Quicken for Mac 2018/2019 doesn't memorize transaction categories

Mark O'BryanMark O'Bryan Member
edited May 11 in Known Product Issues
I have used Quicken for Mac for over 10 years.  Whenever i downloaded credit card transactions, it always used the category from the last time i categorized that vendor.  Now it comes up blank every time.  I have to re-type every time.  Ridiculous.  Why did i upgrade to 2019 and then lose functionality?

Comments

• CHRISTINE M ALLENCHRISTINE M ALLEN Member
    edited January 23
    I had it for Windows on a desktop, switched to my Mac with QB 2019 and it has been a nightmare...doing the things you are saying Mark, making tons more work for me.  I would be interested in "the answer."  Thanks.
  • NajmiNajmi Member
    edited January 24
    I've had the same problem since an update approx mid last year. Quicken stopped memorizing and auto-populating categories for repeat transactions. All transactions downloaded are "Uncategorized". 

I think I may have found a clue. Under Quicken Preferences/Connected Services is this field:

I have always left the "improve quality of downloaded payee" unchecked, because it really did not do a very good job in changing the payee name - I preferred the downloaded info. However, at some point, leaving this unchecked also caused Quicken to not attempt to remember and pre-fill categories. I tested this by checking this field and it did fill in approx 25% of the downloaded transactions. 

Would it be possible to confirm this? Thanks!

• edited January 24
    Najmi said:

I've had the same problem since an update approx mid last year. Quicken stopped memorizing and auto-populating categories for repeat transactions. All transactions downloaded are "Uncategorized". 

I think I may have found a clue. Under Quicken Preferences/Connected Services is this field:

I have always left the "improve quality of downloaded payee" unchecked, because it really did not do a very good job in changing the payee name - I preferred the downloaded info. However, at some point, leaving this unchecked also caused Quicken to not attempt to remember and pre-fill categories. I tested this by checking this field and it did fill in approx 25% of the downloaded transactions. 

I do not want Quicken to fill in categories for me because mine are never the same from month to month. I can understand that if you have a charge that is the same each month you would want that to happen.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Najmi said:

You can add your VOTE to Add Option to Turn Off Auto-Categorization of Downloaded Transactions.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

While you are at it, you may want to add your VOTE to related IDEAS found on the 
    List of Requests for Downloading Data into Quicken. Click on the underlined link, then follow the instructions to add your vote to more related ideas. Your VOTES matter!

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • TerryTerry Member
    edited April 16
    Same problem.  [rant redacted] No category's since I subscribed.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16

Same problem.  [rant redacted] No category's since I subscribed.

Terry, to me, it seems pretty clear from the user reports here and in other threads that there's a bug they haven't fixed yet. And I understand that's annoying. But they're not trying to diminish features. 
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited April 16

Same problem.  [rant redacted]  No category's since I subscribed.

Terry, of course there is diminished functionality when something isn’t working as it used to. I was only calling it what it is: a bug. Your previous comment tied this to subscriptions, as if this was an intentional change. I was trying to say that a bug is “just” a bug: something that’s inconvenient and unfortunate and inadvertent, irrespective of the change to subscriptions, that will hopefully get fixed in time (and hopefully sooner than later).

One suggestion to you and others who are experiencing this problem: use the Report a Problem function on the Quicken Help menu to send a short note to Quicken about this issue. I’d hope they’re already aware of it, but the more people who report it, the more likely it is to get their attention and bring about a fix.
  • terrilackeyterrilackey Member ✭✭
    And it's driving me mad. I put my salary in twice a month, and I have to set the category every time. Can anybody help. That just one example; there are many.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set up and use a Scheduled Reminder Transaction for recording your paycheck with gross income and deduction details.
    When you get the paystub, especially if your paycheck varies from one pay period to the next, record this reminder into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank containing the deposit transaction. This allows Quicken to match the downloaded transaction to the properly categorized register transaction. No more problems.

Are you new to Quicken Mac (2015 and newer)?

Welcome.

Getting Started with Quicken for Mac
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips with links to more information and videos

If you haven't done so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos

Click Help / Quicken Help for additional help on Quicken functions and features.

• MagpieMagpie Member ✭✭
    I have the same/similar issue with several recurring bills for my checking account.  Even with identical billing information, Quicken sets them to "Uncategorized" despite selected categories for corresponding previous transactions.  Moreover, QUICKEN REMEMBERS the previous selections, which show under the drop down list with "Recently Used Categories".   
    It's been this way for a couple years.  Please fix.
  • terrilackeyterrilackey Member ✭✭
    UKR said:
    Set up and use a Scheduled Reminder Transaction for recording your paycheck with gross income and deduction details.
    When you get the paystub, especially if your paycheck varies from one pay period to the next, record this reminder into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank containing the deposit transaction. This allows Quicken to match the downloaded transaction to the properly categorized register transaction. No more problems.

Are you new to Quicken Mac (2015 and newer)?

Welcome.

Getting Started with Quicken for Mac
    https://www.quicken.com/complete-guide-getting-started-quicken-2018-mac https://www.quicken.com/quicken-tips with links to more information and videos

If you haven't done so already, please review these videos for more information about Quicken Mac
    https://www.youtube.com/user/QuickenMac/videos

Click Help / Quicken Help for additional help on Quicken functions and features.

Thanks for the advice, but it's happening on much more than my paycheck. And it's new. It worked before.

• WayneMacDonaldWayneMacDonald Member
    Hello,

In the past few months uncategorized started appearing on downloaded transactions; again. This was much better for a long time but now it appears almost daily. How can I force it to remember certain payees are always set to certain categories.

Mac version 5.11.0.

Thanks

• When I download my transactions some of the common transactions I have with show with the category as "Uncategorized" or some other category I don't prefer.  For example Costco Gas always shows as "Uncategorized" and I have to go in each time to change the category.  How can I have it automatically assign "Gasoline" as the category.  Just switched from Windows to Mac, this was possible in Windows but I'm not finding it in Mac.
    It used to work pretty well, but the developers broke something in one of the updates this winter in doing some under-the-hood work to pave the way for more user control over categorization. The product manager has said we'll see changes soon... but we don't know exactly when that will be.
  • Same here... no longer categorizing downloaded transactions.  I've been using quicken since 1994 - and its only in the last several months.
    Also, just today, I synced and lost several categories (they were changed on reconciled transactions to now be "Uncategorized" !!
  • noloadnoload Member ✭✭
    Me too, very frustrating and time consuming. Recently upgraded from Quicken Mac 2007 to 2019. Despite my apprehension the conversion went quite well. Most all of the transactions remained intact and retained the custom categories I had created. The transactions I have downloaded for the last 3 statements have come in as UNcategorized. Thinking Quicken just needed a little retraining I manually categorized hundreds of new transactions. It seems Quicken is not retaining and auto assigning categories to payees like it used to. How can i get this working again?
    edited July 12
    @noload As I wrote just above your post: It used to work pretty well, but the developers broke something in one of the updates this winter in doing some under-the-hood work to pave the way for more user control over categorization. The product manager has said we'll see changes soon... but we don't know exactly when that will be.

Quicken will definitely not "learn" categorization from your corrections to previously-downloaded transactions. If you want to try the way Quicken Mac was originally designed to "learn" categorization, you must create a manual transaction with the same Payee, date and amount as as one you download. Drag one transaction over the other and Quicken will merge them into one -- and in the process should create an internal rule to categorize future transactions from the same Payee the same way. This process definitely did work originally, but users have reported mixed success recently. It's a bit time-consuming to set up, but when it works, it's a long-term time-saver. Since this process didn't give users any way to edit the rules, the developers went back to the drawing board to create a way of memorizing transactions, and that's supposedly what's coming sometime in the future.
  • CUITCNYCUITCNY Member ✭✭
    I am trying to clean-up my Quicken for MAC file--I have over 100 accounts--and find an exorbitant amount of "uncategorized" transactions from banking and credit card downloads. Dows Quicken for MAC have any type of memory for prior assignments of categories? I read somewhere that there are things called memorized transactions but I cannot find it in Quicken for MAC. Please advise. Thank you.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Hello CUITCNY,

I have moved your post to the ongoing thread regarding memorized transactions for the Mac.

Currently, the Mac version doesn't offer memorized transactions, there is something in the works for this however there currently is not an ETA.

There are some Idea threads that can be voted on:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7359127/for-qmac-display-list-of-past-memorized-transactions-for-payee-like-qwin-51-legacy-votes

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7324636/add-option-to-have-local-rules-for-renaming-payees-in-quicken-for-mac-163-legacy-votes/p1

This is a very popular topic on the Community, more information can be found by searching on the main page.

https://community.quicken.com/

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka