Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Filtered account view - balance is inaccurate

roadsterfoodie
roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
I'm using Quicken for Mac 2019 on Mac OS X Mojave 10.14.2 and many times I have been thrown off by this, but when I use filters to view an account register, such as 'Uncleared,' the balance that appears with each transaction is way off. It appears that Quicken recalculates the balance based on only the filtered transactions but isn't that flawed? Should it not simply filter the transactions, keeping the balance for each transaction consistent with the unfiltered view? The only way to see accurate balances is to use an unfiltered view. Either the balance in a filtered view should be accurate or it should be hidden. Or am I missing something? 

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The Running Balance in any version of Quicken is only meaningful if the account register is NOT filtered in any way and is sorted by Date.
    Quicken does not store the balance that a printed bank statement would show for this transaction on that date. It calculates a running balance as the sum of the shown transactions in the sort order in effect.
    Because a filtered view's balance is not meaningful, in Q Mac 2019 it will be shown as greyed out. In some other versions of Quicken it may not be shown at all.
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for your reply! When I look at an account register with a filtered view in Quicken for Mac 2019, it actually looks no different from when the filters are cleared. Balances do not appear greyed out. Negative balances are red and positive balances are black. Only future transactions have their entire rows greyed out. It makes sense that a balance would not be meaningful unless the register is sorted by date, but wouldn't it make sense that as soon as you change the sort method to say, Payee or Category, or a filter is applied, that the balance column would simply be cleared completely? I guess you're saying that this is how it works with some versions. From what I'm seeing, however, this is not the case with the latest version of Quicken for Mac. 
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Thanks for your reply. I went back and looked again - I haven't been using this version of Quicken for very long - a few months - so apologies for the newbie question. I used Quicken continuously for 20 years from 1992 until 2012, but switched to Moneydance when Quicken for Mac was neglected.

So on second look, I actually found that when a register view is filtered and it is sorted by date in Q for Mac, it appears no differently from when the register is unfiltered - balances are not grayed out. Negative balances are red and positive balances are black and they are not accurate. Only the entire row for future transactions are grayed out.

However, when I switch to any other sorting method other than date, whether filtered or unfiltered, the running balance is indeed grayed out and italicized. That looks fine - although it might make more sense simply to make them blank, especially for filtered views. So maybe the problem is that with filtered views that are sorted by date, the running balance should be grayed out and is not? 
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

Thanks for your reply. I went back and looked again - I haven't been using this version of Quicken for very long - a few months - so apologies for the newbie question. I used Quicken continuously for 20 years from 1992 until 2012, but switched to Moneydance when Quicken for Mac was neglected.

So on second look, I actually found that when a register view is filtered and it is sorted by date in Q for Mac, it appears no differently from when the register is unfiltered - balances are not grayed out. Negative balances are red and positive balances are black and they are not accurate. Only the entire row for future transactions are grayed out.

However, when I switch to any other sorting method other than date, whether filtered or unfiltered, the running balance is indeed grayed out and italicized. That looks fine - although it might make more sense simply to make them blank, especially for filtered views. So maybe the problem is that with filtered views that are sorted by date, the running balance should be grayed out and is not? 

You are right... filters do not turn the balance column gray as they should. I believe this is an oversight in the code. I'll pass it along.

For the record, I was against this change to make the balance column visible when except when unfiltered and date sorted. But the dev team felt that some people use that as a method to total up transactions. The compromise was to turn the column gray/italic. Apparently that didn't make it to the filtered view as it should have.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Sounds good! Thanks for passing it along. 
  • roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I've also been using the reporting feature in Quicken for Mac 2019 and it would really be great for that to be improved. Then perhaps fewer people will use that oddly visible balance column in the check register to total up transactions. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

The I highly recommend you to add your VOTES to related IDEAS found on the:Click on each underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

For background, you may want to read this post too. BTW, the columnar-type report is the basis for MANY other reports, as described in detail in this post a little lower; only the selection and formatting criteria are different.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• roadsterfoodie
    roadsterfoodie Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Great! I will definitely take a look and vote! Thanks.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2019

In most cases, you don't even need a report. Since the total of selected transactions is presented right in the register, after you filter/search, all you need to do is select-all and the number is right there. That was my argument for why the balance column could remain blanked in this situation.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Administrator, Employee ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Thanks to RickO for reporting this to me. 

The other thing to note in regards to reports is that Quicken Mac doesn't show many reports by default.  You need to click on New Report to create a report from scratch.  Quicken Mac supports, transaction, summary and comparison reports and you can group them by category, payee, tag, etc and then customize them with specific date ranges, or accounts, categories, etc. There's quite a lot of power under-the-hood but people used to the old versions of Quicken think they have to start with a default report.  We plan to expose more reports by default but just haven't had the time to do it yet.  We're still building the engine out to support more types of reports before we loop back to extend the default reports.
This discussion has been closed.