Download Payees are wrong with RBC bank accounts

Repeatedly the Royal Bank has downloaded payees (appearing in my register) that are theirs, not mine, typically showing up as  "C-idp Purchase-1387" (only the number changes.)  But Scotiabank still operates the way it should - allowing memorized payees etc.  You cannot Memorize a RBC  PAYEE as a direct result of this. 
Notably they put the business name in the memo field!

Somewhere I read this is a straight up TEXT thing done by the bank..You can open the  QFX file with a text editor and see it... but that doesn't make the bank change what they put in the NAME field! . Can Quicken not work this out with RBC ? Seems like such a simple fix.

Answers

• Dave IngsDave Ings Member
    edited February 3
    I'm also an RBC customer. And while I'm not sure this is going to help you much, FYI I have no problem downloading and memorizing checking, savings and credit card transactions. It all works as you'd expect.

Edit: I should add that I'm running the latest build of Quicken Starter 2019.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Deke_271 said:
    Repeatedly the Royal Bank has downloaded payees (appearing in my register) that are theirs, not mine, typically showing up as  "C-idp Purchase-1387" (only the number changes.)  But Scotiabank still operates the way it should - allowing memorized payees etc.  You cannot Memorize a RBC  PAYEE as a direct result of this. 
    Notably they put the business name in the memo field!

Somewhere I read this is a straight up TEXT thing done by the bank..You can open the  QFX file with a text editor and see it... but that doesn't make the bank change what they put in the NAME field! . Can Quicken not work this out with RBC ? Seems like such a simple fix.
    You are using Quicken for Windows Canadian 2016, aren't you?
    Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your register?
    Manually reviewing and changing Payee Names before accepting a downloaded transaction should allow Quicken to build a proper Renaming Rule based on both Downloaded Payee and Downloaded Memo contents.

You should go both ways ...
    send a complaint / request to RBC bank to put proper Payee Names in the Payee Name field
    and
    report an Online Banking problem to Quicken Support, requesting they research that from their end. If that's a recent problem, RBC could have made a change to their website without notifying Intuit and now the download process is messed up.
  • Deke_271Deke_271 Member

Obviously there is no "fix" apparent in this issue.

---Royal Bank puts C-idp # 220xx"  or whatever their own client vendor code is in the name field. they put "NSLC #2202" or "Atlantic Supers" in the MEMO field. there is no effective way either auto download or manual download, memorize transaction or re-naming rules to defeat this.---

I am puzzled others are not having this problem, in Canada with Quicken Cash Manager, with all updates installed.

How come Bank of Nova Scotia works just fine?

and as an aside, I am a Quicken user for 2 decades now so I have a pretty good lock on how it works.

• williwilli Member
    Does it happen to only relate to debit card transactions?
  • Deke_271Deke_271 Member
    Yes, that is where it seems to be happening.

• williwilli Member
    I have I have that issue as well. I’m sorry I don’t have an answer but this does shed some light on the issue. I just got the best Visa points card and use that exclusively. 😉