bmo harris bank download Issue

BMO bank recently did a major update and now I'm getting the following error message when trying to update my banking transactions...Unable to update these accounts because of an error on the Quicken server.

Comments

• Joe PetryJoe Petry Member
    edited January 27
    For those who bank with BMO Harris, you'll need to deactivate your Quicken account from downloads (Windows or Mac).

In Windows, you'll also need to delete the Financial Institution name and account number from your BMO account details in Quicken.  

Then reconnect, but make sure you use BMO Harris Bank (DO NOT USE BMO HARRIS BANK N.A. - RETAIL, SB).  Make sure you LINK (DO NOT ADD) the account.  

Some duplicate transactions will be downloaded the first time, so some cleanup will be necessary.
  • DannoDanno Member
    edited January 27

Thanks sooo much...your fix worked perfect.
  • Ronald BadtkeRonald Badtke Member
    edited January 22

Thanks a lot
  • Laura ResnickLaura Resnick Member
    edited January 28
    Fix worked, but 2 accounts have not yet been recognized - Did get an notification that this should fix in a couple of days, but on day 3 now and still not gathering 2 of my BMO accounts.  Any thoughts?
    edited January 25

Fix worked, but 2 accounts have not yet been recognized - Did get an notification that this should fix in a couple of days, but on day 3 now and still not gathering 2 of my BMO accounts.  Any thoughts?

Mac or Windows?

Did you try deactivating ALL the BMO Harris accounts first...making sure if it's Windows that you remove the Financial Institution name and account number from the Account Details window.

Then, re-activate the account for downloads.  Quicken should then connect with BMO Harris (do NOT use BMO Harris Bank NA Retail SB) and you should see your accounts.  Then LINK the accounts to your current accounts in Quicken.

The key is that you have to de-activate ALL BMO Harris accounts FIRST, then re-activate for downloads. 
    edited January 24

There were some hidden accounts that are no longer open at BMO that were not deactivated. I did that this morning and tried again. No luck.  Are you possibly suggesting that now that I found those hidden,  deactivated, that I do it from the beginning again?   ie:  deactivate the accounts that did work and then try to activate all of them again?  Yes - BMO Harris not BMO Harris NA
    edited January 25

Yes, you'll need to deactivate ALL previous BMO Harris accounts...hidden, closed or active.

THEN, try reactivating and linking ONLY the BMO Harris accounts that are active.  If Quicken finds the hidden accounts too, just use IGNORE for those accounts and LINK for the active accounts.

See if that works for you.  No guarantees.  

In the future, however, if you make an account Hidden, deactivate that account from downloads prior to marking it such. 
    edited January 24

I'll try .  thanks
    edited January 26

I still can't get my quicken to see my checking in BMO. It sees other accounts but not all of them, so I have set up none of them. any thoughts? is this a quicken issue or a bmo, do you think?
  • Joe BakerJoe Baker Member
    edited January 26

I deactivated all my BMO accounts, went through re-activation process, and my main checking account was listed as "unknown account type" and it wouldn't let me link it. I tried several times after that, and now it doesn't even list it as one of the accounts to link.
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26

I was able to re-establish accounts from BMO Harris following the instructions. Unknown account type may indicate file corruption, try a file validation with all BMO accounts deactivated. Otherwise you may need to work with Quicken support. I switched from web connect to EWC because the new platform requires a download from each account rather than all accounts. I did get a bunch of duplicates that mostly matched and it looks like pending transactions are downloading in EWC.
    https://www.bmoharris.com/main/personal/banking/digitalbankinghelp/

If the conversion instructions and/or file validation do not work, you could try setting up for web connect via the instructions and then converting to EWC.
    edited January 26

I have been using EWC for a while - I tried validating / repairing with all BMO accounts deactivated - it says there are no issues. I even tried setting up using Advanced Settings to make sure it's using EWC. Setting up using web connect requires creating another account in Quicken - not sure I want to do that. Thanks for all the tips. I'll contact Quicken Support.
    edited January 27

The workaround if it comes to that is let Quicken create the new account. Then move all the transactions in bulk from the old account to the new account. Manage the duplicates and then delete the old account.
  • Henny KeubenHenny Keuben Member
    edited January 27
    Danno said:

Thanks sooo much...your fix worked perfect.

Where/what is the fix? I don't see it on this page.
    edited January 28

EWC?
    edited January 28

Express Web Connect (EWC) download method.
    edited January 28

thanks for that.  Nothing has worked for me with ONE bmo account. I am losing my mind. I'll have to download it daily. (and how stupid is it that accounts have to be downloaded one at a time now?)
    edited January 28

Does the account that won't download happen to be a loan or credit card?  Edit- I see you said it was a checking account.

Yeah, web connect is too much trouble now with multiple accounts which is why I switched to EWC. I'm seeing pending transactions download so there are still a few bugs to work out. Online balance downloaded is based on pending transactions rather than posted so people trying to reconcile will also be complaining shortly.

Adding- one way to check if the issue is a problem with your file or with BMO; create a new data file and set up BMO to see if all accounts are offered. You can delete the file after the test.
    edited January 28

no, unfortunately it is my MAIN checking account.  
  • Fred MertzFred Mertz Member
    edited January 28

Confirmed that pending transactions are now downloading into my BMO Harris register using EWC.  

Not good. 
  • Fred MertzFred Mertz Member
    edited January 28

Confirmed that pending transactions are now downloading into my BMO Harris register using EWC.  

Not good. 
    edited January 28

I still cannot get Quicken 2016 Deluxe to recognize my checking account with BMO. I actually created a brand new Quicken file and reconnected, and was able to successfully reconnect - but that is not ideal because I have been using Quicken for years, and I don't want to set everything up again, nor do I have the time to use the Quicken Transfer process - it's quite messy.

I actually contacted Quicken Support - and they were very rude about the situation - they couldn't seem to understand the problem - I tried explaining it at least 5 times - they ultimately told me I was clueless, that my file was corrupt and just to start over. That left me VERY disappointed and frustrated.

Quicken - you can do better.
    edited January 28

yikes.  sorry about that.  I have had some trouble with quicken as well.  hard to believe that they have not heard about quicken/BMO problems and acted clueless
    edited January 28

I don't have a problem adding this as a new account... so what I am doing is going to tools/add account/choosing checking/then putting in bmo harris bank and the program launches me to put in my sign in and password and then it starts searching accounts at bmo.  this checking account doesn't show up. so it looks like i can't add it as a new acount either.
    edited January 28

I tried that within the current Quicken file - it only found my checking account if I created a brand spankin' new quicken file and started completely over.
    edited January 28

and I also upgraded to latest version of Quicken to see if that helped - it didn't. So at this point, I've started completely over with a brand new quicken file. What a pain!
This discussion has been closed.