My Quicken 2016 won't expire till 4/28/19. Will I lose the 2 months if I activate QD 2019 now?

djsomersdjsomers Member
edited February 22 in Subscription
I'm only upgrading because I have no choice. I really hate that Quicken has gone to having to have a subscription. From what I've read, there's nothing in the upgrade that I want or need but going forward I'll have to pay for it annually. I've bought the 2019 program since it was on sale but don't want to activate it until my 2016 program is ready to expire. I am guessing that once I activate 2019 that the one year subscription starts at that point. Am I correct? 
Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• ps56kps56k SuperUser
    The only part that "expires" is the online features... downloading transactions, quotes, etc - If you are not using any of those features, and do everything manually - the Q2016 program will continue to work just fine.... minus the online capability -
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Thanks. I was afraid this was the answer. I'll wait till the end of April to activate 2019.
  • Thanks, ps56k. I use the program to download transactions for all my accounts so I have to upgrade.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    BTW - you ALWAYS had a subscription, to support all the online downloading features,
    it was for 3 years -  2016 ---> 2019
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • You are correct, in that regard.  You bought the software, and and every three years they would stop supporting that versions ability to download.  The old approach allowed me to control when I would purchase the upgrade and get the best prices possible. 
    It was not uncommon to get a CD in the store just prior or after the new $60 latest version came out for $20.  That is a far better deal at $10 year over the $60 of two years I was just forced to get for 2019 subscription.
    Trick now is that I have two years to find something better than quicken, a tall order for this 20 years fan, but maybe they will produce better software or smarten up about heavy handed approach.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    You are correct, in that regard.  You bought the software, and and every three years they would stop supporting that versions ability to download.  The old approach allowed me to control when I would purchase the upgrade and get the best prices possible. 
    It was not uncommon to get a CD in the store just prior or after the new $60 latest version came out for $20.  That is a far better deal at $10 year over the $60 of two years I was just forced to get for 2019 subscription.
    Trick now is that I have two years to find something better than quicken, a tall order for this 20 years fan, but maybe they will produce better software or smarten up about heavy handed approach.
    We may still purchase Quicken from a retailer at anytime and simply delay when we choose to activate the subscription for up to two years based on when the activation code was generated.  If we already have a subscription, we may add additional time to our subscription by activating the purchased Quicken when there are less then 6 months remaining on the current subscription.  

If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-subscription-membership-faqs

In particular:

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Kind of a bummer of Quicken. It should be from when your subscription expires not when you downloaded it. They are cheating you out of a couple of months.
  • RobertMills.........Good like finding something better than Quicken. I tried several on a trial basis and it was a mess. Countabout was the only program out there (that I could find) that would allow you to import your Quicken data files. I did that and then discovered that Countabout didn't have many of the features that I was familiar with in Quicken and their files were a mess for me. I contacted them about features in Quicken and they stated they didn't have those features and had no plans to implement them. I stayed with Quicken and happy that I did.