Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

Q Mac Attack of the zombie "Bank Messages".

Jeff StearnsJeff Stearns Member ✭✭

Every time Quicken does a direct connect to my bank, it downloads a pile of “Bank Messages".  They’re duplicates duplicates duplicates duplicates duplicates duplicates.

Quicken is collecting an ever-growing amount of “Bank Messages".  Like zombies, these old messages came back from the dead.  And now they're reproducing.  And they can't be killed.

History: A few years ago, I used QMac 2007 to exchange a few messages with my bank (Bank of America).  The bank answered my question; I deleted the messages.  They went away.  Good.

Now that I've upgraded to Quicken 2019, those old messages have come back from the dead.  

Although the Bank of America web site claims that I have no messages, Quicken isn't convinced.  It keeps giving birth to zombie messages.  If I select the Window->"Bank Messages" menu item, Quicken will display hundreds of identical messages.

And every time that Quicken connects to my bank, that list grows longer.

There seem to be three bugs here:

1. Bank of America is sending deleted messages in its OFX stream.  The messages are correctly tagged in the OFX stream with dates from years ago, so they can argue that they're doing nothing wrong, but...
  2. Quicken 2019 doesn't ignore duplicate messages.  Every day, it downloads the same set of messages and thinks that they're all unique, so it adds them to its endlessly-growing list.
  3. Quicken 2019 doesn't know how to delete a bank message.  There's no UI for that.  (Or maybe there is, and it's super-secret.  All we know is that there's no menu item nor mouse action nor keyboard shortcut, nor is it documented.)

Has anybody ever faced this problem?  How did you deal with it?  (Bonus points if your answer doesn't involve sqlite3.  Double bonus points if you know what that means.)

Comments

• Jeff StearnsJeff Stearns Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    If you do happen to look at Quicken's database tables, you'll see that messages are stored in the ZOFXEMAIL table.  There are only a few unique messages in the table, although each is replicated many times.  Each of those copies has identical subject, body, status, source, etc.  Thus every user-visible part of the message is identical.

What's not unique?  Every row in the table has a unique ZGUID, ZDTCREATED, ZCREATIONTIMESTAMP, ZMODIFICATIONTIMESTAMP, and ZQUICKENID (which is close-but-not-equal to the primary key.  Given that these fields (especially ZGUID) aren't present in the OFX, I imagine that Quicken synthesizes them during message download.  And it seems to be synthesizing them in a way that's makes them so unique that no message ever appears to be duplicated.  This is probably relevant to bug #2 above.
  • AdamAdam Member ✭✭
    How would I look at Quicken's database tables, Jeff? Do we have a way to delete the entries in these tables, and if so would that be effective?
  • Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello Adam,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, however, this is an older post and is less likely to get an answer.

I suggest creating a new post for better visibility.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849429/how-to-add-a-post-to-the-community

Be sure to include a description of the issue, along with any error messages, as well as the version/release of Quicken that you're using.

The more information you can provide will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.