An Update from Eric Dunn

Quicken KathrynQuicken Kathryn Administrator ✭✭✭✭
edited January 28 in Announcements
I’m Eric Dunn, the CEO of Quicken Inc. I wanted to reach out to wish you a Happy New Year and thank you for your ongoing support of Quicken. For those of you who have experienced our latest 2019 release, I hope you are seeing the benefits of the work we did during 2018 to improve the performance and reliability of Quicken, as well as the new tools we’ve provided to allow you more flexible anytime/anywhere access to your Quicken data.  

Just over a year ago we replaced our previous Intuit-operated authentication system with the new Quicken ID. We know that initially there were some annoyances, such as unnecessary requests to sign in again or to provide a sign-in code. Within a few months, however, we were able to streamline Quicken ID and I am now pleased to report that it is working extremely well – one measure is the number of customers who need to contact Customer Care for assistance, which is now 50% lower than with the previous generation service. As a daily Quicken user, I’ve also seen the difference myself and I hope you have as well.  

We have also been working on the robustness, reliability and performance of Quicken. With Quicken for Windows, we addressed over 500 customer-reported issues during 2018, improving reliability and performance in a number of areas. With Quicken for Mac, in addition to addressing customer-reported issues, we have added more flexible reports, refined the management of online bills, improved the performance and flexibility of the portfolio view, and further improved security with a data file encryption option. Overall, our product surveys show a 25% improvement in the last year in how our users – you – rate Quicken.  

Last year was also a big year for addressing the many requests we’ve had for providing Quicken users with anywhere/anytime access. Starting in October of 2018, Quicken members on the 2019 versions of Quicken are able to access their essential data – bank, card and cash accounts – on the web, with a full-featured register; there’s also reporting, graphs, budgets, and access to positions-level investment information. In the coming months we will be enabling Reconcile on the Web and will also show your Reminder Transactions. It all syncs with desktop... and it’s also optional, so if you prefer to keep all of your Quicken data only on your own computer you may continue to do so.  

We have also been working hard on the mobile versions of Quicken. Last fall we introduced all-new versions of Quicken mobile for both iOS and Android. These apps have a new, cleaner user interface, improved desktop sync and bring back budget tracking. If you haven’t tried Quicken Mobile for a while, check out the new versions!  

Beyond the product itself, we have also continued to improve Customer Care for Quicken users. For those of you who needed to contact us in 2018, the chances are that you had only a short wait on the phone and spoke to an agent who was able to quickly solve your problem. Three years ago, we wouldn’t have been able to say that. Many of you have also taken advantage of our much-improved Care website (quicken.com/support) and are starting to use the new Quicken Video University.  

Overall, we are confident that Quicken today is the best Quicken ever. And we are working hard in 2019 to make it even better. Thank you very much for being a customer.  

Quicken Kathryn
Community Administrator

Comments

• edited January 24
    Hello Eric,

I have a 2007 Mac version of Quicken.  I use it solely for record keeping on my computer.  I do not do online stuff with Quicken.  I would guess I am way over due for an upgrade and would like to know the best way to upgrade and what to do.  I have a mac desk top computer.  Thank you Blaine Bolton
  • CC MedfordCC Medford Member
    edited January 28
    Your program is way to flawed to charge the amount you do. Make it less expensive or the program better to justify your pricing. I am using Quicken for years and with all the flaws it kills productivity. Upsetting to fix constantly all the problems.
  • bryanwaserbryanwaser Member
    edited January 26
    You know what I would like to see?  An end to a pop up to upgrade every single time I launch my software I paid for already.  You're treating it like it's shareware but I already paid.
  • DanDan Member
    edited January 24
    I will upgrade my Quicken for Mac 2017 when you all fix the issues around the inability to easily manually record, reconcile, and transfer investment tractions with respect to transfers from cash accounts to investment accounts. I have reached out to technical support many times on this matter and they say, yes, you can easily do this in the Windows version, but not in the Mac version. In the older versions of Quicken, as in 2006, this was an easy manual transaction, like transferring money from a cash account to pay a credit card account. Right now I have to create fake accounts to reconcile my investment balances. Why won't you fix this issue in the Mac version?
  • Michael ClarkMichael Clark Member
    edited January 26
    I don't do the online things and refuse to make monthly payments.  You should offer a CD with just the basics.  I don't want to be a hostage for payment in order to access my files....
  • FUCK QUICKENFUCK QUICKEN Member
    edited January 23
    Quicken still crashes pretty consistent on Windows. But my big concern is security. For years I told every version of Quicken NOT to sync my data with the web. Now I don't seem to have a choice. Worse yet, there's NO two-factor authentication? In this day and age.....? You put my most sensitive financial data on the web and give it a basic password? This seems completely foolish.
  • jkuricejkurice Member
    edited January 26
    For those of us who like simplicity, but like to plan (budget) our expenses, why cannot there be a report that shows ONLY the amount budgeted (with options for monthly, quarterly, annually). Right now, the only was to see what I have budgeted for the year is to do a budget report that shows the distracting "Actual" and "Difference." I've talked with tech support many times over the years and all they want me to do is to export to Excel and delete columns there. why not in Quicken??
  • PDAPDA Member
    edited January 26
    Every time I upgrade, my first reconcile is completely off.  This time it insists it's a starting negative when it's actually a positive.  God I hate it when you upgrade!!  Happens every single time.  I balance to the penny every month until you upgrade and then it's incredibly wrong.
  • James ClintonJames Clinton Member
    edited January 25
    I use Quicken to accumulate my income and expenses, but my primary use is as a 'front end' to my bank's bill paying function.  I access the "on-Line" function several times per day.  I would be nice to have a direct access to the 'On-Line" function rather than going through "Tools" drop down access.
    Bill
  • edited January 23
    First, let me say that I am extremely happy with my latest Quicken version update 2018/2019.
    Many years ago, I also used Quicken in France. No longer available. May I suggest you look into this market, as there is absolutely no substitute for Quicken in France.
  • Reid NorthrupReid Northrup Member
    edited January 24
    I use to use a Windows computer and have moved over to the Mac version.  While the Mac version itself has gotten better, please keep working on getting it to work the same as Windows.  Overall, I like the product although I don't use all of its features.

• edited January 24
    So why is it that when I purchased my year access from a 3rd party instead of through the software... I know have all the downloaded transactions coming through with the names listed wrong. I have to click revert to downloaded name on ALL of them to start to correct it and spend 20 minutes determining what is what. 

Your product isn't better just because people don't call. Many of us are fairly savvy with programs and can figure out the issues on our own without assistance. And when it comes to software issues that I cannot fix I don't have time to call Quicken to talk to a tech about it. Last time I talked to a tech their solution only fixed the problem with the mobil app until the very next log in... so about 1 hour. Waste of my time... and my time is worth about $35 an hour. I only use quicken because it helps me double check my financial records and customize my projected balance outlook which I can do on my bank website. However, there are still some flaws on the bank website with balance projections and I prefer to be able to view it in a checkbook style setup. If your program is going to cause me to have to weed through transactions for 20 minutes every time I download them from the bank then it wont be needed much longer.
  • Thomas SchuckThomas Schuck Member
    edited January 23
    I purchased the 2018 update, but it would not install. I have had numerous problems with Quicken losing connection credentials, refusing to connect to some services for days, double posting entries, and non missing entries. The creation of “temp” accounts in the posting process complicates everything.

In the end, Quicken has gone from the most valuable tool in America to the most untrustworthy financial action a person can do,

I switched to a free alternative that works flawlessly.

Tom S. Windsor CT
  • RAB65RAB65 Member
    edited January 23
    You should give long term users a 50% off discount from the 1-year price and let that be good got 3 years

• Thomas SchuckThomas Schuck Member
    edited January 26

So why is it that when I purchased my year access from a 3rd party instead of through the software... I know have all the downloaded transactions coming through with the names listed wrong. I have to click revert to downloaded name on ALL of them to start to correct it and spend 20 minutes determining what is what. 

Your product isn't better just because people don't call. Many of us are fairly savvy with programs and can figure out the issues on our own without assistance. And when it comes to software issues that I cannot fix I don't have time to call Quicken to talk to a tech about it. Last time I talked to a tech their solution only fixed the problem with the mobil app until the very next log in... so about 1 hour. Waste of my time... and my time is worth about $35 an hour. I only use quicken because it helps me double check my financial records and customize my projected balance outlook which I can do on my bank website. However, there are still some flaws on the bank website with balance projections and I prefer to be able to view it in a checkbook style setup. If your program is going to cause me to have to weed through transactions for 20 minutes every time I download them from the bank then it wont be needed much longer.

There Are alternatives. I got frustrated to the point of doing of an in depth internet search on “alternatives to Quicken”.

Some excellent ones are free. Professional courtesy to this site prevents me from naming them.
  • abarlevabarlev Member
    edited January 23
    1. Open up to the world, start by allowing to download the phone apps outside the US

2. Support UTF-8

You have much to gain for relatively little effort.

The way the product is currently designed you are pushing away international users with both hands. Think about that.
  • Joe PodiJoe Podi Member
    edited January 27
    Please go back to letting me buy the software and then decide if you make enough improvements to upgrade. I do not agree with your yearly subscription pricing.
  • Brian MurphyBrian Murphy Member
    edited January 24
    Dan said:

I will upgrade my Quicken for Mac 2017 when you all fix the issues around the inability to easily manually record, reconcile, and transfer investment tractions with respect to transfers from cash accounts to investment accounts. I have reached out to technical support many times on this matter and they say, yes, you can easily do this in the Windows version, but not in the Mac version. In the older versions of Quicken, as in 2006, this was an easy manual transaction, like transferring money from a cash account to pay a credit card account. Right now I have to create fake accounts to reconcile my investment balances. Why won't you fix this issue in the Mac version?

I have Quicken 2019 running on Windows 10 and I also have issues with manually recording investment transactions.  When I enter the first transaction, it takes the cash from the cash account, and then a subsequent transaction takes the cash from the investment account itself without being able to manually select the location of cash.  This problem started after one of the incessant updates.  I also reached out to technical support and was told the problem is my file was because I have transactions dating back 15 years.  The snotty tech support person told me I needed to start all over again with a blank slate and not keep the older transactions.  He then told me "You have been so warned."  This issue needs to be fixed in Windows!  
  • StephanieStephanie Member
    edited January 23

I purchased the 2018 update, but it would not install. I have had numerous problems with Quicken losing connection credentials, refusing to connect to some services for days, double posting entries, and non missing entries. The creation of “temp” accounts in the posting process complicates everything.

In the end, Quicken has gone from the most valuable tool in America to the most untrustworthy financial action a person can do,

Tom S. Windsor CT

What is the name of the alternative program...I wish Microsoft didn't stop supporting Money.  Quicken give me a headache combine that now with them changing up the layout and subjecting up to a subscription is a joke.  As far, Customer Care stats improving that's a joke.  How about people just not calling because of the Yada, yada and no help.  He can talk about the Mobile App tried it once didn't work never tried again.  MS Money's app was way superior just Microsoft stopped supporting app.  Would love to find a better alternative that I could use without losing year's of data (that happened when I tried to import my Money data to Quicken [joke about Quicken being user friendly])  
  • edited January 23

Tom S. Windsor CT

Ms money was discontinued due to changes in online banking (they said they didn’t think the program would be needed any longer with the upgrades banks made to the online features). MS Money was also one of my all time FAVES!

Quicken is retarded but I have invested too many years into it to learn some of these cheesy apps like mint
  • Chris BaumChris Baum Member
    edited January 24
    Interesting that your letter leads with the supposed "fix" to Quicken ID.  Just this morning when I tried to use the product, I was confronted with yet another instance of the login  screen popping up with the program already running.  For no apparent reason, I had to log in, which then failed (the screen simply said "success" with nothing else - no continue button, no next button, nothing.  I cancelled out of that and had to log in again, this time with success.  No apparent reason.  I would also echo many of the comments above.  I have used quicken since the Windows 3.1 version on 3 1/2 floppy disk, and it used to be great.  Since the split from Intuit, it has gotten progressively worse and now I'm apparently REQUIRED to repurchase the product every year to ensure it works at all.  Sounds a lot like extortion.  Beyond that, the product is extremely buggy.  Lines in the ledger duplicate on the display, "new data" flags stay when transactions are accepted, reports don't find transactions that are clearly in the accounts, gray highlight bars on lists of transactions don't work right, and most of all for me, the way you handle monthly draws from an IRA is just abysmal.  I spend 30 minutes every time I download IRA transactions manually updating downloaded transactions simply because you can't accommodate the way an IRA withdrawal  is normally made - a fixed amount (thus variable shares), state and local taxes both applied.  This isn't an issue of handling investments that you can tell me I need to upgrade versions for (I'm using Premier), it's just performing the same transaction month after month, except Quicken can't do it.  The product is constantly annoying and disappointing.  Customer service, if you're willing to wait for it, is superficial at best and offers no real help other than to ask to take control of my screen and make me prove what I'm telling them the problems are. I gave up on trying to fix the IRA problem above a couple of years ago.   
  • edited January 25
    I used Quicken for Windows for years and was always happy with the program. However, the last computer I bought was a Mac and Quicken features for Mac and Windows are not the same. One specific feature that I really rely on is Savings Goals. When will you incorporate that feature into Quicken for Mac? While I do use use savings goals for saving for a few “fluff” items like a new chair or sofa, its real workhorse use is for accumulating cash for monthly bills or bills paid annually, such as car insurance or property tax. That way I’m never surprised. I put money away monthly in a savings goal so that when an annual bill comes along the cash is saved and ready to unload. I’ve created an archaic workaround but I have found that reconciling accounts is paramount to a migraine level headache. Please, once again, will you PLEASE include savings goals to Quicken for Mac??? Windows users, I am so totally jealous. This feature is so important to me that I may have to jettison my Mac. Debbie F
  • edited January 23

I will look again into it. Every time I tried alternatives I didn’t care for them and with how much I have quicken tracking it makes it a three day affair to set up in a new program. I do have one other resource but their stuff also doesnt play nice with USAA users so I still have similar frustrations that I have with quicken... ugh
  • JohnJohn Member
    edited January 23

Tom, Thanks for the idea.  I only need a basic version and don't want automatic updates because after an update there are usually problems. 
  • Brian BarrickBrian Barrick Member
    edited January 23

Your program is way to flawed to charge the amount you do. Make it less expensive or the program better to justify your pricing. I am using Quicken for years and with all the flaws it kills productivity. Upsetting to fix constantly all the problems.

I don't work for Quicken but as a software developer I have to disagree, it's not cheap to develop and support software. That's the reason a lot of software companies have gone to subscriptions or microtransactions. You can't just build something and release it, then support it and build upon it till the next version is released anymore.
  • JRHJRH Member
    edited January 23
    Hi!  The one feature I would really like to see would to be able to store my data files on the web, and then use Quicken Mobile to enter transactions directly.  This is tied to my not being able to store my data files on a network share reliably and access them from any computer I happen to have handy at the time.  BTW, I enter all transactions manually, and will continue to do so.  The automatic downloads are more trouble than they are worth to me.  I really do appreciate the product as the best one out there for PC-based home finances.  Just let me work with my data somewhere besides a specific PC.  Thanks!
  • Brian BarrickBrian Barrick Member
    edited January 26
    One thing I would like to see is a complete overhaul to the budgeting tool. 
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Joe Podi said:

Please go back to letting me buy the software and then decide if you make enough improvements to upgrade. I do not agree with your yearly subscription pricing.

You still can. Simply buy a subscription, then turn off the auto-renew. Continue to use as usual, even after expiration (except Starter edition, which makes your data read-only after it expires). Of course, you do not get online functionality including downloading QFX data. 

One caveat to all this is that if you do let your subscription expire, Quicken will now hijack about 25% of your screen real-estate for advertising. Quicken has determined that this is the price to pay if you let your subscription expire!
    If you dislike this business decision, you can add your VOTE to 
    Quicken Inc should eliminate or at least minimize the LARGE Advertising space used when a subscription expires

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count. 

Your VOTES matter!

You may also want to contact Quicken Support to express your concerns at 
    https://www.quicken.com/contact-support

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Grady RandallGrady Randall Member
    edited January 23
    I have been using Quicken for many years. I keep thinking that the problem I have experienced for these many years would get FIXED in the NEW Quicken or at least in an update, but it hasn't. The problem is that during the downloading of transactions from my bank everything is fine and automatic until the first time I have to manually accept a transaction. I have to continue to do manually accept them until I am thru. Why is this???
  • RyanRyan Member
    edited January 23
    When can MAC get payee naming rules with categorization?

About 90% of my transactions are with the same payee's.  I have to spend time every morning renaming payee since the download name is usually not readable and almost all of them need the category selected.

80% to 90% of my labor in using Quicken for MAC could be eliminated with this one feature that I had when I using the windows version.