Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Duplicating an account

I've been using Quicken 2007 for Mac for years. In Quicken 2007, it allows you to save a copy of an account. I use this feature because I like to create a new account each year for my business and it saves all my autofill entries. When I save a copy, it allows me to choose what date range to keep. Since I'm starting new, I save from 12/30/2018 to 12/31/2018 so I only have to delete a few entries to start fresh. I'd like to find a way to do the same with the current version of Quicken but it's not working well. When I duplicated my 2018 account and renamed it 2019, I got a message from Quicken that the file was open already and my data may get corrupted. Is that really the case the way I'm doing it or is there a better to have a fresh account each year with the autofill transactions and categories in tact?

Best Answer

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    First, are you talking about having separate accounts -- the items in the left sidebar of your Quicken window -- for each year within your Quicken data file, or separate data files for each year?

Second, could you elaborate a little on what you're trying to accomplish by separating your data by year? In the olden days of Quicken, some users did this because the data file could get large, or slow, or -- most seriously -- corrupted as it grew. That's not true of the modern Quicken Mac database. And in a number of ways, you create more work for yourself if you're creating separate data files for each year. (Aside from separating the data, you also have to make sure yo keep each older data file updated to the current software, so you'll be able to open an old file when you need to.) So before dispensing any advice on how you could separate your data, it would help to understand what your goal is in doing so. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Thanks for your response jacobs. I want to have separate data files for each year. I do this to simplify my process. I'm really using Quicken like someone would use Quick Books. It's my ledger for income and expenses and by having a separate data file for each year, it makes getting my reports for tax purposes and when tracking my income/expenses easy to do. It may be better for me to specify my dates for my reports rather than separating the data files but having them separate ensures that I don't pull in transactions I don't want in there (i.e. last year's income/expenses in this year's figures.) Since it isn't really a bank account, it also makes it easier to see my bottom line for the current year because my net income doesn't flow to the next year. I start at zero. Does that make sense?
  • Okay, you've convinced me to go the easy route and use one data file for all. Now, the hard part. How do I merge the data files? I have separate data files for the past 26 years. Is there an easy way to do that?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Easy? Well...

The first problem you have is that Quicken 2019 can only read Quicken files back to Quicken 2006. (Some people save said 2005 as well, but that's not definitive.)

It's not clear from your original post whether you still have Quicken 2007 and a Mac to run it on? Do you? And if so, what version of the Mac operating system is it running?

Here's why that question is important. There are actually two versions of Quicken 2007. The original, which was version 16.0, runs on several Mac OS versions up to and including Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6). If you have an older Mac running Snow Leopard and the original Quicken 2007, you're in luck. That version of Quicken 2007 can read many prior years of Quicken data files. I'm not sure it will go back as far as 26 years, but it should cover a decent chunk of that time at least.

The problem with that version of Quicken 2007 was that when Apple came out with its next operating system, Lion (Mac OS 10.7), they removed some internal code called Rosetta which enabled old Mac applications, going back to the pre-Intel PowerPC Macs, to run. Quicken depended on that code, so for a number of years, Quicken Mac users were stuck with a dead end of Quicken 2007 or the under-powered first version of a next-generation Quicken, Quicken Essentials for Mac. A Lot of Mac users rejected Essential because it couldn't track investments and do many things Quicken 2007 did. As development beyond Essentials stalled, Intuit in 2012 pulled a rabbit out of a hat and licensed some mysterious code that allowed Quicken 2007 to run on the Lion operating system without Rosetta. This version of Quicken 2007, called "Lion Compatible", carried the version number of 16.1 (and later, 16.2). That updated version of Quicken 2007 runs on every Mac operating system from Lion up to today's Mojave. Sorry for the history lesson if that was too much background, but here's why it's important to you. If you have this 16.1 or 16.2 version of Quicken 2007, it will only read files going back to Quicken 2005; it won't read files last used with Quicken 2004 or earlier.

(This version compatibility issue is one of the reasons I said previously that keeping separate annual files is trickier than it may seem. If you don't open your old files as the software develops over time, you may find you have data files that the software can no longer open.)

So no matter what else you do, you should try to get as many years of your data as possible to open in Quicken 2007. These can still be separate files, but you want any older versions of the database to update to the Quicken 2007 format. and those can, at the least, be individually imported into Quicken 2019, so you maintain your separate files with some or all of your 26 years of history.

Now, for the $64,000 question, I'm going to try to call on one of my fellow Quicken 2007 experts on this forum, @smayer97, to tell you how you can import multiple Quicken 2007 files into a single Quicken 2019 file. I believe he has said there's a way to make this work, but I've never tried it and don't want to give you wrong advice. Stay tuned...
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mdmessing
    mdmessing Member
    edited February 2019
    I am running Quicken 2007 for Mac version 16.2.4 but the good news is I updated all the old data files when I went to that version and they all open in 2007 and are recognized for import by Quicken 2019. I was planning on converting the 2007 files to the latest version of Quicken – I've already converted the last four years – prior to deciding to merge the data files. The first question (and I really appreciate your assistance) is whether I can merge the four years I've already converted to the Quicken 2019 into one data file. I was trying to merge two of them together and didn't see how it would be done. Is there a way to do that or am I better off bringing the files in from the older 2007 versions?

I may not worry about merging all the older files into one new data file. I don't really open the older ones much so I might only go back 5 or 10 years for merging and just convert the old ones to separate Quicken 2019 files.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, let me assure you that merging 2 or more QM2007 data files into QM2019 IS possible, by design. This has been a feature that was added in with QM2015 v2.2.0. released Nov 14, 2016.

"Multiple file import: You can now import more than one 2007 or Quicken Windows file into an existing Quicken Mac 2015 file. (Previously the import option would not be available after the import of the first file.)"

Normally, to import a QM2007 data file, you would select File > New then select "Start with a QM2007 data file". This would create a new QM2019 data file with only the contents of that one QM2007 file.

I am a little rusty but I believe to merge data files, you first open the QM2019 data file. Then you either select File > Import or you select File > Open then go select the QM2007 data file. One of these will trigger the import of the QM2007 data file into the existing and open QM2019 data file, merging the two. 

Note of course, that you will need to clean up/adjust/remove any opening balances that were in the original split files once merged.

The best precaution is to make sure you always have a backup of the QM2019 data file BEFORE you merge a file so that if something goes wrong or does not turn out as expected, you have something to fall back on and go back a step, or two.

Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
    COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)
This discussion has been closed.