I just purchased Quicken and do not understand it. Had 2007 edition. Need to with someone.

Quicken for Mac 2018 edition. Only use for entering items from checkbook. How do you get Reports for individual catagories like Medical, Prescriptions, etc? I erased all previous years when exporting from old computer. How do I get the the correct balance for 2018 entries already posted?

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Hello Barbara,

Are you wanting to enter a starting balance for 2018 or were you needing the transactions for 2018?

Prior to running a report, the transactions will need to be entered to run a report on them.

I would take a look at the tutorial videos we have available at https://www.youtube.com/user/Quicken to get started.

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Barbara WeissBarbara Weiss Member
    edited January 27
    I want to enter a starting balance for 2018.
    I would like to know where I enter the transactions so I can run the report.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27
    Barbara, if I understand correctly, you're asking how to get a report of your 2018 transactions by category? If so...
    • On the Reports menu, select "New Report"
    • Select Transaction Report
    • Select Subtotal by Category
    • Click Create Report
    • By default, the report will show this year's transactions, which isn't what you want, so click Customize
    • to the right of where it says Date Range", click and pull down the menu currently showing "Year to Date" and select "Last Year".
    • Click OK
    Now you have a report of all your transactions for 2018, sorted and totaled by category.

You can additionally customize this report if you wish. If you just wanted the report to include a few categories related to medical expenses, click Customize again, click on the Categories tab, click the Clear All button at the bottom of the window, and then scrolls through the categories and check only the ones you want to include in this report. You can click the "Save as custom report" checkbox and it will let you name this report whatever you want -- "Medical related expenses, last year" -- for future use.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    edited January 27
    Hello Barabara,

To begin entering transactions.

An account needs to be added.

To add an account, click on the + by accounts.

Choose the account type.

If you would like to download from the bank, find the name of the bank and click continue and sign in using the login for the bank's website.

If not, click OPTIONS and choose to create a manual account.

Once the account has been added, then you can enter transactions using the + (new) at the bottom to create a new transaction.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
    edited January 27

Hello Barabara,

Choose the account type.

If you would like to download from the bank, find the name of the bank and click continue and sign in using the login for the bank's website.

Once the account has been added, then you can enter transactions using the + (new) at the bottom to create a new transaction.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

One quick addendum: most banks do not allow you to download a year's worth of transactions; most common is the past 90 days. So if you need all your transactions from 2018, you may not be able to download them and may need to enter them manually. This isn't a limitation of Quicken; it depends what the bank provides. (To further cloud the waters, some banks allow you to directly download the past 90 days into Quicken, but may allow you to download a file to your desktop for the past year, which could them be imported into Quicken. Again, this varies by financial institution.)
    edited January 27

Hello Barabara,

Choose the account type.

Hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka

Also: if you follow the instructions Tyka provided for creating a new checking account, you can just enter a New Transaction on the last date of the prior year (12/31/2017), called the Payee "Opening Balance", and "deposit" your 2017 ending balance.
    Hello Barbara,

Was any of the information that we provided what you were looking for?

Are you still needing help?

Let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
This discussion has been closed.