Trouble opening downladed file

I have been using Quicken Starter for several years.

Today, I was just updated to
Year:  2019,
Version:  R16.16,
Build:  27.1.16.16
Edition:  Canada

My first bank download since the update to R16.16 gave me the following error.

Quicken is having trouble opening C:\Users\Carl\Downloads\ofx#####.qfx file.
Try opening it from Quicken by choosing File -> Open -> Quicken File

When I try to open the file from Quicken using File -> Open -> Quicken File
Browsing to my Downloads directory, the file doesn't show because
Quicken is looking for *.QDF; *.QDB; *.QDT; or *.QDF-Backup.

When I browse to the file from Windows Explorer and Open, Right Click 'Open with Quicken'
I get the original error message.

Anyone else having same problem with the updated version?

Comments

• CalimeroCalimero Member
    edited January 23
    I haven't used Quicken Home and Business 2019 yet but with my older Canadian version (2016) i always download the bank transactions file unto my desktop and simply double click on it to open.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    With all versions of Quicken, you need to have a supported version. QW2016 is supported until Apr 30, 2019. Any subscription version is supported until your subscription membership expires. It appears that is the case with QW2019. You would have to renew to continue to use online functionality, which includes downloading QFX data files.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • edited January 23
    I believe that this is the second report that I've read where someone who is running Quicken (Windows) Canada 2019 is experiencing difficult with Web Connect immediately after installing the R16.16 patch. (@smayer97 - you commented on QW2016, but the OP indicated he/she is using QW2019 with current subscription - the latter being inferred from the ability to download the patch. Unclear how your comments apply here)

I am using the same version (and release level) as the OP and I haven't encountered any issues with downloading transactions, BUT I use Express Web Connect via OSU exclusively. I don't use Web Connect. Conversely the OP indicates he/she is using Web Connect.

It looks like we should be monitoring for a trend here --> QW2019 Canada R16.16 causing issues with Web Connect. The other post contained different details than this one, but it does sound like they could be describing the exact same issue.

R16.16 is in staged release, so this would only affect Canadian users of QW2019 who have received the staged release or run the Mondo patch (I used the Mondo) patch who also use Web Connect.

I'm putting my bug radar on here!
    edited January 23

I believe that this is the second report that I've read where someone who is running Quicken (Windows) Canada 2019 is experiencing difficult with Web Connect immediately after installing the R16.16 patch. (@smayer97 - you commented on QW2016, but the OP indicated he/she is using QW2019 with current subscription - the latter being inferred from the ability to download the patch. Unclear how your comments apply here)

I am using the same version (and release level) as the OP and I haven't encountered any issues with downloading transactions, BUT I use Express Web Connect via OSU exclusively. I don't use Web Connect. Conversely the OP indicates he/she is using Web Connect.

It looks like we should be monitoring for a trend here --> QW2019 Canada R16.16 causing issues with Web Connect. The other post contained different details than this one, but it does sound like they could be describing the exact same issue.

R16.16 is in staged release, so this would only affect Canadian users of QW2019 who have received the staged release or run the Mondo patch (I used the Mondo) patch who also use Web Connect.

Calimero just above).

As for the rest, I may have skimmed it too quickly (I have been replying to dozens and dozens of posts today...mea culpa. :-\

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• edited January 23

With all versions of Quicken, you need to have a supported version. QW2016 is supported until Apr 30, 2019. Any subscription version is supported until your subscription membership expires. It appears that is the case with QW2019. You would have to renew to continue to use online functionality, which includes downloading QFX data files.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

@smayer97 - As I understood his comment, Calimero was simply indicating that the OP's problem doesn't exist in Q2016; i.e. he was saying "no problem here - all is good in the QW2016 world".

As noted below, only two reports noted on this forum so far, but, because two reports of a never before described problem got posted within days/hours of installing R16.16, I'm activating my bug radar.
  • edited January 23

@smayer97 - As I understood his comment, Calimero was simply indicating that the OP's problem doesn't exist in Q2016; i.e. he was saying "no problem here - all is good in the QW2016 world".

As noted below, only two reports noted on this forum so far, but, because two reports of a never before described problem got posted within days/hours of installing R16.16, I'm activating my bug radar
  • ceschnurrceschnurr Member
    edited January 23
    I am the original poster.
    Arctic Hare, could you provide a reference to the post with other similar problem, so I could compare.

FYI, my subscription is valid until 21-May-2019.
    The new version was automatically downloaded, so I assume it was the staged release.

I tried to get One Step Update to work, but was unsuccessful, so I guess I use Web Connect, not Express. (I didn't try too hard, and its not related to this issue)

Any suggestions how to deal with this.
    Should I try downloading the Mondo patch?

Thanks,
    Carl
  • edited January 23
    ceschnurr said:

I am the original poster.
    Arctic Hare, could you provide a reference to the post with other similar problem, so I could compare.

FYI, my subscription is valid until 21-May-2019.
    The new version was automatically downloaded, so I assume it was the staged release.

I tried to get One Step Update to work, but was unsuccessful, so I guess I use Web Connect, not Express. (I didn't try too hard, and its not related to this issue)

Any suggestions how to deal with this.
    Should I try downloading the Mondo patch?

Thanks,
    Carl

@ceschnurr: I went back and found the other post. It isn't the same issue. The description is inconsistent with your situation and it actually refers to QW2018 (Canada) R4.4. My memory failed me here. Too many posts today.

There is no harm in downloading and applying the Mondo patch. It is worthwhile trying --> https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

From which Canadian financial institutions are you attempting to download? I might be able to comment on how well EWC works for the FIs involved.
    edited January 25
    I got the initial error when clicked 'Download Tranactions' button on the RBC bank site. 
    (This is the typical method I used prior to the R16.16 update).
    I repeated this a number of times and got the same error.

A couple hours later, on a whim, I used the Online Centre function in Quicken and the download completed correctly.

I did not download the mondo patch.

I have no further transactions to download, so I'm not sure if my initial error message can be replicated.

Next time I'll try to download from the RBC site again to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Thanks,
    Carl
  • G MillerG Miller Member
    edited January 23
    I am having the same problem ... TD Bank customer.  I get the error message when starting the import from the bank web-site.  Opening a file that I downloaded results in the software crashing.
  • CalimeroCalimero Member
    edited January 26
    In the past, if my antivirus was set to protected window, i had a hard time to download transactions manually. Don't know if this is relevant in this case.
  • edited January 24
    ceschnurr said:

I got the initial error when clicked 'Download Tranactions' button on the RBC bank site. 

A couple hours later, on a whim, I used the Online Centre function in Quicken and the download completed correctly.

I have no further transactions to download, so I'm not sure if my initial error message can be replicated.

Next time I'll try to download from the RBC site again to see if I can duplicate the problem.

Thanks,
    Carl

@ceschnurr: Express Web Connect works very well with RBC. I use it daily. It is more convenient than Web Connect. I suggest you try it.
  • Alan MacieAlan Macie Member
    edited January 25
    I am having the same problem with all my banks and two different Quicken files.
  • Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member
    edited January 26
    All - the error message wording is wrong.  You have to use File Import -> Web Connect (QFX), not FIle Open.  This manual workaround will load your downloaded data (which you will find in your Downloads directory).  Quicken has been made aware of the problem but no idea how long it will take to resolve.  In the meantime, if you want to keep using Web Connect you'll have to add this extra step to update your Quicken accounts. 
    edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

@Arctic Hare, can you guide me on how to set this up?  I tried following a procedure posted on Quicken site, deactivated my online connection but when I tried to set it up again for my existing Quicken account I was forced to use a new nickname and it created an all-new account.  The account is with Desjardins and an earlier thread indicated that they support Express Web Connect.  I'm stumped!
    edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

You'll get the same error if you just repeat the download again (I just tried it).  Normally Quicken would filter out any duplicate transactions but it will fail to open the downloaded file anyway.
  • edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

@Chris Sowerby: Yes, I can assist you with that. I'm not at my PC on which I run Quicken right now, so this might need to wait until I have access to that PC for reference.

In the meantime, try searching your C: drive for a file entitled FIDIR.TXT. When you find that file, open it in any text editor. Find the entry for Desjardin and copy and paste the Desjardin entry here. That line will tell us whether EWC is supported. Or, I can do this for you later today or tomorrow.
    edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

There are two entries - for some reason my bank accounts are linked to the English one and my credit cards to the French.  It might just be the way the accounts were originally set up, not sure.
    00011 00011 00011 Desjardins - English http://www.desjardins.com 1-877-253-7350 http://www.desjardins.com/ang/accesd ACTIVE BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA
    00012 00012 00012 Desjardins - français http://www.desjardins.com 1-877-253-7350 http://www.desjardins.com/fr/accesd ACTIVE BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

Tangerine is also listed
    10951 10951 10951 Tangerine http://www.tangerine.ca/en/index.html 1-800-464-3473 http://www.tangerine.ca/en/signmeup/index.html ACTIVE BANKING&WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

• edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

@Chris: Those entries you posted indicate that Express Web Connect is NOT supported for either of those financial institutions. Only Web Connect is supported. Efforts to connect to these FIs by EWC will fail.
  • edited January 25

Which banks?
    edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

Found another entry that I missed the first time, looks more promising
    62754 62754 62754 Desjardins http://www.desjardins.com/en 1-514-522-3362 http://www.desjardins.com/en ACTIVE BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

Yes, that one shows EWC...

edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

So, how do I set it up?  Per my previous comment, it doesn't seem to be a user-friendly process!
  • edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

@Chris Sowerby and @smayer97: Yes, the latest Dejardin entry that you posted includes EWC, but I just pulled up the latest FIDIR.TXT file for QWC2019 (published on Jan 17, 2019... just a few days old) and I can't find that entry. In what file (exact name, date, and location) did you find that entry? 
    edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

It shows up in FIDIR.TXT dated Jan 10 in the .../Banklist/2019 folder and also the Oct 31 version in .../Banklist/2018.  However there is a file called FIDIR-C.TXT dated Jan 17 in .../Banklist/UNZIP and it's missing from that one, just the other two entries are there.  
    edited January 25
    Calimero said:

In the past, if my antivirus was set to protected window, i had a hard time to download transactions manually. Don't know if this is relevant in this case.

Thanks but no, the QFX files are downloading properly via Web Connect.  The problem is that when Quicken tries to open them, something fails (and Quicken recognizes it but popping up an error message).  Many users seem to be encountering this immediately after upgrading to R16.16 so that has to be the common issue.
  • edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

@Chris: below is a screenshot of the location, filename and contents of the current FIDIR.TXT. There is no EWC entry for Desjardin...
    edited January 25
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks,
    Carl

OK, that's probably the same file I have as FIDIR-C.TXT in the Banklist\UNZIP folder.  I wonder why it didn't overwrite the older version in Banklist\2019. I guess that's the end of the road for the Express option.
  • Alan MacieAlan Macie Member
    edited January 25

RBC, BMO
    edited January 25
    I'm the original poster, with the original error

Quicken is having trouble opening C:\Users\Carl\Downloads\ofx#####.qfx file.
    Try opening it from Quicken by choosing File -> Open -> Quicken File

I stopped getting this error after several hours.
    Now everything seems to be working as always.

So it seems my issue is resolved.  Have other users with this problem had similar results?
This discussion has been closed.