Why do I have to pay a renewal fee for software I bought and paid for many years ago?

edited January 27 in Before you Buy

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    Hello Roger,

The new 2018/2019 version has moved to a subscription.

If you have purchased a version prior to that, the subscription is not to maintain an older version.

I would take a look at the letter from our CEO Eric Dunn https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/from-eric-dunn-ceo-of-quicken-letter-to-the-quic....

This gives some good insight as to why things have changed.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    You purchased a license to use Quicken, you did not buy the software. 

You can't afford it, if you had bought it, you would have the source code, you could hire someone to make any changes you wanted and sell or give away copies of it to other people, none of those are true, as stated earlier, you purchased a license to use.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited January 19

Hello Roger,

If you have purchased a version prior to that, the subscription is not to maintain an older version.

I would take a look at the letter from our CEO Eric Dunn https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/from-eric-dunn-ceo-of-quicken-letter-to-the-quic....

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Hello Tyka,
    According to the info in the Eric Dunn letter, I should be able to access Quicken on my home computer without paying for the subscription update. I enter all my info manually and don't use any of the download functions or updates to your software.  My records indicate I purchased Quicken home and business 2009 software as far back as 12/8/2008 from Amazon AND again Quicken Home & Business 2010 from Intuit online in 2010 and 2014. To avoid termination of of useful effectiveness of my software I paid again (Intuit Online) for your starter version on 1/15/2018. 
    I now (1/19/2019) find my use of your software with manual entry BLOCKED until I renew. 
    How can I get  this issue resolved without paying again?
  • edited January 19
    splasher said:

You can't afford it, if you had bought it, you would have the source code, you could hire someone to make any changes you wanted and sell or give away copies of it to other people, none of those are true, as stated earlier, you purchased a license to use.

According to the info in the Eric Dunn letter, I should be able to access Quicken on my home computer without paying for the subscription update.
  • Quicken HaroldQuicken Harold Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19

Hello Roger,

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Hello Roger. Appreciate your question.

When you ordered Quicken Starter and the subscription expired, it disabled any ability to update your current transactions. It made the data read-only.

In order to be able to edit your data, you will need to pay for another year of Quicken.

The only way to get around this and gain the ability to update your data using our Quicken Data Access Guarantee is to update to the Deluxe version.

Hope this information is helpful, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Respectfully,
    ~ Quicken Harold.
    Quicken Harold
    Community Moderator
  • edited January 19

Hello Roger,

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Hello Harold and thanks for the reply. 

Since I have paid for the upgrade versions of Quicken in years past and ONLY subscribed to the STARTER VERSION to prevent losing my ability to manually enter data, there should be an exception made to resolve this "READ ONLY" function. I am retired and live on S.S. income and cannot afford to pay annually OR pay AGAIN for an upgrade version.
    PLEASE HELP!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    Roger, if you were still using Quicken Home & Business 2014, you could still be using it today, and into the future. you would not have access to online services, such as downloading transactions from your financial institutions, but it would still work.

But you say that you purchased Quicken Starter Edition in 2018. Starter Edition limits many of the features you used to have in the Home & Business edition, such as tracking investments, but if you didn't need those features and Starter Edition had all the features you wanted, then you were able to save money by purchasing the lower-level product. One of the limitations with Quicken Starter Edition, however, is that if your subscription expires, it goes into a "read only" mode. That is, you should still be able to see all your existing data, open reports, etc. -- but you can't add new transactions. Unfortunately, Quicken doesn't mention this very prominently in their marketing materials.

It sounds like you want to be able to continue to use Quicken to manually enter transactions. In that case Quicken Deluxe would be what you need. After the one year subscription expires, you will be able to continue to enter transactions manually. (Quicken will insert a rather large box on the right side of your Quicken window with notices to try to induce you to renew your subscription, which is an awful and annoying practice, but if you can live with it, then you can go about using Quicken as you have in the past.)

To recap: your Quicken Starter Edition lets you view your data, but not add more data, if your subscription has expired; Quicken Deluxe (and above) does not have this limitation. It sound like you will need to pay for another one-year subscription to get Quicken Deluxe 2019, and then when your subscription expires in a year, you can carry on without a subscription (with the penalty of that annoying box on the right side of your screen).

If you are saying that you cannot open Quicken and view your existing data, then we need to dig deeper into that. But if you can view your data, well, that's the "data access guarantee" that you're referring to in Eric Dunn's letter. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • edited January 19
    That is, you should still be able to see all your existing data, open reports, etc. -- but you can't add new transactions. {Unfortunately, Quicken doesn't mention this very prominently in their marketing materials.}

Clearly Deceptive marketing on the part of Quicken! I don't like the idea of doing business with that type of company. Since there seems to be no effort by Quicken to do the honorable thing, I will look into other options!
    edited January 19

That is, you should still be able to see all your existing data, open reports, etc. -- but you can't add new transactions. {Unfortunately, Quicken doesn't mention this very prominently in their marketing materials.}

Clearly Deceptive marketing on the part of Quicken! I don't like the idea of doing business with that type of company. Since there seems to be no effort by Quicken to do the honorable thing, I will look into other options!

I agree that they tuck this away so that it isn't very apparent, which is deceptive. I think it was more prominently displayed last year, but now it's pretty hidden to someone considering a purchase of Starter Edition. It is mentioned on this page about the Data Access Guarantee but even there, you have to read it carefully to the end to notice the carve-out for Starter Edition.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Since you already own H&B and want to maintain manually, why don't you reinstall whichever version you can re-download (if you no longer have the installer)?  Then request a refund from Quicken Inc for Starter.  If you simply want to maintain manually, there is no reason to upgrade to newer version.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    edited January 19
    GeoffG said:

Since you already own H&B and want to maintain manually, why don't you reinstall whichever version you can re-download (if you no longer have the installer)?  Then request a refund from Quicken Inc for Starter.  If you simply want to maintain manually, there is no reason to upgrade to newer version.

He purchased Starter in January 2018. There's no way to get a refund for that a year later.

(I'm a Mac user, so I'm not sure about this, but I'm not sure if Quicken 2014 (his previous Home & Business version) can open a Quicken 2018 data file. I know it can't on the Mac versions; I think there has been a file format change on Windows since 2014 as well, but I'll leave that to the Windows experts.)
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    splasher said:

Unfortunately, that only applies to the Deluxe or "higher" editions. Starter is excluded.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 19
    GeoffG said:

QWin 2016 and 2017 yes, but older than that, I also do not believe it is possible.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited January 19
    splasher said:

That's incorrect. Everyone should be able to access their data without paying for a subscription update, including Starter Edition users. But Starter Edition users cannot continue to add new transactions manually, as can users of higher editions.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19
    GeoffG said:

Ah yes, it's a year ago, not a week ago.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
    edited January 19
    splasher said:

Sorry, I agree...I meant my comment to apply to updating... I misread the previous comment.

edited January 19
    splasher said:

Well, and I apparently have to amend my comment as well. I have heard back from a Quicken moderator that Quicken Starter Edition apparently *does* lock people out of seeing their data if their subscription has expired. This is 180 degrees opposite of everything I believe Quicken has said on this subject previously, and if this is by design, then I find it despicable and deceptive.