Budget balance January and February do not add up to todate balance in one account.

I use quicken premier for windows.  My one account travel balance in January budget is 599, actual is 599 with a balance of zero.  In February the budget is 2295 and actual is 2295 with balance of zero.  The to date balance is -2894 instead of zero.  This is the only account that is having an issue.  I don't even know how to trouble shoot it.  Any help would be appreciated.  R18.15 installed

Answers

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    I suspect you may be including reminders in the budget that haven’t occurred to date: select Budget Actions > View Options
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • Sadly no this did not solve the problem.  This travel account is a sum of 6 other accounts.  And it is the only account in my budget this way.  If I show all the sub accounts and not the total account it works out.  But if I show the main account only the budgeted amounts do no show up.  I guess this is the way I will need to show it.
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    Are you certain there isn't an entry in the parent or any other sub-category?
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    How about you show us the problem as you see it ... the budget view or a budget report and a transaction detail report with all the transactions involved in this process, split details included.
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of the webpage. At the top of the text entry window  you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• From C.D. Bales:

Where you are using the word "account", I'm assuming you should be using the word "category".

" ... if I show the main account only the budgeted amounts do no[t] show up."

Because your budget amounts are assigned to the child categories which you are not displaying. When the budget amounts are assigned to the child categories, the budget amount you see alongside the parent category is computed by Quicken - Quicken adds the budget amounts of the child categories and displays the result as the parent category budget. No child budget amounts; no parent budget amount.

"If I show all the sub accounts and not the total account it works out."

That sounds correct to me, though I'm not sure why you would leave the parent category out of the budget. 

You can include both the parent category (with no budget amount assigned) and its child categories (with budget amounts assigned) - and you should still get correct amounts for each budget row, including the To Date column.

I have attempted to produce a simple example of what I believe you have described. In my test, I do not see the problem you describe.

I created the following two transactions:

01/01/19  A Parent Travel Cat:A Child Travel Cat 1      -599.00

02/04/19  A Parent Travel Cat:A Child Travel Cat 2    -2,295.00

I created a budget for those two child categories and their parent category; with budget amounts equal to the actual amounts assigned to the subcategories. 

The resulting budget is attached.

[When you initiate a discussion, you should include your Quicken year, edition and release (see Help > About Quicken). Example: Q2019 Deluxe R16.14.]

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Thank you all for your help.  What I was not understanding was that the child categories needed to have the budgetedpp amounts in them not just the parent account.  I also incorrectly assumed that if I showed the parent category and the child categories that things would double up.  You are all best for taking your time to help me out!
  • Lotty said:
    Thank you all for your help.  What I was not understanding was that the child categories needed to have the budgetedpp amounts in them not just the parent account.  I also incorrectly assumed that if I showed the parent category and the child categories that things would double up.  You are all best for taking your time to help me out!
    You should NEVER put in amounts in parent categories.  You should only put them in the sub-categories and let the totals show in the parent categories.  When you enter a transaction never use the parent category, if you need to add another sub-category do that or create a miscellaneous for the parent category.  For example, if AUTO is a parent category you would set up an AUTO:Miscellaneous sub-category.