going from 2016 to 2019 version

my 2016 version will expire. i purchased a 2019 version but have not installed it yet. does the new one have a bank register like the older version. if i install 2019 and not like it , can i re install my 2016 version and will the 2016 be able to read the 2019 files so I can use the old one manually with download capabilities.

Comments

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    2019 Registers will look exactly like what you have now. If you decide to stay with 2016, you will be able to revert back without issue. Be aware that when your 2016 version expires, you will only be able to maintain it manually.  No online banking or investments.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • martinmartin Member
    edited January 26
    thanks,  moving forward if I stop updating the subscription after one year can I still use the software manually without the online banking downloads etc,?

• martinmartin Member
    edited January 26
    i forgot to ask .  can I use my new program on a pc and laptop simultaneously?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    martin said:

No. No sharing data files between simultaneous users. Quicken is not designed for that.
    But you can take a (careful) look at a new feature, Quicken on the Web. It's not a full fledged Quicken implementation, but merely a companion app to the Quicken software on a desktop or laptop computer.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-web-frequently-asked-questions

To go between computers, but never simultaneously, backup data file on desktop to USB stick. Stop using Quicken on desktop.
    Restore backup file to laptop.
    Use Quicken on laptop only, e.g., while away on vacation.
    Upon return, backup to USB on laptop.
    Restore Quicken backup file to desktop replacing old copy. Stop using Quicken on laptop.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-move-my-quicken-data-file-one-computer-another

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26
    martin said:

thanks,  moving forward if I stop updating the subscription after one year can I still use the software manually without the online banking downloads etc,?

Yes, unless you use the Starter Edition which goes "Read Only" after subscription expires.
  • bmciancebmciance SuperUser
    edited January 26
    martin said:

While it is true that you can use it manually, just be aware that you will lose 25% of the screen at the right if you don't renew.  This is referred to as the renewal nag space.
  • martinmartin Member
    edited January 26
    martin said:

thanks great idea
  • martinmartin Member
    edited January 26
    martin said:

thanks
    if i do not like i will reinstall the 2016 version and use it manually.  getting too old to switch to "new program" to do my banking.  I have been using this banking program since it began  maybe 20 to 30 years ago.  so long that i cannot remember not using it,
  • AnnieAnnie Member
    bmciance said:
    While it is true that you can use it manually, just be aware that you will lose 25% of the screen at the right if you don't renew.  This is referred to as the renewal nag space.
    What is this about?  I got the 2019 version only because the 2016 screen was so poorly designed graphically that it was a pain to use. I don't use the online stuff anyway, so would not "renew" so-called membership.  I just want to continue to use Quicken on my computer as I always have. I do NOT want reminders and sales pitches, period. So this may be wasted money if I end up going with a different program. Considered it, but assured that I would be able to continue using Quicken 2019, just unable to download stuff, which is fine with me. What gives? Hope somebody can explain this.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Seems there are two Quicken camps.  Those that use the online functionality to download transactions and auto reconcile at the very least. To those who prefer to input everything manually and manually reconcile to statements. Perhaps Quicken Inc. should offer two stand alone versions.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    @Annie said: 

I got the 2019 version only because the 2016 screen was so poorly designed graphically that it was a pain to use.

Really???  Many of us think the 2016 graphical screen design is superior to 2019.  I am curious.  What is it specifically you think is better?

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7