TIAA-CREF Brokerage Services unable to connect, but traditional TIAA works

Cannot establish a download connection to TIAA-CREF Brokerage Services. Connection for the standard TIAA (mutual fund) account works fine.  I go to Add Account, Investment, Brokerage, then choose TIAA-CREF Brokerage Services, enter my (valid) TIAA name and password as indicated by the menu, and every time (for the past many weeks) it says, "Sorry. We encountered an error. (It's not your fault). "  While I am glad to know it is not my fault, I would love to know WHOSE fault it is because neither Quicken nor TIAA-CREF will admit to any fault.   The only troubleshooting I could perform was entering a fake ID and password to see if a DIFFERENT error would appear, but the same error appears.
Quicken Windows 2019 17.6 

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26

Does your password
    contain any special characters other than A...Z, a...z, 0...9? If so, which
    ones?  Express Web Connect - connected
    accounts cannot use these characters in passwords:  & < > \ or /

Some passwords are "case sensitive", i.e., "PASSWORD" is
    not equal to "password" or "Password"
    How long is password? Could it be too long for what Quicken supports?

Some banks or brokerages require special logon IDs, different from the website ID, to logon with Quicken. Check with the brokerage.
    Some banks require that you (or their support center) enable your account for "third party access". Has that been done?

If you haven't done
    so already, I'd say it's time to chat with Quicken Support or call them on the
    phone and request help. They can look at a log file on your system and determine the exact cause of the problem.

Quicken Support:

• To contact Quicken Support,
      please use this link only:

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support  and select Chat or Phone support. Phone
      support is only available during posted business hours. The phone number
      can found at this website.
    • If you are eligible for
      Premium Support (purchased separately or included as part of your
      subscription to Quicken 2018 Premier or above) call the number that can be
      found at the top of your My Account page at https://www.quicken.com/my-account  (US) or https://www.quicken.com/canada/my-account (Canada) next to
      "Quicken Premium Support" 
      when you log in with your Quicken ID.
    • Other links or phone numbers
      found elsewhere on the Internet, even in some posts or emails from the
      Community, may not be from Quicken or may not be up-to-date. Use those at
      your own risk.
    • Unlike other so-called
      "Quicken support providers", the real Quicken Support is free
      for all currently supported versions.

• Rich SRich S Member
    edited January 26
    "Does your password contain any special characters other than A...Z, a...z, 0...9?"

NO 

Some passwords are "case sensitive", i.e., "PASSWORD" is not equal to "password" or "Password"
    How long is password? Could it be too long for what Quicken supports?

NO

"Some banks or brokerages require special logon IDs, different from the website ID, to logon with Quicken. Check with the brokerage."

Quicken ADD screen states that it is EXACTLY THE SAME as the base account

"Some banks require that you (or their support center) enable your account for "third party access". Has that been done?"

UNSTATED 

"If you haven't done so already, I'd say it's time to chat with Quicken Support or call them on the phone and request help. They can look at a log file on your system and determine the exact cause of the problem"

Spent 30 minutes on Quicken Chat this morning and he NEVER offered to download the log file.  Told me to call TIAA which told me to call Quicken. 

• Resolved - talked to a knowledgable rep at TIAA Cref Brokerage who told me to go to the Accounts section and view the brokerage account, then click on Holdings and then Projected Cash. Simple, right? He said that would activate the quicken link to their brokerage, and it did! 
This discussion has been closed.