New Computer, how to migrate from Quicken 1999 to 2019

I have been using Quicken 1999 since 1999...the latest computer was a windows 7 machine.  I have just upgraded to a windows 10 machine without a CD drive (although I could use an external). What is my best option as far as continuing with Quicken is concerned?  All I use it for is writing checks and end of year tax records.  Should I try to download the 1999 version on the WIN 10 machine (I also have the 2007 basic version but have never installed it). Or should I just go with the latest payed version....Can I assume that my old data will work?  What would you guys do in this situation?

Comments

• Hello Gsrider,

To convert the 1999 data it will need to be converted to the 2004 data that can't be installed on the Windows 10 OS.

That would then need to be converted to the 2013 version that can be installed on the Windows 10.

To do so, you would need 2 computers, one on Windows 7 and the second on Windows 10.

After the conversion, if it works it's recommended that it only be used for reference purposes.

Hopefully, that gives some insight as to how you would like to proceed.

-Quicken Tyka

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    Q-Tyka forgot to give you the link to the article providing the 2004 & 2013 versions:

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• A couple of questions...

How do you convert the 1999 data to 2004 data and then to 2013 data? 

Then how would you install the 2013 data on the Win 10 machine...do I have to buy both versions.... 2004 and 2013 to accomplish this? 

So the 2013 version can be installed on the Win 10 machine?  Can that be done online or with a CD?

Thanks for your response...
  • Indeed, I did forget! Thank you Splasher!

Gsrider, the links to both 2004 and the 2013 program can be downloaded and installed from the link above! No purchasing required. 

-Quicken Tyka
    gsrider said:
    A couple of questions...

How do you convert the 1999 data to 2004 data and then to 2013 data? 

Then how would you install the 2013 data on the Win 10 machine...do I have to buy both versions.... 2004 and 2013 to accomplish this? 

So the 2013 version can be installed on the Win 10 machine?  Can that be done online or with a CD?

Thanks for your response...
    You use the versions supplied in the link I provided earlier.

• Thank you for the links....I appreciate it...in the link it states:

If you convert from any Quicken for Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues; unfortunately, if you choose to do this, we will be unable to help you with any conversion issues.  We can only help with conversions from 2010 or later versions of Quicken.  

Since I will be starting with 1999 data, what kind of problems might I anticipate?
    That is standard CYA on Quicken's part since they don't support the older programs anymore.  They are just making sure that you understand you are working without a net.
    What problems if any are not predictable, since it depends on how corruption free your data file is.  Just make sure that you have a list of the accounts and their current balances to confirm the validity of the conversion.

• OK Thank you...the conversion to 2004 went well except for the fact that the download filled my desktop up with all of the components of the Quicken folder....
  • The 2013 conversion went fine...is it now OK to install Q 2013 on the new computer from this site and backup the 2013 data to the new computer?
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    gsrider said:
    The 2013 conversion went fine...is it now OK to install Q 2013 on the new computer from this site and backup the 2013 data to the new computer?
    Is that a typo in your response?
    If you installed Q 2013 on your old computer and performed the file conversion, too, then yes, it's OK to install Q 2019 on the new computer and backup/restore all your 2013 data files.
    Do be sure to restore your data files to the folder \Documents\Quicken.
    You do NOT want to clutter up your Desktop with Quicken files and folders.
    If you had a successful conversion to 2013 on the old computer, you do NOT need to install it on the new computer, go directly to subscription Quicken (2018+) and convert 2013 to it.

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser
    BTW, unless there are features in QW2019 you really want/need, you can also continue to use QW2013 on the new computer. Just sayin'....
    If you find this reply helpful, please be sure to click "Like", so others will know, thanks.

(QM2007, Canadian user since '92)
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:
  • Thanks that's what I was thinking...thanks for all the help folks.  I really appreciate it..

I loaded 2013 on the new computer because, like I said before, all I use it for is writing checks and EOY P&L and I really dont need all the bells and whistles.

One problem:
    All of my data and transactions are in the register and all of my categories and payees are there but when I try to bring up a previously saved report Quicken says it cant find any transactions to include in the report so no report comes up... in 1999 it was very easy to create a new report but 2013 is much more complicated...any thoughts on why this might be?  Remember that I started with 1999 data.  

Thanks again....

• gsrider said:
    All of my data and transactions are in the register and all of my categories and payees are there but when I try to bring up a previously saved report Quicken says it cant find any transactions to include in the report so no report comes up... in 1999 it was very easy to create a new report but 2013 is much more complicated...any thoughts on why this might be?  Remember that I started with 1999 data.  
    Saved reports are specific to the Quicken database structure at the time you save them; they look for specific pieces of data at certain offsets in the database.  When the database structure is changed (which happened several times between 1999 and 2013) then the data at those saved positions in the database may be different, and if so the reports will no longer work work as intended.

Unfortunately, given the length of time from when you saved those reports, I think your best option will be to delete them and recreate them from scratch.  If you're finding the report creation in Q2013 much more complicated and need some help, start a new thread with your specific questions and I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to guide you.
    Currently using US Quicken Deluxe for Windows 2019 R18.15 on Windows 10 v1809
  • Thanks for your response...as far as the reports are concerned I figured out what I was doing wrong and I am now able to re-create the reports....I may have another question or two later on...
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    gsrider said:
    I figured out what I was doing wrong and I am now able to re-create the reports....
    Please share your findings with us. We'd like to know so we (and others) can avoid falling into the same hole.
    Thanks.