Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

download set-up not allowing linking Quicken account name to multiple T Rowe Price funds

jon857
jon857 Member ✭✭
I am setting up QM2017 ver 4.8.3 using OS Sierra. When I attempt to set-up my TRowe Price funds I am only allowed to link One TRP account (fund) to the existing Quicken Account Name although I see all of my TRP accounts available to select. Is this a problem distinct to QM2017? Is there a work around. Was looking forward to finally stop adding transactions manually but this situation is a no go. Might as well stay with QM2007

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019
    Could you post a screenshot of where you're getting stuck (the point where you see all of your TRP accounts available to select)?

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-...
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    I have the same problem with a 529 plan at American Funds.

It has 5 mutual funds, but QMac 2019 only lets me link to one.

Or put another way, it wants each mutual fund to be its own account.

Is this a problem with the provider, or Quicken?
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Same issue
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Just looked at my QWIN to be sure...
    My TRP funds are exactly like your QMAC - each fund is a single fund acct.
    As a comparison - all my other accts at Vanguard, Fidelity, Chase, Schwab, Ally -
    are multi funds under the single account..... the TRP folks are just different.
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Here's a screenshot of the setup screen where I get stuck.  Note the comma-separated account numbers.  Maybe Quicken could recognize this and group everything with the same major account number (blacked out) together.
  • Margaret
    Margaret Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The workaround, which doesn't seem to me as much as a work around as in Quicken not explaining or coding their software, is to update the one account which does link, then select the next account, update (yes, its going to be with the same TRP username and password), and so on. Not unique to Quicken and TRP; I just had to do this multiple times to update account info for my multiple Ally checking and savings accounts.
  • John Burgess
    John Burgess Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Margaret said:

The workaround, which doesn't seem to me as much as a work around as in Quicken not explaining or coding their software, is to update the one account which does link, then select the next account, update (yes, its going to be with the same TRP username and password), and so on. Not unique to Quicken and TRP; I just had to do this multiple times to update account info for my multiple Ally checking and savings accounts.

I’ll have to try this hack, I mean, get around. Thanks for suggesting it.
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Before I go and use this nifty work around. (Wish there had been some
    DOCUMENTATION. Very frustrated with the lack of communication about how
    the program has been redesigned) Will this over write my existing
    transaction history? Is there a way to append the data to the existing?
  • jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    RickO said:

Could you post a screenshot of where you're getting stuck (the point where you see all of your TRP accounts available to select)?

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-...

• Margaret
    Margaret Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Well, it's not just the 2017 version but also the 2019. Yup, documentation is poor. My experience is that, if you have already downloaded the transaction, once you update the password (which is of course needed if you to reset links but also if you simply changed your transaction account password) it will not overwrite your history. I'll admit however I don't know if this is true for updating from a 2007 version (I only started using quicken in 2015). I had a very special situation recently (won't go into it, not relevant to your scenario or the typical) which resulted in a few duplicates. As I "religiously" mark as reviewed my transactions, it was easy to see those few duplicates marked by the blue circle. If you haven't marked yours as reviewed, I would suggest you consider that before you update your accounts if you are concerned about catching duplicates. 

• jon857
    jon857 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Margaret said:

Interesting experience. Was chatting with online help about my issue and they were kinda stuck. So while they were researching I linked 1 of my fund accounts and 1 of each of my 2 children's ESA accounts for a total of 3 of the 19 and selected continue anticipating I would need to repeat for other funds and see what happens. Never got that far. What I found is that once 1 mutual fund for that registration was linked they all were and they all appropriately populated the respective Quicken accounts. So there you have it. Accidentally  stumbled into a working operation. Heck of a way to run software development. Need Quicken Documentation which would avoid a lot of user frustration.
  • jschaffe
    jschaffe Member ✭✭✭
    This is pretty ridiculous, actually.  I have a normal, non-retirement account with TRP as well as an IRA.  I can't get Q19/Mac to properly link to either one of these; Q19 insists on linking every single fund from either TRP account into its own individual Q19 account, and one at a time at that.  Neither user friendly nor acceptable.

More <sarcasm> entertaining </sarcasm> is the way TRP and Q point the finger at each other.  TRP lets me log in and see all the funds I have, but sent me to Q tech support for help.  Q says TRP sends the data that way, so Q19 has to match one TRP fund to a single Q19 account.  "Nothing they can do."  

If it's true that TRP accounts are handled properly in Q/Windows or Mint, then it's a defect in Q19/Mac, there's defective Q/Mac server software at TRP, or there's some special code in Q/Windows or Mint for TRP, which could be ported to the Mac product.  

This needs to be fixed, and these two organizations need to put their heads together and do so.
This discussion has been closed.