quicken 2017 won't start

Quicken 2017 Home & Business. Was working fine until two days ago when suddenly it wouldn't load. It flashes briefly and then goes away. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, tried everything I could find on the web and have the same problem. Here is the log from the most recent attempt to start it:

###################Thursday, January 17, 10:56:54#####################
ERROR:An unhandled exception event invoked in the Application Domain

Exception details:

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Quicken.Authorization.Logger' threw an exception. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

at System.Configuration.ExceptionUtil.WrapAsConfigException(String outerMessage, Exception e, String filename, Int32 line)

at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Init(IInternalConfigRoot configRoot, BaseConfigurationRecord parent, String configPath, String locationSubPath)

at System.Configuration.RuntimeConfigurationRecord.Create(InternalConfigRoot configRoot, IInternalConfigRecord parent, String configPath)

at System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigRoot.GetConfigRecord(String configPath)

at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.get_AppSettings()

at Quicken.Authorization.Logger.LoadConfiguration()

at Quicken.Authorization.Logger..cctor()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Quicken.Authorization.Logger.set_TraceSourceLevels(SourceLevels value)

at Intuit.Ctg.Services.Authentication.AuthenticationServices..ctor()

at QuickenWindow.Config.ContainerConfig.ConfigureServices()

at QuickenWindow.App..ctor()

at QuickenWindow.Program.ShowMain()

at QuickenWindow.Program.Main()

Forcefully terminating application.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    You did not mention if you rebooted your PC.  That should always be step one.  Since you've tried reinstalling without success, I would recommend a clean uninstall using this utility here.  Hopefully this will provide you with an operational Quicken installation.  If not, do you have any other system issues?
    Once you have Quicken running, you should validate the data file to ensure it's not corrupted.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • Chuck SaccoChuck Sacco Member
    edited January 18
    Geoff - thanks for this, and yes I did run those utilities as well as rebooted. I've done a pretty deep dive into this and don't have an answer. Some clues on the web regarding recent Microsoft patches but I've uninstalled what I could and still no luck.  I've also moved my data file to a new location so Quicken won't try to open it automatically so it should at least be coming up to prompt me to find and open a data file, but it never gets that far. 
    edited January 27
    Sorry I cannot offer more assistance, but once you do get this sorted out you can open Quicken in Safe mode by selecting Ctrl-Shift while selecting the icon.  This opens Quicken without any data file.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18
    Hi @ Chuck Sacco ,

See this Article: Uninstalling / Reinstalling does not make the cut, in my book.

https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/installing-reinstalling-and-upgrading-to-windows...

After you reinstall according to the Article, create a Brand New Dummy Quicken Data File with a simple Cash Account.

Then do a Manual Restore of your latest Manual Backup you made.

Questions? Don't skip a step.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R21.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.4

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

edited January 27
    Thank you, but I ran through this exactly as written and still no luck. Some other research seems to indicate recent Microsoft patches may be in play. 
    edited January 19

Thank you, but I ran through this exactly as written and still no luck. Some other research seems to indicate recent Microsoft patches may be in play. 

So could this be more Win10 1809 fallout?
    edited January 19

Could be. I just bought and downloaded the most recent version of Quicken and have the same problem. 
    edited January 19

Hi @ Chuck Sacco ,

Did you create a dummy Quicken Data File, which wasn't part of the Article?

I asked this because I have Build 17763.253 installed with Quicken 2019 Home, Business & Rental Property and can open Quicken with no problems, save for the first time after starting up, it loads slowly up.

Vote:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20022841#Comment_20022841

edited January 20

Finally got Quicken working. I had to manually install Win10 1809 to make it happen. The Win update resulted in some other bad behavior on my laptop but at least I have Quicken back (for the time being). Thanks for your help. 
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19

Dang those Windows 10 updates... has caused me many hair-pulling moments...Glad you sorted it out....

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Bill DurhamBill Durham Member
    edited January 19

I was having this problem and did the WIN 10 1809 update and Quicken Home and Business worked once.. then the problem came back.. can you still open Quicken?
  • Bill DurhamBill Durham Member
    edited January 20
    Here is the error information Win 10 Spit out for me..  
    Faulting application name: qw.exe, version: 27.1.17.6, time stamp: 0x5c25a0a2
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.194, time stamp: 0xf3450dbf
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000e0e23
    Faulting process id: 0xb88
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4b0865e24bd41
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: fdcbef3d-e8a4-44bf-800a-5f4c55d3e47f
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.17763.194, time stamp: 0xf3450dbf

Sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and completely reload Windows.
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited January 20

Yes, so far I can. Wondering if it's related to certain Win10 patches. 
    edited January 20

Hi @ Bill Durham,

Or create a Brand New Windows User Administrator Account. It is a shortcut to save the lost of Programs that can't be reinstalled, do to the fact that it can't be reactivated, because the Activation servers for a particular program, were turned off.

However, it may be the Quicken Data File, is too corrupt to load, causing the crashes.

Try a Brand New Quicken Data File. And see if it crashes.

This discussion has been closed.