Wells Fargo Recommends New Quicken File

For the past several weeks, I've been intermittently experiencing 301-A errors downloading my Wells Fargo (WF) data using Direct Connect in Quicken 2019. WF first-level support recommended deactivating my WF account in Quicken, visiting https://wellsfargo.com/fmssetup, and then reactivating the account. This did not resolve my intermittent problems. WF second-level support is now recommending creating a new Quicken file (I have data dating back to 1989). Before I take this step (to which I am not looking forward -  it seems like a lot of work), I'd appreciate your thoughts. Does creating a new data file seems like a good idea to resolve 301-A errors? Are any of you using decades of WF data as I am? Thank you!

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    edited January 27
    I would only replace my file as a last resort.  You could make a new test file and see if you can get the account downloading in it to see if it is your file or possibly something else.

You could also create a new account in the current file and if that works, you could copy all of the history from the original account to the new, replacement account and then delete the old account.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser
    edited January 26
    splasher said:

I would only replace my file as a last resort.  You could make a new test file and see if you can get the account downloading in it to see if it is your file or possibly something else.

You could also create a new account in the current file and if that works, you could copy all of the history from the original account to the new, replacement account and then delete the old account.

Agree with splasher - creating a new file is absolutely a last resort measure.

I would try the option of test running a new account - say start it effective 1/1/2019. See how this goes for a while.
    You still have all of your data in one file - a "split" account would be a minor inconvenience compared to not having your historic data readily available.
    Recombining the accounts is a simple exercise should you want to do it in the future.

FWIW, I too bank with WF - my accounts go back to early 2008. My checking account has just over 5000 transactions. Downloading, using Direct Connect, has been essentially  flawless.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription User
  • EllisGJEllisGJ Member
    edited January 27
    splasher said:

JM, thanks for your reply. Follow-up question: do you change your Wells Fargo password periodically? If you do, do you go through the deactivate/FMSSETUP/reactivate process each time? I had never done that before and was surprised to hear Wells Fargo support tell me that it's necessary. Thanks again.
  • J_MikeJ_Mike SuperUser
    edited January 27
    splasher said:

@EllisGJ

It has been a while since I changed passwords and do not recall exactly the steps I have used. Looking at the website, I guess I would follow the prompts under My Profile. Not familiar with the term "FMSSETUP".

Do recall locking myself out of WF access on one "fumble-fingered" attempt to change password - had to call WF support to get back in.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription User
This discussion has been closed.