Quicken Mac 2007 (Lion) Needed

WTWT Member
I have a copy of Quicken Mac 2007 (Snow Leopard version), but I need a copy of Quicken Mac 2007 (Lion) to keep working with my files on a new computer. I purchased a used copy of Quicken Mac 2015, but I can't stand it.

Based on a number of older posts on this site, it looks like Quicken used to make the Lion version available to people with Quicken 2017. I contacted Quicken support to see if this was still true, but the representative said that the download was no longer available and suggested I find it elsewhere. Can anyone else confirm whether Quicken will still provide the download or not? I would buy a used copy of Quicken 2017 or sign up for Quicken subscription just to get the copy of Quicken Mac 2007 (Lion).

If Quicken won't provide the download, does anyone know of a reputable place to obtain a copy? On eBay, I found a seller claiming to sell a copy via USB: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intuit-Quick...

However, this seems sketchy to me. For one, I thought Intuit only offered the software via download, yet the picture appears to show an Intuit branded USB and invoice. I'd be immediately concerned that the software includes malware, viruses, etc. Anyone have luck with this?

Comments

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited January 25
    WT, you are correct about the history. Quicken did, at one time, provide the updated Lion version of Quicken 2007 for a fee. In more recent years, they provided it free if you had already purchased the modern Quicken Mac and needed 2007 as an intermediate version to import your data. But that stopped a few years ago, when they finally ended all support for Quicken 2007.

I believe they had some limited licensing arrangement for whatever code they acquired to get Quicken 2007 to run on macOS after Apple had removed the Rosetta code in Lion and beyond. Rosetta was a layer of the OS that allowed Power PC applications to run. I don't know what code they acquired or from whom, but there were odd limitations on what they could do even when they had it available; they couldn't advertise it; they couldn't sell new copies, only upgrades. I don't know if there was a time limit on that license, or if the license was to Intuit and couldn't be transferred to the independent Quicken, but the fact is that there is simply nothing Quicken will do to provide copies of Quicken 2007 anymore, for any reason, according to many who have tried and posted their results here.

The only solution for people who want to acquire Quicken 2007 Lion now is to find one online. This one shows up on eBay periodically. I'm not sure why it goes away and comes back if the same person has multiple copies. I've wondered if he had one copy, one invoice, and he just copies it onto thumb drives and sells them. But thought that might be unethical, it should work! Since it's explicity advertised as the Lion version, I imagine if you didn't get what you bought, you'd have purchase protection from the buyer or eBay. All I can say is that no one who has psoted here seeking the same verion you are, and who has found this seller, has come back to post that they got scammed. That's by no means a guarantee, only a positive sign. Also keep in mind that the market fr Quicken 2007 is extremely small, so it seems unlikely someone would go to the trouble of trying to engineer malware into it for the handful of people who buy it. Again, no certainty, just trying to apply some logic to it. If I really needed Quicken 2007, I would buy it and try it.

Three other quick notes:

(1) Quicken Mac has come a long, long way since Quicken 2015. There's still a lot of funcitonality users are waiting for, but they've added a lot since 2015. Keep in mind that you can always buy a copy of quicken 2019, try it for a few weeks, and if you still dislike it, get your money back from Quicken if you act within 30 days of purchase.

(2) You may be aware of this, but macOS Mojave is the last operating system which will run Quicken 2007. When Apple brings out its next update this fall, it wil not run any 32-bit applications, and Quicken 2007 flat-out won't run. That's not a problem as long as you're okay with keeping your new computer on Mojafe for as long as you continue to need to stick to Quicken 2007. Hopefully, the developers will keep chipping away at the missing features in the modern quicken Mac, and you'll find it to be an acceptable replacement by the end of this year, or next year. 

(3) If you *do* get the copy of Quicken 2007, and if your new Mac has a hard drive formatted as APFS (which will be the case if you're running Mojave, or High Sierra if the Mac doesn't have a fusion hard drive), you'll need to dsiable the prference for automatic backups of the data file, and make your backups manually. That functionality does not work with drives formatted as APFS.

QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • WTWT Member
    edited January 26
    Thanks for the thorough reply and insights. Do you know if Intuit or Quicken ever provided the Lion version via USB or via CD? Or, was it only available via download?

Regarding the thumb drive, I also noticed online that this seller has repeatedly sold a similar USB thumb drive on multiple occasions. I assumed the same as you that the seller is making multiple copies and agree it is unlikely someone would have gone through the efforts to build malware into the application. My concern is that the malware would be built into the USB itself and setup to self propagate itself on any computer it was plugged into. I don't know that others on this site who purchased the USB would necessarily become aware if this type of malware was included. But, would someone really be going after users of a niche software application? Probably not, but I'd rather not want to deal with this kind of problem.

My other idea was to buy a cheap Windows box and get Windows Quicken, which always seems to get better development from what I read. However, I view this as an absolute last resort and is a much more expensive option.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    edited January 24
    WT said:

Thanks for the thorough reply and insights. Do you know if Intuit or Quicken ever provided the Lion version via USB or via CD? Or, was it only available via download?

Regarding the thumb drive, I also noticed online that this seller has repeatedly sold a similar USB thumb drive on multiple occasions. I assumed the same as you that the seller is making multiple copies and agree it is unlikely someone would have gone through the efforts to build malware into the application. My concern is that the malware would be built into the USB itself and setup to self propagate itself on any computer it was plugged into. I don't know that others on this site who purchased the USB would necessarily become aware if this type of malware was included. But, would someone really be going after users of a niche software application? Probably not, but I'd rather not want to deal with this kind of problem.

My other idea was to buy a cheap Windows box and get Windows Quicken, which always seems to get better development from what I read. However, I view this as an absolute last resort and is a much more expensive option.

I don't think there was ever a CD, but USB drive does sound familiar. It was mostly done via download, but I think they offered USB for people who couldn't download.

If you're really worried about something nefarious on the USB drive, could you do something like go to a public library that has Macs available, plug it in, zip the Quicken file, open a web browser private/incognito window, and email it to yourself? (I'm assuming the library will have software to detect virus and such, and probably resets their computers daily or frequently). Or you could contact the seller to see if he'd zip the file and email it to you; unlikely, but who knows?

As for doing this versus buying a Windows computer and Quicken Windows, well, that's like comparing apples to... a street; they're such very different solutions that it's almost impossible to compare. Only you can assess if you'd be better off with that option. 
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    edited January 25
    jacobs said:

WT, you are correct about the history. Quicken did, at one time, provide the updated Lion version of Quicken 2007 for a fee. In more recent years, they provided it free if you had already purchased the modern Quicken Mac and needed 2007 as an intermediate version to import your data. But that stopped a few years ago, when they finally ended all support for Quicken 2007.

I believe they had some limited licensing arrangement for whatever code they acquired to get Quicken 2007 to run on macOS after Apple had removed the Rosetta code in Lion and beyond. Rosetta was a layer of the OS that allowed Power PC applications to run. I don't know what code they acquired or from whom, but there were odd limitations on what they could do even when they had it available; they couldn't advertise it; they couldn't sell new copies, only upgrades. I don't know if there was a time limit on that license, or if the license was to Intuit and couldn't be transferred to the independent Quicken, but the fact is that there is simply nothing Quicken will do to provide copies of Quicken 2007 anymore, for any reason, according to many who have tried and posted their results here.

The only solution for people who want to acquire Quicken 2007 Lion now is to find one online. This one shows up on eBay periodically. I'm not sure why it goes away and comes back if the same person has multiple copies. I've wondered if he had one copy, one invoice, and he just copies it onto thumb drives and sells them. But thought that might be unethical, it should work! Since it's explicity advertised as the Lion version, I imagine if you didn't get what you bought, you'd have purchase protection from the buyer or eBay. All I can say is that no one who has psoted here seeking the same verion you are, and who has found this seller, has come back to post that they got scammed. That's by no means a guarantee, only a positive sign. Also keep in mind that the market fr Quicken 2007 is extremely small, so it seems unlikely someone would go to the trouble of trying to engineer malware into it for the handful of people who buy it. Again, no certainty, just trying to apply some logic to it. If I really needed Quicken 2007, I would buy it and try it.

Three other quick notes:

(1) Quicken Mac has come a long, long way since Quicken 2015. There's still a lot of funcitonality users are waiting for, but they've added a lot since 2015. Keep in mind that you can always buy a copy of quicken 2019, try it for a few weeks, and if you still dislike it, get your money back from Quicken if you act within 30 days of purchase.

(2) You may be aware of this, but macOS Mojave is the last operating system which will run Quicken 2007. When Apple brings out its next update this fall, it wil not run any 32-bit applications, and Quicken 2007 flat-out won't run. That's not a problem as long as you're okay with keeping your new computer on Mojafe for as long as you continue to need to stick to Quicken 2007. Hopefully, the developers will keep chipping away at the missing features in the modern quicken Mac, and you'll find it to be an acceptable replacement by the end of this year, or next year. 

(3) If you *do* get the copy of Quicken 2007, and if your new Mac has a hard drive formatted as APFS (which will be the case if you're running Mojave, or High Sierra if the Mac doesn't have a fusion hard drive), you'll need to dsiable the prference for automatic backups of the data file, and make your backups manually. That functionality does not work with drives formatted as APFS.

A few notes for completeness and accuracy:
     But that stopped a few years ago, when they finally ended all support for Quicken 2007.
    Actually, IIRC, as late as some time last year there was report of some rep(s) still offering QM2007 as an intermediary IF you have purchased the current version, even after a pause of not offering it. That said, it may have been a very rare occurrence that may only be reproducible IF you get the right rep, so probability is quite low, if at all. So your best bet is somewhere else.

A side note, it is rather an arbitrary and odd choice by Quicken to not offer this for migrators, especially in light of the fact that they still offer QW2004 as an intermediary to assist migrators from as far back as QWin '98 AND the fact that QMac is still designed to import QM2007 data. 
     macOS Mojave is the last operating system which will run Quicken 2007. When Apple brings out its next update this fall, it wil [sic] not run any 32-bit applications...
    Again, this is what Apple announced last Fall but as technology goes, anything can change. No doubt that this is Apple's plan, but until it is published in final form, we will not know for sure. Again, probability is low that it will change, but not zero. 
    That's not a problem as long as you're okay with keeping your new computer on Mojafe [sic] for as long as you continue to need to stick to Quicken 2007.

There actually is an alternative. If the next macOS does not support 32-bit software, you should be able to set up a VM (virtual machine) to still run a copy of Mojave or older in it to then be able to run QM2007. So it is not a complete dead end.
    ... if your new Mac has a hard drive formatted as APFS ...you'll need to dsiable [sic] the prference [sic] for automatic backups of the data file, and make your backups manually. 
    Though that his the simplest approach, it is not the only one. If you are intent on using the automated backup within QM2007, you can still use it with Mojave IF you have or create an HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) formatted drive or partition. Then all you have to do is store BOTH the main data file AND the backup files on that drive/partition and the feature will still work.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(STILL using QM2007, Canadian user since '92)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 25
    WT said:

Though QWin has certainly had far more development work in the past, it is unclear that QWin is getting more development vs QMac at this point...though it is certainly the case that QMac does have a lot of catching up to do. Plus the demand for QWin is artificially inflated at this point because many QWin users are clamouring to be able to migrate to QMac but can't/don't due to missing features.

Plus migrating data from QMac to QWin is a tedious task as it is not a clean process, even for older versions of QMac data (using QIF exports and imports) (unless you are simply considering starting from scratch).

Food for thought.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• WTWT Member
    edited January 26
    WT said:

So, in the meantime, someone posted a CD version of Quicken Mac 2007 (Lion) on eBay that has part number 503373. I've bought it, and if the CD has an "Authentic Intuit" hologram (like my versions of Quicken Mac 2007 (Snow Leopard) and Quicken Mac 2015), then I'll take that as a good sign. I will report back on it when it arrives.

If the CD comes with the 16.1.0 version of Quicken Mac 2007 (Lion), does anyone know whether Quicken still provides the patch updates to get to version 16.2.4?
    edited January 26
    WT said:

Last time I tried some months ago, the server was still responding and providing the update. Let me try it again....

edited January 26
    WT said:

Good News! I tried to update a copy of v16.1.4 and the servers responded and downloaded the 16.2.4 version upon a request for updates.

• WTWT Member
    edited January 31
    I received the CD and it has an "Authentic Intuit" hologram.  Ran virus scanning software and the CD came up clean.  Installed version 16.1.0, and it updated to 16.2.4.

Appears to be working well; Thanks for all the responses!
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser
    Glad to hear it was legitimate and that it works for you. Thanks for taking time to post to let us know your situation was successfully resolved.  :)

If you are now on a Mac running Mojave, or High Sierra with a drive formatted as APFS, you should go into Quicken Preferences and turn OFF automatic backups. This feature doesn't work with APFS-formatted hard drives. Just make sure you're creating manual backup of your Quicken data file fairly frequently, and/or using an automated backup solution like Time Machine, iDrive, BackBlaze, etc.