Difference between Quicken Bill Pay and Bank Bill pay vis-a-vis Quicken Connected Services

(This is NOT about a suspicious email from Quicken and the moderator apparently didn't read the content of my post.)

I was warned my Quicken online services would expire 4/30/19.  I have always used payment services in Quicken through my bank, PNC.  As much as I think Quicken is great & have used it since 1997, I am troubled by their (intentional?) lack of clarity in some areas.  Specifically if Quicken disconnects whatever they mean by online services, will I lose the ability to pay my bills and download data through & from PNC.

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited January 26
    Hello Michael,

I apologize for any confusion that this has caused.

When Quicken 2016 is discontinued on April 30, 2019.

You will no longer be able to pay your bills or download data from PNC.

Downloading transactions, bill payments, anything that would be done online will no longer work after the product has been discontinued.

Hope this has answered your question.

-Quicken Tyka
  • edited January 26
    I think it does.  As in the past, Quicken will disable my ability to communicate with my bank through Quicken whether I use Quicken Bill Pay or PNC Bill Pay.  Right?  (It's the distinction between the 2 bill pays and how they are supported that is confusing).
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator
    edited January 26
    Hello Michael,

Quicken Bill Pay and Bill Pay through PNC will no longer work after a product has been discontinued. 

There won't be any online services provided for a discontinued product.

Both types of Bill Pay require online services to send bill pay payments.

-Quicken Tyka
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited January 26

I think it does.  As in the past, Quicken will disable my ability to communicate with my bank through Quicken whether I use Quicken Bill Pay or PNC Bill Pay.  Right?  (It's the distinction between the 2 bill pays and how they are supported that is confusing).

Your usage of the PNC bill pay system will be strictly via the PNC website.  Controlling it via Quicken will cease to function after 4/30/2019.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• edited January 26

Got it.  Thanks.
  • Greg BrownGreg Brown Member
    edited January 27
    I also received the same email but I've been on QH&B 2017...
    edited January 27

@Greg Brown  If you are truly using Quicken 2017, you got the email in error since 2017 is supported until 4/30/2020.

edited January 27

That's what I thought.
    edited January 27

You aren't using Canadian Quicken are you?  They started on the subscription with QW2017 and that would make a difference with the expiration date.

edited January 27

Nope QH&B 2017 USA. I got it from Quicken for paticipating in Beta Testing during 2016 I think.
  • I understand that if I do not upgrade I will lose the online connection to my bank, but to be clear, If I do sign up to the new Quicken Subscription model, will I be able to continue to communicate with my bank? I am currently on Quicken 2016 Deluxe.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    @nemadden Yes renewing to Quicken Deluxe Subscription will allow you to continue as you do now, plus continue to receive bug fixes and enhancements.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1809
  • I'm not sure @nemadden and @GeoffG communicated clearly with each other in the two above messages.

@nemadden , do you mean, "If I do sign up to the new Quicken Subscription model, will I be able to continue to communicate with my bank USING MY CURRENT QUICKEN 2016 DELUXE VERSION" or do you mean, "If I do sign up to the new Quicken Subscription model, will I be able to continue to communicate with my bank USING THE LATEST QUICKEN 2019 DELUXE VERSION?"

nemadden, as I understand it (and @GeoffG please correct me if needed) once the Quicken 2016 Deluxe expires it can no longer be used to communicate with your bank, even if you sign up to the new Quicken Subscription model. You need to both sign up to the new subscription model and also upgrade to the current support version of Quicken, that being Quicken 2019. (Technically Quicken 2017 or 2018 could also be used, but if upgrading might as well upgrade to the current 2019.)
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    @JayBugs The question is if the user needs to upgrade to Quicken Subscription to continue with online access. Quicken 2016 will sunset in April 2019. The subscription model referenced is the change in software version.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1809
This discussion has been closed.