Email -Alert: Quicken Connected Services Expire April 30, is the "Upgrade now and save 10%" possible

edited January 28 in All things Canadian
Last Friday I received an email from Quicken with the following:

Subject: Alert: Quicken Connected Services Expire April 30

When you purchased your
Quicken 2016 product, it included the ability to use connected services like
downloading your transactions and balances, online bill pay and live support.
As of April 30, 2019, these connected services will expire and be discontinued.
Upgrade now and save 10%.
As a very long time Quicken user (think DOS days), I had specifically bought Quicken 2016 Home & Business to avoid, or at least defer, the new subscription model and huge price increase. I was aware of the April 30, 2019 sunset on this product and the time is approaching when I have a decision to make. 

I haven't followed the Quicken pricing model much over the past few years, so although I don't often click through links, but I hovered over the Upgrade now link first to make sure I understand where it was taking me. All seemed okay so I clicked. 

As promised the page states Upgrade now to get all the latest features. Save 10% with this offer!. The versions for Windows are:
  • Deluxe - Manage your money and save, $49.99/yr $44.99/yr
  • Premier - Maximize your investments, $74.99/yr $67.49/yr
  • Home & Business - Personal and business all in one place, $99.99/yr $89.99/yr
So far so good. I'm currently using Quicken Home & Business 2016 but checking the feature list I think that Premier offers all the features/functionality that I use. Oops, as explained below I'm looking at the US versions. 

But here's the kicker. I checked Plans & Pricing | Quicken Canada and guess what. I get completely different versions and pricing. And no 10% savings. 

What I think is happening is even though Quicken knows I've got the Canadian version they've offered me 10% off the US versions. oops x 

Looking closer I also notice that I'll again need the Canadian Home & Business version evil to because some of the investments functionality I regularly use requires Home & Business, see the Key investment & tax planning features section.

So Quicken, is the offer to Upgrade now and save 10% available to Canadian users?

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28
    Strange pricing....if I go directly to Quicken.com/Canada the regular pricing that shows up is $40 for Starter, $60 forDeluxe & $90 for H&B; not discounted pricing either.

Also note that for investment tracking, all you need is Deluxe. Not sure what investment tracking you need that required H&B.

The very unfortunate thing is that Quicken Canada does not seem to sell the Windows version via any other outlet, unlike in the US, which often sell at a much better price.

That said, since the subscription comes with access to both QWin and QMac, if all you care for is QMac, QMac supports both Canada and US in the SAME product (unlike QWin, which are distinctly 2 different products, at least when it comes to supporting local banks and financial institutions). So you CAN purchase the US version, then simply switch the internal preference from US to CA and you are good to go (in fact you can use it for BOTH the US & CA features simultaneously, for those who might need access to US AND CA FIs/Banks).

So, you may want to add your VOTE to Merge support for importing data from US and CA FIs/Banks for US and CA versions of QWin.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • edited January 28
    Go back to the Quicken Canada page and look at the Key investment & tax planning section. None of the listed differences are specific to business features, yet the Home & Business version is the only one that offers them. Specifically the "Track cost basis and create capital gain/loss reports" feature is an absolute must for tax reporting of your investments. 
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28

Strange pricing....if I go directly to Quicken.com/Canada the regular pricing that shows up is $40 for Starter, $60 forDeluxe & $90 for H&B; not discounted pricing either.

Also note that for investment tracking, all you need is Deluxe. Not sure what investment tracking you need that required H&B.

The very unfortunate thing is that Quicken Canada does not seem to sell the Windows version via any other outlet, unlike in the US, which often sell at a much better price.

That said, since the subscription comes with access to both QWin and QMac, if all you care for is QMac, QMac supports both Canada and US in the SAME product (unlike QWin, which are distinctly 2 different products, at least when it comes to supporting local banks and financial institutions). So you CAN purchase the US version, then simply switch the internal preference from US to CA and you are good to go (in fact you can use it for BOTH the US & CA features simultaneously, for those who might need access to US AND CA FIs/Banks).

So, you may want to add your VOTE to Merge support for importing data from US and CA FIs/Banks for US and CA versions of QWin.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click VOTE at the top of THAT page, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version.

(If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.)

Hi @
    smayer97 (QM2007, CDN user since '92),

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_7/141-4581789-1233647?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keyw...

Quicken 2018 is listed.

Quicken 2019 is not listed.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28

Actually, those listings are VERY misleading. If you look carefully, you will see that the H&B version being sold is labeled "US version", not the CA version. Also, the Premier version is listed but Premier is NOT a version available in CA, so this must also be the US version, even though not listed. Therefore, the listings for the Starter and Deluxe versions I strongly suspect are also US versions, even though they are not labeled.

So caution is strongly advised.

If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(Canadian  user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28

You are correct and note on the Quicken US Website for Windows versions, there is no advantage in buying a 2 year Membership vs a 1 year Membership, because the 1 Year Membership, simply doubles the cost. No Savings for buying a 2 year Membership.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R19.44 & Quicken 2017 HBRP R19.1
  • buyelliottcharternetbuyelliottcharternet Unconfirmed, Member
    Like the original poster I've been using Quicken since Windows 3.1, was frankly waiting to get forced into this "annual pay model" I've seen various griping about. Yeah, it's been nice getting a cheap ride, but hey at the least maintenance programmers have to get paid somehow, so seems inevitable. I got the same April 30 email and following assurances on Quicken.com that any membership would get tacked onto my expiration date went ahead on Feb 5 and ordered from Quicken for $29.99 rather than stalling a couple of months or ordering from another, slightly cheaper online vendor. After all, if anybody was going to feed me the "upgrade" code I was looking for instead of a full download, plus add a year onto April 30 it would be the manufacturer, right? 

No. 

Full reinstall, a couple of seemingly frozen screens, those awful current Windows icons that look to me like a throwback to the bad old days of first graphical user interfaces and my subscription expires one year from day of purchase, not April 30. Okay, the world will not end but to evoke that hackneyed expression, my experience fell well short of "expectations." 

Last thing I did was login to my Quicken account, go to My Account and toggle the "Auto renew" at "whatever price happens to be current." No, you don't get to spend my money without my permission, price unknown. You can earn my loyalty just like any vendor. 
  • edited February 5
    Original poster here. Can the moderators/admins please put this back in the "Quicken Canada" category where is started because it is specifically about the Canadian version of Quicken. Thank you in advance. 
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator ✭✭✭✭
    Original poster here. Can the moderators/admins please put this back in the "Quicken Canada" category where is started because it is specifically about the Canadian version of Quicken. Thank you in advance. 
    Hello @Peculiar_Investor

This post has been re-categorized into "All Things Canadian" category as "Quicken Canada" is a category header and not able to be selected as a category.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Sarah
  • Thanks. It helps because now it shows up the Canada specific RSS feed so I can monitor it.