Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Starting balance this month does not match ending balance last month

I reconciled my credit card statements through last month. All good. This month I went in to reconcile the next statement and the starting balance doesn't match last month's ending balance. I enter everything manually, btw. I have no idea what is going on. Something changed and I have no idea what. Help! I'd like to avoid re-reconciling the entire year.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    The Starting Balance is the sum of all the reconciled transactions ("R") in the account, so something changed with the Reconciled "R" transactions.  Either an R was changed to C or blank, a C or a blank was changed to an R, a R transaction was added or deleted, or the amount of a R transaction was changed.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Naila
    Naila Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks! Is there a way to quickly pull up last month’s transactions so I can compare to my statement? And then do the same going backwards?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Naila said:

Thanks! Is there a way to quickly pull up last month’s transactions so I can compare to my statement? And then do the same going backwards?

To be able to do the reconcile again, you would need to change the "R" to a blank or C for a bunch of the transactions.  There is no easy way.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Naila
    Naila Member
    edited January 2019
    Naila said:

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Naila said:

No, there is no easy way in QMac.

BUT before you try that, sort your transactions in the register by the CLR field and see if any old transactions have had their reconciled status changed. If so, you can easily change it back by Option-Clicking and cycling through the 3 statuses of Blank, Cleared and Reconciled.

Otherwise, it will be brute force to track down the discrepancy.

Meanwhile, there is a feature in QM2007 (that has yet to be added back into "modern" QMac) that would allow you to re-reconcile any period and actually very easily track down the discrepancy. You can add your VOTE to Track/store Prior Reconciled Statements/periods.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Reconciliation Process. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
This discussion has been closed.