Fraudulent/Scam Quicken Support

I can see from earlier posts that I am not the first to experience this situation:

A community user posts a problem on this site, then receives an email response (apparently generated by this site) that appears to come from a Quicken employee, suggesting a call to a toll-free number for support.  That call is answered by someone who knows a lot about Quicken, and may even offer a screen share.  Eventually an apparently relevant problem is uncovered that will require more detailed scrutiny, but wait - the user's support program was not activated.  To continue the investigation, it will be necessary to buy a support package.

That was the point at which I said I did not want to pay anything extra and the call ended.  Surprisingly, there was no real pressure to buy in.  I was subsequently alerted by more than one Champion user to the fact that this is a sophisticated scam.  When I went back to the thread of emails from other users commenting on my original post, I found that if I clicked on their name in the email, their profile summary would open in a browser window.  When I did the same for the two supposed Quicken employees, I got a "page not found" error.  To make things even more complicated, one of the employee names (Quicken Sarah) actually matches a legitimate Quicken employee who supports this forum.  The other (Alex Quicken) is an inversion of a legitimate employee's name.

I presume that the email notification is being generated by a posted response that was quickly deleted, because I can no longer find it in the thread but it was evidently noticed by a Champion user who alerted me to the issue.  

My question is, if Quicken wants this site to be trusted by its customers, why do they not track down the scammers and block them from the site?  

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    For the same reason the world does not crackdown on the scum scammers that prey on old ladies and helpless people, they can't.  This is an open forum and as such these "people" have found a way to login post there garbage and then delete themselves or be deleted by forum support admin.

The good news is there is hope coming soon...
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1903
  • Chris SowerbyChris Sowerby Member
    edited January 25
    I suspected as much, but thanks for the encouragement.  I just wanted to keep the topic current and visible to new potential victims!
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    There is a solution coming next month which will (hopefully) solve the problem.
  • BBBobBBBob Member
    edited January 25
    Chris. You do pose an interesting question.

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    why do they not track down the scammers and block them from the site?  
    They/We do that.  But, like Whack-a-mole, they keep popping up with new user names and new IP addresses

So, since GetSat doesn't allow us to control who posts here, we can only whack those moles after the fact, we're kinda between a rock and a hard place ... until next month.  Stay Tuned
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
    edited January 27
    I just had a look at the OFX Log that the "Quicken Support" tech reviewed as I watched.  I then compared it to the current OFX Log from my Quicken directory.  The two errors that he "discovered":
    • Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    had simply been pasted into the TXT file that he saved the OFX log into.  It seemed a bit strange to me that this kind of error message would appear in the middle of a download log but he was very slick and convincing.  Pretty worrisome experience in hindsight!
  • q_lurkerq_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25

I just had a look at the OFX Log that the "Quicken Support" tech reviewed as I watched.  I then compared it to the current OFX Log from my Quicken directory.  The two errors that he "discovered":

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    had simply been pasted into the TXT file that he saved the OFX log into.  It seemed a bit strange to me that this kind of error message would appear in the middle of a download log but he was very slick and convincing.  Pretty worrisome experience in hindsight!
    I recommend you followup by changing ALL your passwords to all financial websites since he got access to your OFX logs. The passwords are not contained in the logs, but account numbers are.  Changing passwords is a just-in-case step to protect yourself a touch better.  
    edited January 25

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    Thanks for the reminder.  Fortunately there are only two banks in the OFX data so I changed those as a precaution.  Of course, it's scary to realize the scammers can still be following this conversation.  I really hope Quicken decides to restrict access to registered users so that activities are traceable.  This forum should be of no interest to anyone without a Quicken account anyway.
    edited January 26

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    And for the record, the fake support phone number I was given to call was

(833) 8xx0xxx.

Do not call this number!!  Fortunately it seems to be a toll-free number so at least the call wasn't chargeable.
    edited January 26

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    I'm just wondering who edited out the number I entered in my previous post. I reposted it as an image, will be interesting to see what happens next.
  • Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    Please, please, please! Do not post the scam support number here. Other users think it's the real number and call it. Thanks! Greg
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    Any scam numbers will be edited out... for safety reasons.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 26

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    I fail to see how it it can be "safer" to suppress a scam number when the post clearly says "Do not call" this number.  If the moderators have decided to implement this policy I will respect it but I would have preferred to make such numbers visible with appropriate cautions.  To do otherwise is a disservice to Quicken customers.  It gives the impression that Quicken is denying the presence of unwelcome lurkers on this site.
    edited January 26

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    There have been some who still call... go figure.  :-\

And these show up in Google searches...

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

• Greg_the_GeekGreg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/you-all-suck-have-been-with-you-since-the-90ssue...
    Quicken 2017 H&B - Windows 10
    edited January 27

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    Please also read this recent post:
    https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/you-all-suck-have-been-with-you-since-the-90ssue...

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

edited January 27

• Sync Manager
      is corrupted.
    • Company File
      Damage 78%.
    Except that https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/you-all-suck-have-been-with-you-since-the-90ssue... just got closed because the discussion was deemed "argumentative".  I really feel Quicken could be doing more to alert its customers to the hazards.
This discussion has been closed.