Quicken does not open .QFX file automatically

Running on Windows 10. Just upgraded to latest release and now I'm having download problems.  Quicken account registers were not updating from bank downloads so I decided to close and re-open the app.  That's when I found a string of error windows (one for each failed download) that I had not previously noticed because they were not being displayed on top of the Quicken window as they should:
I opened the download files using File Import (not File -> Open Quicken File as the error dialog suggested, because that only applies to .QDx file formats) and the data did populate account registers correctly. 

Three obvious inputs to Quicken:
 - restore the auto-open functionality
 - make the error window appear on top of the active Quicken window
 - fix the error wording to provide the correct procedure

I'm going to try loading the Mondo patch in case it addresses these issues, but otherwise I guess I'm stuck until the update is reissued.

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    @Chris: I've noted a few posts that are similar to yours. Based on your post and other similar posts, I am surmising that R16.16 introduced a bug that is interfering with normal behaviour of Web Connect. I have installed the R16.16 patch, but I use Express Web Connect, not Web Connect, so I haven't encountered the Web Connect issue. I have drawn this potential issue to the attention of the site moderators. They may reach out to you at the email address you provided when you signed up for Get Satisfaction. 
  • Ray WilcockRay Wilcock Member
    edited January 25
    Where to you find the patch?  I just downloaded the new version and am receiving the same error message.  When I use the File/Import it refers to QXF Files, however the download from RBC indicates .QFX files.  Is there a bug? 
  • Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member ✭✭
    edited January 25

Where to you find the patch?  I just downloaded the new version and am receiving the same error message.  When I use the File/Import it refers to QXF Files, however the download from RBC indicates .QFX files.  Is there a bug? 

@Ray Wilcock, File Import handles QFX, maybe you misread it
    edited January 25
    There is no potential harm with installing the Mondo patch, but I doubt it will fix the issue. I believe this could be a bug and, if so, the Mondo patch - at the same Rev level - won’t fix the issue/bug.
    edited January 25
    I had the same feeling, no harm done if I reload the update.  Just tried another download and got the same result.  On hold for (legitimate) tech support now.
    edited January 25

You are correct.  Thank you.  I was able to down load manually.  Funny, how it was automatic before by clicking on the download.  Cheers
  • BonnieBonnie Member
    edited January 25
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't download transactions from CIBC.

I updated my Quicken today and now can no longer download bank transactions from CIBC into my Quicken Starter (for Windows) R16.16. Error message tells me to download from within Quicken. But no transactions show up!
  • ColinGruchyColinGruchy Member
    edited January 28
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled One step update not launching automatically after Jan 23 2019 update.

One step update no longer starts automatically when I open Quicken since the January 23 2019 update. Now I have to manually click on One step update, which works fine. I checked the preferences and the Download Transactions When Quicken Starts is ticked. I checked the One Step Update settings the Download transactions and balances are checked for each institution, and Online services have checks for Sync to Quicken Cloud, Download quotes and investment information, Download currency exchange rates. Not a big deal, but it's so much easier when I open Quicken and the first thing I'm prompted for is my One Step Update password. Hopefully the next update will fix this minor annoyance. Quicken Home and Business; Year 2019; Version R16.16; Build 27.1.16.16.; Edition Canada.
    edited January 28
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

Correction - One Step Update has not worked fine since the update. During the update it temporarily freezes on a "One Step Update is Not Responding" message, then after a few seconds resumes normally. This is true for a complete One Step Update as well as for the Quotes only update which launched using the Update button on the Investing screen. I performed a File Validation and everything is OK. I retried each type of update after the file validation and the freeze still happens. I have sent a report to Quicken from the Quicken software feedback tool.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: One step update not launching automatically after Jan 23 2019 update.
  • PaulPaul Member
    edited January 25
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Download request offers only the save option for some bank accounts..

Q. 2018; R4.4; Build: 27.1.4.4 Canada. For bank accounts (bns & bmo), when downloading account info, I used to get the option to open or save the file. Now I get only the save option. This works, but prefer the 1 step. This option still works for credit cards.
    edited January 25
    Just got off the phone with tech support.  They told me that i have to contact the Bank?  Not helpful at all.  You helped me just by pointing me in the right direction.  If I have to do it manually, so be it.  Thumbs Up.
    edited January 25
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Moving to merge.

@Paul: A couple issues in play here...

Firstly, how can it be that you are on Q2018 R4.4? Quicken 2018 should have automatically patched and upgraded to Q2019 R15.24 or R16.1. You are running a very outdated version of Quicken and, since you are actively downloading transactions, you must have an active subscription. So, the first thing you should do is to run the Mondo patch that is available here --> https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

Secondly, it sounds like you are using the Web Connect method of download transactions. It sounds like either a bank issue or a browser issue, but not a Quicken or Windows issue. It is Windows that should be recognizing the QFX file extension and, therefore, automatically routing that information to Quicken. Are you certain that you are downloading a QFX file in all cases and it only opens automatically in some selective cases?

Have you considered using Express Web Connect and One Step Update. EWC (and OSU) are supported by your banks.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Download request offers only the save option for some bank accounts..
    edited January 25

@Chris: I've noted a few posts that are similar to yours. Based on your post and other similar posts, I am surmising that R16.16 introduced a bug that is interfering with normal behaviour of Web Connect. I have installed the R16.16 patch, but I use Express Web Connect, not Web Connect, so I haven't encountered the Web Connect issue. I have drawn this potential issue to the attention of the site moderators. They may reach out to you at the email address you provided when you signed up for Get Satisfaction. 

Likewise.  Talking to real tech suppot now but they seem to be oblivious to this bug.  I just submitted a copy to their file exchange site.  They wanted to blame the problem on data file corruption but I created a new QDF file and had the same download issue.  Problem is now being "officially" reported to Quicken.
    edited January 25
    No, the problem is definitely in Quicken.  The bank's file works fine if you load it manually.  Also I had the same problem with QFX from two unrelated banks.  Lastly tech support had me create a blank QDF file, and it had the same problem again so it's not due to my data file.  The fact that others are experiencing an identical problem with R16.16 certainly points to a software bug.  Tech support says the update can't be removed, and it will probably take a few weeks to get this resolved.
    edited January 25
    Bonnie said:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't download transactions from CIBC.

I updated my Quicken today and now can no longer download bank transactions from CIBC into my Quicken Starter (for Windows) R16.16. Error message tells me to download from within Quicken. But no transactions show up!

Try File Import/Web Connect (QFX) Files.  Search for the files in your download directly.  Had the same issue with RBC download and was able to solve it.
    edited January 25
    Bonnie said:

Just a slight correction to the instructions - Search for QFX files in your "Downloads" directory.  There will be many of them - just select the latest one for each account.
    edited January 25

@Chris. This issue now has the attention of the site moderators who can escalate the issue to PRoduct Development.
    edited January 26
    @all persons who are experiencing the described issue with Web Connect and QC2019 R16.16...

Quicken has asked me to test this for them. I don't normally use Web Connect (I use Express Web Connect instead), but I can run a WC test.

I bank with RBC and BMO. It would be helpful to understand whether any of you have observed this problem with either or both of RBC and BMO.
    edited January 25
    Hi.  I used web connect and was able to download QFX files from RBC.  Before the update it was automatic by clicking on the downloaded file.  After the update, I had to run through Quicken and point to it through the import command.  I am going to try One Step Update using the Express Web Connect in the future.
    edited January 25
    Looks like @Ray Wilcock uses RBC and @Paul uses BMO, both experiencing this problem.  I had it with Desjardins and Tangerine downloads, and it recurred when performing a Web Connect download into a blank QDF file.
    edited January 25

Hi.  I used web connect and was able to download QFX files from RBC.  Before the update it was automatic by clicking on the downloaded file.  After the update, I had to run through Quicken and point to it through the import command.  I am going to try One Step Update using the Express Web Connect in the future.

@Ray - for after this is resolved, did you know that you can configure your browser to automatically run specific filename extensions that are associated to a specific program?  When I download QFX files, they automatically load into Quicken with no further action.  If Quicken is not already open, it will open automatically when a QFX file is downloaded.
    edited January 25

How do you do this Chris?  Beyond my scope.  Thanks.
    edited January 25

Depends on the browser - you can Google "auto open download".  For Chrome, when the downloaded file shows up in the download bar at the bottom of the screen, right-click and select "Always open with (Quicken)"  You might have to look up Quicken as the program to open QFX files.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    Have you guys checked the settings, both in your browser and Windows for files of type QFX? Do the settings correctly point to the Quicken program or somehwere else?

For example, Windows 8.1:

edited January 25
    Yes, default is still set properly and the error message suggests that Quicken is trying to open the file but somehow failing.
    edited January 28
    Why was my topic merged with the .QFX issue? It has nothing to do with it. My issue is that when opening Quicken, the first thing that would pop up was ENTER VAULT PASSWORD, which when entered it launched ONE STEP UPDATE. That is what I mean by ONE STEP UPDATE no longer starting automatically when I open Quicken. Now when I open Quicken, I have to click on the ONE STEP UPDATE icon manually, at which point the ENTER VAULT PASSWORD dialog box appears. Please UNMERGE my topic from this .QFX issue, otherwise it will never get addressed. Thank you.
    edited January 26

@all persons who are experiencing the described issue with Web Connect and QC2019 R16.16...

Quicken has asked me to test this for them. I don't normally use Web Connect (I use Express Web Connect instead), but I can run a WC test.

I bank with RBC and BMO. It would be helpful to understand whether any of you have observed this problem with either or both of RBC and BMO.

I don't know what Web Connect is vs. Express Web Connect.  I've never heard of those terms.  All I know is that I added my accounts to One Step Update. When I click the One Step Update button it downloads the transactions for my BMO Chequing accounts, my BMO Mastercard, and my TD VIsa card. The account transactions are downloading OK without any issue after the update to R16.16.  The only issue I have now is that I have to manually click the One Step Update icon. I never used to do this, it used to launch automatically when I opened Quicken.  In addition, Quicken does not allow one to add US dollar accounts to One Step Update. So in order to download transactions from my BMO US Dollar chequing account and my BMO US Dollar MasterCard I go to those accounts on the BMO Online banking website, I select Download Account Details (one account at a time). A pop-up at the bottom of the screen says "What do you want to do with statement.qfx? " OPEN, SAVE, or CANCEL. I click on OPEN. The transactions are downloaded to Quicken (if Quicken isn't open at the time, the software is launched). 
    edited January 26

@Colin Gruchy: If you are using One Step Update (OSU), then you must be using Express Web Connect. OSU does not work with Web Connect. If you open your account list, I expect that you'll see "Yes (Express Web Connect)" beside each of the accounts for which you have set up to work with One Step Update.

One Step Update runs all of your Express Web Connect connections, all of your Direct Connect connections (we don't have Direct Connect in Canada, but if we did, OSU would run it), updates your security prices, and updates f/x rates. Instead of running OSU, you could update your EWC connections individually (by Bank ID) by clicking on the Lightening bolt Update Now from the Gear Icon Menu in the upper right corner of the register, but using that method won't update security prices or f/x rates. Hence the term One Step Update... it updates everything... except Web Connect downloads.

The process you describe for your BMO US Dollar MC is the Web Connect process. If, again, you look at this account in your Account List, you will see it listed as being set up for Web Connect.

The problem that is being described here is that for some people, when they click on Open, it either presents and error message or just doesn't open. It is working fine for you and it is working fine for me, but some people are experiencing a problem after running the R16.16 update.
    edited January 26

Thanks! Learned something new. I have never looked at my Account List. I do see Express Web Connect beside the $CAD BMO accounts and Web Connect beside the $USD BMO accounts. I think there is something buggy about R16.16. When OSU is running, sometimes, not every time, it pauses for a second or two with a "not responding" message then continues and completes successfully. It has never completely crashed or frozen. This is only after R16.16. I have also sent another issue to Quicken Support about the Search box no longer appearing at the top right corner of the Title Bar. Quicken has acknowledged this and has submitted a request to the dev team to see if it was part of the .NET removal on R16.16 (whatever that is  - maybe this .NET removal is messing with the .QFX files or OSU or both). We will just have to wait and see. 
This discussion has been closed.