all my data was wiped out three times

About five years ago, everything - two checking accounts, investments, credit card accounts - were wiped out. I opened Quicken, and they were just gone. Quicken had reset to about 18 months before. Took several days to reenter the data from paper bank statements, etc.
A few days ago, it happened again. All data wiped out to a point in early 2017. As I set about restoring it, I needed to create a ledger for a new checking account. I clicked new. Quicken asked if I wanted to start over again? I clicked yes, since I needed a new check ledger. This time, it erased everything pre-2017. 
Both in 2019 and in about 2014, I went to the Quicken backups. My computer and Quicken saves them, but both times, the data wasn't there.
In the case of a few days ago, I would have saved the pre-2017 data if Quicken had asked me, "Are you sure. This will erase all data on all accounts." I would have clicked no.
Bottom line. I'll never trust Quicken again, and I'll never buy Quicken again.

Comments

• mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Just so we know what to avoid, were you using Quicken for Windows or Quicken for Mac?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Gary PinnellGary Pinnell Member
    edited January 24
    Quicken for Mac 2017, version 4.8.3. Back in 2012 or so, I was probably using Quicken Essentials or an earlier version.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24
    Never hear of Quicken ever wiping out all data... It sounds like when you clicked New, you may have accidentally asked it to create a new FILE rather than a new REGISTER.... This would mean that the old data is still on your computer. Either that or something is missing in the information.

Just in case, consider reading this FAQ:
    (If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 25
    I'm sitting here now restoring the data, so I yes, Quicken does wipe out data.
    Register is my word for the check register-like file that Quicken creates to keep my check register data. 
    Searched the word library and Quicken. My old data is not still on my computer. 
    But thanks for your suggestion
    edited January 24

Register is my word for the check register-like file that Quicken creates to keep my check register data. 

The default location is hidden in the System Lilbrary folders and will not show up in a standard Search. If you have not already, you need to follow the instructions at the link above.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited January 24

you need to follow the instructions at the link above

If the link above is 

I can't read masses of info and decipher where to go. 

In a few words, how do i get to '~/Library/Application Support/Quicken 2015/Documents ' on my computer?
    edited January 24

One way to manually navigate there:
    • 3/ You can reveal and open the Library folder by holding the Option key when you open the Go menu in the Finder, and Library will appear as an option. Once open, you can navigate the Library folder to the location(s) noted above.
    • If you want to be able to permanently reveal the Library folder, in the Finder select "View > Show View Options" (or command J), then check the box that says "Show Library Folder". The Library will show in the Finder just like other folders.
    This assumes you purchased Quicken from Quicken or a third party and NOT from the Apple store. Otherwise, the file location is:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.intuit.Quicken.2015/Data/Library/Application Support/Quicken 2015/Documents

• edited January 25

2007 Quicken for Mac was wonderful and then they changed it. Still looking for different simple to use checkbook software.
This discussion has been closed.