Qwin 2019, File Ops > Copy, unchecking "include attachments" issue

Until last night, I was still on Qwin 2015. In order to solve an issue (very large - 1.17gb - file size), I upgraded to Qwin 2019 (deluxe) to take advantage of the new option to uncheck "include attachments" when doing a file copy.

So after the upgrade was complete I attempted the file copy making sure that box was unchecked. Surprisingly, my attachments were still copied! I did this 2 times and both times attachments were copied. I know this because file size remained within a few bytes of the same size and when I viewed the QDF via 7-zip, the Attach folder was still present.

This morning I decided to give it one more try. So I once again copied my original file and once again attachments were copied despite "include attachments" being unchecked. This time though I opened the new copy and then copied it. This time it worked. My file size went from 1.17gb to 32.6mb. Success!

However...why did it take a double copy procedure to work? And, given that I had to do a double copy procedure, should I be worried about any data integrity?

So to sum up:
Windows 10 (Home, 1803, 17134.523)
Qwin 2015 > Qwin 2019 R17.6
File Operations > Copy > "include attachments" unchecked did not work on a first copy; had to copy the copy to work.
Why?

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Not sure how this fits in, but when Quicken deletes transactions or even an account, it does not give any file space back, it just marks it able to be used.  Doing a File->File Operations->Copy will shrink the file's size.

It would seem that doing the copy with the "include attachments" unchecked would reduce the file the first time.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW 2015, 2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15
    There may have been some data file corruption impacted by the initial Copy.  Perhaps the corruption existed in the Quicken 2015 data file.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
  • texasniteowltexasniteowl Member
    edited January 14
    Sherlock said:

There may have been some data file corruption impacted by the initial Copy.  Perhaps the corruption existed in the Quicken 2015 data file.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

I think at one point I did run a validate on the file before I did the Copy, but it might have been after the upgrade. I'll run through that process again.

In the end, I'm ok with having to do the copy twice to get the attachments stripped as long as the resulting data is valid/not corrupt.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14
    Sherlock said:

If you follow the guidance, you do a Copy before the Validate and Repair.
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 10 
    edited January 15
    Sherlock said:

So, here is what I did today.

1. Went back to my last Qwin2015 file and let Qwin2019 reconvert it.
    2. Made a copy. (File Ops > Copy, did not uncheck any boxes)
    3. Validated copy. There were no read errors. There were a couple of damaged transactions. These were from some transactions in accounts dated before 1/1/2004.
    4. I deleted these accounts that reported errors during the validation. (They had long since been marked closed.)
    5. I re-validated the file. No errors.
    6. Made a copy, this time I did UNCHECK the "include attachments" box.

****Once again, Qwin copied the attachments despite the box being unchecked. In spite of the validation having no errors, during the copy I did get a couple of notifications that there was trouble copying an attachment. At the end, the QDF file had the same number of folders and files in the Attach folder as a previous file. So attachments were copied.

7. Ran Copy again, again with include attachments unchecked and this time, it performed as expected, not copying attachments. ie. no Attach folder in the QDF.

So, I'm still having to run Copy twice to get the expected behavior.
    edited January 15
    Sherlock said:

Sounds like a bug to me, it should either work right the first time or there should be a note saying it has to be done twice.

edited January 15
    Sherlock said:

Yeah. At this point, I have to go with "bug" too. About the only other thing I could have done is to validate my 2015 file before the upgrade/conversion. But of course, Qwin2019 uninstalled 2015 as part of the install.

At this point I am going to start using the end result file, the copy of the copy that has the attachments removed. It's only a 31.9mb file vs. a 1.16gb file! Since I've been through validation and all current account balances look right, I'm as confident as I can be that data integrity is OK. So the plan is to roll with it.
    edited January 15
    Sherlock said:

I just tested this.  I don't do attachments in Quicken, so I had to add a few to one of my accounts.  I used a big JPG file (4MB) so that I could definitely see the file size change.  I did just the File Operations Copy with the attachments deselected and it worked the first time.
    Now, why it worked for me and it takes you twice, I can't explain, but in my test, it worked as expected.

edited January 15
    Sherlock said:

Well, I'm going to guess it could be because I had over 3500 attachments (or at least, over that many folders in the attach folder in the qdf) spanning at least 4+ yrs?  I mean, at least it did work even though it took 2 runs.
This discussion has been closed.