What are "transaction entry lists"

I see that if I close an account in Quicken, that the account will no longer display in transaction entry lists.  I'm not sure what that means.  The only thing that I can think of is that when you click on "all transactions" the account will not show anymore in that list.  Is that the only thing that would be affected?

Comments

• UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28
    Well, theoretically, an account marked "Do not show in Transaction entry lists" is not supposed to NOT show, for example, in a register transaction's Category pulldown list so that you can't transfer funds into this account by mistake.
    IIRC, you're using Q 2015, an unsupported version that will get no bug fixes any more.
    Until recently in Q 2019, there has been a long lasting bug that, despite this flag being set, the account name would still be showing in transaction entry lists.*

Where else does this setting have an impact?
    I don't really know. I don't have a list of all the places in Quicken where this flag is used by the programmers. Even when closed or marked hidden, an account and its transactions must still remain accessible in reports and views if required.

* Workaround:
    Rename a closed account from "ABC Checking" to "~ABC Checking". The tilde character ~ sorts last in alphabetically sorted lists and puts the ~account at the bottom of the list, making it less likely to be selected by mistake.
This discussion has been closed.