Data from Quicken Deluxe 98 -> QWin 2013 -> Now how to convert to QMac

Can I import/use backup files generated by Quicken deluxe 98 on Windows to use a newly installed version of Quicken 2018 for a Mac?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Please read and follow instructions here to convert your Q Windows 98 file into something that Q Mac can process
    http://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

About converting a Quicken Windows file with Quicken Mac
    https://www.quicken.com/support/converting-quicken-windows-quicken-mac-2016

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Maybe.  The toughest part will be getting Quicken for Windows (QW) 2004 to convert your data file (it is a multi-file data set, so you have to have all the pieces) (See this article on what files you will need: Quicken Data File Extensions )

See the instructions in this article to do the actual conversion from 98->2004->2013 in Windows: Using an Intermediate Version To Convert Older Versions of Quicken - Quicken® Support 

They used to supply a QW2000, but that has been removed from the article.

Once you have it converted to QW2013, my understanding is that subscription Quicken for Mac (2018+) should be able to open and convert the data file directly.

But as stated earlier, the 98->2004 may be the tough part since QW2000 is no longer provided.

Good luck.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris GilesChris Giles Member
    edited January 14
    Thanks. Have installed 2004 but have yet to convert and install data. First attempt failed! I'm considering creating QIF files for the dozen or so accounts and importing them. Alternatively I could just create new data files with opening balances for 1st Jan 2019. I'm not really interested in uptodate software; is there a older Mac version that would run in latest Apple software?
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14

Thanks. Have installed 2004 but have yet to convert and install data. First attempt failed! I'm considering creating QIF files for the dozen or so accounts and importing them. Alternatively I could just create new data files with opening balances for 1st Jan 2019. I'm not really interested in uptodate software; is there a older Mac version that would run in latest Apple software?

QM does not support QIF file imports, so you would have to do all of the importing in QW.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

edited January 14

OK thanks I'll see how I get on. No time tomorrow however!!
    edited January 19
    I have successfully installed Quicken 2004 then 2013 and created data files that reflect an accurate set of my financial accounts stored in .QDF file.  I could stay with 2013 its running on my Windows 8 machine, but it might be better to switch to my brand new iMac and install Quicken 2018. I understand that I do not need to renew the annual subscription if I no longer require support or internet access. If I take this path can I easily convert the Windows 2013 data to Mac 2018?
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have successfully installed Quicken 2004 then 2013 and created data files that reflect an accurate set of my financial accounts stored in .QDF file. .... If I take this path can I easily convert the Windows 2013 data to Mac 2018?
    I don't think so - unfortunately the QWindows and the QMac versions are different products - again, I don't think they share a common file format...
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10