Why is a simple manually entered transaction so difficult !

I used to be able to hit "return" to enter a transaction manually, after doing so the register would automatically open up a new transaction field in the next line up. My cursor would automatically be in the date field, just by moving the arrow button I could adjust the date as needed AND also move over to the next field. Just by using the arrow I could quickly move across the entire transaction. Now I have to use shortcut keys or move my cursor? Is there not better option? The next check number should already be populated. 

Comments

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Hi @ coppermocha ,

See this Article:   https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-...

Are you talking about Register? Comment back with additional information.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • coppermochacoppermocha Member
    edited January 16
    Quicken 2017 version 4.83
    Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.2

I have been using Quicken for over 20 years, used Windows until the mac version came out. Switched several years ago. Maybe I should downgrade to the starter version for simplicity sake. I just want to manually enter transactions into my register in the most quick and efficient way possible. My financial institution does not provide online access to download 
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16

Quicken 2017 version 4.83
    Mac OS Mojave version 10.14.2

I have been using Quicken for over 20 years, used Windows until the mac version came out. Switched several years ago. Maybe I should downgrade to the starter version for simplicity sake. I just want to manually enter transactions into my register in the most quick and efficient way possible. My financial institution does not provide online access to download 

You do not want to downgrade to Starter, if you did and your subscription expired, Starter Edition goes into READ-ONLY mode and is useless except as a way to look at your OLD history.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Wes PullenWes Pullen Member
    edited January 16
    You can use the Tab key to move through the fields.
    edited January 16
    Am i wrong in thinking that the old old windows version was so much easier to manually enter individual transactions into the register?

edited January 16

You can use the Tab key to move through the fields.

Thank you ! Why could i not find this answer in my search through Help. Really just made my day!
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16
    Check number: When in the check number field, click the +/= key on the keyboard (no shift necessary) and the next check number will fill. I think this is preferred because the next transaction you're entering is not always a check.

New transaction: I think from the context of your original post, you already know that Command-N will save the current transaction and start a new one. No need to hit Return first. You may not also know that you can change Command-N to a different keystroke if you prefer. See this:

macOS Custom Keyboard Shortcuts
    edited January 17
    In the Check# column the next transaction is always a check for me anyway. 
    The Action column is not always the same however
    edited January 17

It's a tradeoff I guess. For many people (maybe even most) there are many transactions in the checking account that are not checks. In my case, less than half are checks. And of those that are checks, less than 20% are written checks as opposed to bill pay generated checks. 

I would find it really annoying if the check number we automatically entered every time I tabbed through that column and I had to stop and delete it. Hitting the +/= key shouldn't be a big deal, I hope.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17

Agreed. Cheques are far less common today, even for us, who use about 100 written ones per year.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 17

The date column it for the date, the action column is for EFT, W/D, Deposit etc, the Check # column is for the check number. For those who don't write checks delete the column. I would like it to at least be an option in settings but maybe thats asking too much
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17

you can adjust the columns that show up in every register. Click on the Columns icon:

Note that you have to do this separately for each register.

You may You want to an add your VOTE to 
    Ability to Set Default Columns, Sort and Sizes to Account Registers.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for User Interface Options and Features. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 17

@coppermocha... If you are like me, you still write the occasional check and therefore cannot delete the check number column. However, if only one out of every 20 checking account transactions is a check, you would have to delete the auto entered number 19 times vs hitting the plus key once per 20 transactions. I'd MUCH rather do the latter.

That said, I don't have any objection if this is an option in settings. You might want to create a new IDEA post called "Auto enter check number for every new checking transaction" and see how many votes it gets. I have to say, though, that with the limited development resources the team has available and the huge number improvement requests already on the table, I don't see this happening anytime soon.
  • Wes PullenWes Pullen Member
    edited January 17

I write 1 or 2 checks a year. So I have left the check# field blank and when I create a new transaction the check field is empty. I also moved the field to the far right slot. So if I need to put a check number in I can, otherwise it is blank.