subscribe to this thread to get a notification if they ever fix the issue. I have tried many of your suggestions and waited for update after update with the hope of getting a fix but I have had no such luck and I'm tired of trying all of these options which are really just workarounds to some kind of design issue with how the newer quicken writes the transactions to the database/quicken file system. 

I did want to offer my 2 cents on the suggestion of hardware being an issue in case anyone is tempted go out and buy a brand new computer hoping it will fix the issue.  I have a custom built desktop computer with the following specs:  Core i7 4/8 core cpu, very fast SSD, 16 GB RAM, a very good GPU, Gigabit Fiber Internet, and Windows 10.  When entering a transaction in Quicken on my same machine it used to be instant, less than 1 second.  Now it takes about 5-6 seconds per transaction on a good day and I do see an overall spike in CPU utilization of about 15% during that time.  I can actually see the qw.exe task go from 0% up to 14% utilization so it is definitely hitting the CPU but I have plenty of available CPU, GPU, memory, and disk space as well as very fast disk speed so it could handle much much more.  If you have a really old computer and are seeing slower times than I am, say 20-30 seconds to enter the transaction like I read in a post on one of these forums, you might see a performance gain with newer or better hardware.  However, I'm guessing that even with the newest hardware you are still going to experience the slowness up to 5-6 seconds which is still extremely frustrating and unacceptable when you need to enter hundreds or thousands of transactions.

The root issue certainly appears to be within the quicken software.   There are so many factors that can be contributing to the issue in their underlying code and I certainly don't know enough about this code or design to be able to speak to it but when its all said and done a single financial transaction entry of this size should not require 14-15% of my CPU and take 5-6 seconds.  I think we all know it worked fine for so many years on older, slower hardware and operating systems.  I know it is not the same but I have developed software solutions and integrations that process thousands of transactions/second on windows machines utilizing less CPU. 

I am convinced that Quicken has to fix the issue on their side and I hope they do it before they lose many more customers.  

• skeleton567skeleton567 Member ✭✭
    I'm a Quicken user since the very early versions, starting my use in 1986.  I have found that the main thing effecting the speed of the application is the file size and number of transactions.  I typically keep a number of years in my live file, currently all bank and credit card transacitons since 2010, and all investment transactions since 1986.  As the file grows, entering transactions becomes slower, to the point that the register flickers and jitters as the transaction just entered or updated is saved.  And the save takes longer and longer.  The only solution is to archive more data and reduce file size ( number of transactions in the live file ).  This certainly appears to be a feature of the secret file structure they insist on using but not disclosing.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that the main thing effecting the speed of the application is the file size and number of transactions.
    My experience differs. I run Quicken on 2 different Windows 7 64 bit computers with very similar specifications (i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Nvidia video, etc.). Using the exact same data file, one computer runs Quicken fast and the other runs slow. On one computer, I can see my register repaint 3 times at startup, while on the other computer it just appears without repainting.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro x64.
This discussion has been closed.