Express Web connect

I am using Quicken Starter
Year:  2019, 
Version:  R16.16, 
Build:  27.1.16.16
Edition:  Canada

I just changed my connection type of several RBC accounts and a TD account from Web Connect to Express Web connect. 
Everything seems to work fine so far, One Step Update is working to update the accounts
I have a couple questions about using the scheduling function.

If I schedule to overnight, do I leave Quicken open or not?
What happens if my computer goes to sleep? 
Are there any other drawbacks to scheduling updates?

Thanks

Comments

• Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian)Arctic Hare (H&B 2019 Canadian) SuperUser ✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    @ceschnurr: Glad to hear it is working fine for you. A couple of important things to note, which confuse some people. EWC only fetches new transactions once per day (unless you force it to update, which is possible) and typically at night. New transactions are generally available a day after they post to the bank. So, if you make a debit transaction Monday afternoon, you might expect it to download on Wednesday morning. There are a few caveats and exceptions to this, which I won't get into unless you really care for detail. Because banks only post transaction on weekdays, new transactions are only available on EWC on Tuesday, Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Sat; NOT on Sun and Mon. This really confuses some people. Of course, if you made a transaction on Wed and you first tried downloading it on Sunday, it would appear, but the new transaction you made on Friday, might not appear until Tuesday (i.e. transaction ate plus to EWC days later).

I don't use the scheduling function because it is incompatible with having a password on your Quicken file.

If you don't have a password on your Quicken file and you use the scheduling function, then your PC will need to be awake to do the update. You can set up an event to wakeup your PC, depending on what sleep state it is in, etc. All this considered, I find it much easier to just push the OSU button when I go into Quicken. Also, Quicken recommends that you NOT keep the Quicken software open on your PC. Honestly, I am guilty of keeping Q open most of the time, but it is not a best practice.

• ceschnurrceschnurr Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Thanks for the reply.

I haven't been able to fully test.  The initial download seemed to work properly, but now that there are no more downloads, when I click the OSU button, the OSU summary indicates the correct time of the download, and zero transactions (because there are no new ones)

So I'll likely have to wait a few days to be fully confident.

I don't understand exactly what you mean when say EWC 'fetches' new transactions once per day.
    Doesn't it fetch new transactions whenever you click the OSU button?
    I think you may mean that it can only be scheduled once per day.
    I agree that the advantages of scheduling OSU may not be worth security risks.

The dates/timing of transactions downloaded from the bank website seem identical to downloading with OSU.

A couple more questions.

Now that I've switched to EWC, will Web Connect still work if I click on the Download Transaction button from the bank's website?

My understanding from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    is that Express Web Connect will not identify transfers or bill payment transactions from Quicken and communicate them to the bank to be executed.  As such it only records banking data, and cannot actually affect my bank accounts.  This is critical to me, could you please confirm.
    edited January 25
    Thanks for the reply.

I haven't been able to fully test.  The initial download seemed to work properly, but now that there are no more downloads, when I click the OSU button, the OSU summary indicates the correct time of the download, and zero transactions (because there are no new ones)

I don't understand exactly what you mean when say EWC 'fetches' new transactions once per day.

The dates/timing of transactions downloaded from the bank website seem identical to downloading with OSU.

A couple more questions.

Now that I've switched to EWC, will Web Connect still work if I click on the Download Transaction button from the bank's website?

My understanding from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank
    is that Express Web Connect will not identify transfers or bill payment transactions from Quicken and communicate them to the bank to be executed.  As such it only records banking data, and cannot actually affect my bank accounts.  This is critical to me, could you please confirm.
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions.

The way EWC works is that there are 3 separate schedules. The first is what you set up in Quicken which goes out to get whatever the aggregator servers have picked up. The second is how often the aggregator servers actually go and get data from the FIs/Banks. And then there is the timing of when the FIs/Banks actually post data.

Typically FIs/Banks post their data once a day. Then typically FIs/Banks only allow aggregator servers to get data once a day, which may or may not be synced or coordinated at the same time, since EWC does not involve the FI/Bank to participate. And as Arctic Hare points out, some only make data available 5 out of 7 days. 

So depending on your schedule, the EWC process may only pick up data that is a far behind as 3 days. 

That said, in some instances, some FIs/Banks allow the EWC process to trigger every time there is a request. 

So the entire process varies from one FI/Bank to another. 

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    edited January 26
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions.

@ceschnurr: Adding to @smayer97's explanation... there is a way that you can force the aggregator servers to go fetch the most current data. The way you do this is to initiate the update from the lightening bolt update now command from the gear icon menu on the applicable registry. This will force the aggregator survey to login to your bank and fetch any new transactions. However, this works on only the one bank ID, so if you use this process, you'll have to do each bank ID separately. It also doesn't get security price quotes. I recommend using OSU normally, but if OSU get stuck (e.g. gives a CC-501 or CC-502 error) then it is worth giving the lightening bolt a go.

As for your other questions...

You should still be able to use Web Connect if you have Express Web Connect setup. I say should, because I have had some issues with doing this. Sometimes it seems to have difficulty mapping the Web Connect download to the correct account when EWC is setup. Again, this is supposed to work, but I've decided to rely exclusively on EWC and recommend that you not switch between methods.

EWC is strictly a one way download. Only Direct Connect and Quicken Bill Pay allow you to initiate bank transactions from Quicken. Neither Direct Connect nor QBP are available in Canada. EWC does not send any instructions to the bank. In fact, EWC cannot connect to your bank, it only connects to Intuit's aggregation servers.
    edited January 26
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions.

Another addition to @smayer97's comments:
    • the first schedule he described - when OSU runs - is optional; you can elect to manually initiate OSU, which is how I recommend using OSU;
    • the second schedule is normally determined by Intuit's aggregation server, but this can be forced/overridden by using the lightening bolt update now command
    • you have no control over the last schedule; some banks post faster than others. I find that BMO Mastercard posts particularly fast, faster than any of my RBC accounts.
    edited January 26
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions.

• the second schedule is normally determined by Intuit's aggregation server, but this can be forced/overridden by using the lightening bolt update now command
    The forced trigger will work IF the FI/Bank permits it, which is not always the case.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

edited January 28
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks for the reply.

A couple more questions.

My understanding from Quicken's PD Manager is that the forced process always works, although sometimes it must be run twice in succession. It has always worked for me... but that is a small scale test. I can say for certainty that it does work with RBC and BMO... which certainly covers a large slice of the Canadian market.
    edited January 26
    Thanks for the insight.

So my understanding of the Express Web Connect process.
    -Banks download info to Intuit aggregate server (typically daily)
    -The info stays on the Intuit server until I click OSU
    -The info is then sent to my computer Quicken.

Does Web Connect from the bank website go thru Intuit's aggregation server?

So far it seems to be functioning, but I had the same problem on two different accounts, when during Auto Reconcile.

I made an ATM withdrawal, and an email transfer this morning, and a few more yesterday.
    When I executed EWC from the OSU button, yesterday's transactions downloaded, but today's ATM withdrawal and email transfer didn't.
    Which I understand from the timing issues noted above.
    I couldn't balance the 'Cleared' and 'Statement Ending Balance'.
    The difference was the equivalent of today's transactions, and could not simply click the today's transactions to balance.  I repeated OSU update using lightning bolt, same issue.
    It was as though the current balance downloaded as though today's transactions were included, but the transactions themselves did not download.

I manually entered today's transactions thinking that this would allow me to Reconcile, but when I ran Reconcile, I get a warning that 'There are no uncleared items to reconcile' and do not show as uncleared transactions to be selected during Reconcile.  Even though the account register clearly showed my manual entries with today's date showing blank in the column 'Clr', 

I tried OSU a couple more times, Quicken crashed somewhere in the process and when I restarted Quicken.  When I restarted, and repeated reconcile it indicated the online balance at the end of yesterday, and today's transactions did not download, which is what I would expect, so I think my problem disappeared.

I don't know if this glitch was a timing issue associated with my first usage of EWC/OSU, or an issue with my recent update to Version R16.16
    edited January 26
    ceschnurr said:

Thanks for the insight.

So my understanding of the Express Web Connect process.
    -The info stays on the Intuit server until I click OSU
    -The info is then sent to my computer Quicken.

Does Web Connect from the bank website go thru Intuit's aggregation server?

So far it seems to be functioning, but I had the same problem on two different accounts, when during Auto Reconcile.

I made an ATM withdrawal, and an email transfer this morning, and a few more yesterday.
    When I executed EWC from the OSU button, yesterday's transactions downloaded, but today's ATM withdrawal and email transfer didn't.
    Which I understand from the timing issues noted above.
    I couldn't balance the 'Cleared' and 'Statement Ending Balance'.
    The difference was the equivalent of today's transactions, and could not simply click the today's transactions to balance.  I repeated OSU update using lightning bolt, same issue.
    It was as though the current balance downloaded as though today's transactions were included, but the transactions themselves did not download.

I manually entered today's transactions thinking that this would allow me to Reconcile, but when I ran Reconcile, I get a warning that 'There are no uncleared items to reconcile' and do not show as uncleared transactions to be selected during Reconcile.  Even though the account register clearly showed my manual entries with today's date showing blank in the column 'Clr', 

I tried OSU a couple more times, Quicken crashed somewhere in the process and when I restarted Quicken.  When I restarted, and repeated reconcile it indicated the online balance at the end of yesterday, and today's transactions did not download, which is what I would expect, so I think my problem disappeared.

I don't know if this glitch was a timing issue associated with my first usage of EWC/OSU, or an issue with my recent update to Version R16.16

Correction...with EWC it is a pull by the aggregator servers not a push by the FIs/Banks.

Web Connect is a download directly from the FI/Bank BUT when you go to load the data into Quicken, Quicken phones home to verify the registration of the FI/Bank with Quicken. If it is not, or if the internet connection is down, or if Quicken online functionality has expired, Quicken will refuse to load the data. 

edited January 27
    So Express Web Connect downloads files to aggregate server, while Web Connect does not.
    Is there a security risk with Quicken aggregateserver being hacked?
    Is it worth the risk worth the marginally added convenience?
    edited January 28
    ceschnurr said:

So Express Web Connect downloads files to aggregate server, while Web Connect does not.
    Is there a security risk with Quicken aggregateserver being hacked?
    Is it worth the risk worth the marginally added convenience?

@ceschnurr: firstly, with Express Web Connect, your bank ID (e.g. client card/number) and your corresponding online banking password are stored on Intuit's aggregation server (Quicken outsources aggregation to Intuit). The aggregation server logs into your bank accounts once per day to download new transactions. Then, when you run OSU, your local computer contacts the aggregation server and downloads the transaction history from the (Intuit) aggregation server. It is a two step process. So, with EWC, your banking password and your transactions are stored on an Intuit server. Web Connect does not rely on any sort of aggregation server.

Full disclosure... you just asked someone who assesses and manages risks in their professional life a risk question.

Is there a security risk with the Intuit aggregation server being hacked. Sure there is. Is there a risk with your bank's server being hacked. Sure there is. Intuit claims to employ bank level security protocols and systems.

I always try to talk about risk in terms of an "acceptable level of risk". I deem the use of EWC to be an acceptable level of risk, but you'll have to make that assessment and judgement yourself. 

I use three different bank IDs with Quicken. Thus, if I used Web Connect, every day I would have to log into three separate bank sites. I find that rather inconvenient.

In my view and judgement, the Intuit aggregation process present a relatively low, and, therefore, acceptable level of risk to me. I've never heard of case of anyone hacking into the Intuit server, but everyday I hear of people falling victim to other cyber scams and hacking.

If you truly find EWC only marginally more convenient, then, perhaps, you want to use WC. For me, EWC, is more than "marginally" more convenient that WC and, therefore, I accept the additional risk, which I judge to be small.

All that being said, I encourage every individual user to think through the convenience and risk factors and choose an approach that suits their individual profile.
This discussion has been closed.