I closed several old accounts Now I want to delete them. How do I delete?

In doing a validation several accounts were created. One account has a blank line as a transaction. The others have no entries. I closed these account. I would like to delete these accounts from my file. Help?  I an using Quicken 2019 Premier. I did the validation several weeks ago, so I can't go to a backup.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited January 18
    Go to the Tools menu, then Account List, "edit" the account and Delete will be on the edit window.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RLNorrisRLNorris Member
    edited January 24
    When I go to the Account list and click on Edit  nothing happens the Account Details windows does not appear.  These accounts have been closed maybe that why the edit windows doesn't colmezup.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator
    edited January 24
    RLNorris said:

When I go to the Account list and click on Edit  nothing happens the Account Details windows does not appear.  These accounts have been closed maybe that why the edit windows doesn't colmezup.

Hello RLNorris,

Thank you for that additional information.  Although the account has been closed in Quicken, the Account Details window should still open.  If you haven't already, please attempt to right-click on the closed account from the Account List that goes down either the left or right side of Quicken.

Select Edit/Delete Account from the menu that opens, this should open the Account Details window with the button to delete the account as seen in the image below, but please let us know how it goes and if the Account Details window will still not open.

Thank you,

Sarah
    edited January 24
    Sarah,

When I right click on Edit/Delete of the bad account the Edit Details screen does not appear. On the other accounts the Edit Details does appear.  

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 24
    RLNorris said:

From C. D. Bales:

"These accounts have been closed maybe that why the edit windows doesn't colmezup".

That's not why.

Closed accounts are normally still accessible. They can be opened by left-clicking their name in the Account Bar or left-clicking their name in the Account List. Their Edit Account Details dialog can be opened by the techniques already offered in this discussion.

You have something wrong - if those seemingly inaccessible accounts were created by Validate, that suggests data corruption to me ... corruption that may be preventing you from getting where you want to go.

Try creating a dummy transaction (in one of your accessible accounts) that is a transfer to a closed account (put the closed account name in square brackets in the Category field). Right-click that transaction and choose "Go to matching transfer". Once in the closed account, click the Account Actions gear-wheel icon and choose Edit Account Details. Then delete the account.

If that approach works, re-create the dummy transfer transaction for each of the remaining closed accounts.
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
    edited January 27
    When I create the dummy transaction the bad accounts do not show up in the Transfer list.  If I go to Manage Hidden Accounts the 'Hide in Transaction Entry Lists' is checked and grey out, so I cannot uncheck.
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser
    edited January 27
    RLNorris said:

When I create the dummy transaction the bad accounts do not show up in the Transfer list.  If I go to Manage Hidden Accounts the 'Hide in Transaction Entry Lists' is checked and grey out, so I cannot uncheck.

From C. D. Bales:

"When I create the dummy transaction the bad accounts do not show up in the Transfer list".

Just key in the correct transfer category manually.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
This discussion has been closed.