Eliminating Importing IRA Transactions Manually

There are numerous financial institutions that do not export to a consumable Quicken type of file.  The transaction have to be copied or downloaded to a spreadsheet.  Than each transaction has to be manually entered into the IRA account.  It is quite apparent that the information for the transaction is stored in a manner that can be imported quite easily.  Using fields like: 
Stock/Fund Symbol, Date of Transaction, Type of Transaction, Total for the Transaction and Number of Shares impacted.
Tagged:

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser
    Not sure what you are suggesting.  Quicken can not make a financial institution support exporting of information to Quicken.  There is the QIF file import process that you could use, it takes a little work to prep the file, but manually typing in the transactions is eliminated.
    See this thread on how to prep a QIF file: Edit QIF -manually

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    If you haven’t already, you may want to review: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com
    Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • David said:
    There are numerous financial institutions that do not export to a consumable Quicken type of file.  The transaction have to be copied or downloaded to a spreadsheet.  Than each transaction has to be manually entered into the IRA account.  It is quite apparent that the information for the transaction is stored in a manner that can be imported quite easily.  Using fields like: 
    Stock/Fund Symbol, Date of Transaction, Type of Transaction, Total for the Transaction and Number of Shares impacted.

Hi David,

We appreciate your taking the time to share this suggestion with the Community. That is correct, there are many Financial Institution's that do not support account and transaction downloads to Quicken.

Unfortunately, each Financial Institution has the option to decide what third party products or applications they wish to support and as much as we wish otherwise, not all Institution's choose to support Quicken, we apologize.

If you would like to see your bank supported in Quicken in the future, we recommend submitting a request directly with the Financial Institution to ask that they add support for Quicken to their list of services.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are any further questions the Community may assist with.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Sarah,

While that would be ideal, it is not really feasible.  There is quite a bit of work on the financial institutions' to make this happen.  Because Quicken is a consumer product, why wouldn't Quicken make it easier on the consumer?  I would think this would be an easier solution to fix on Quicken's end.  Like I mentioned in my original post, it seems quite apparent their is some sort of database in the backend to store all the information.  If the consumer were provided an opportunity to import transactions through an import function, it would make Quicken much more consumer friendly.  Quicken has quite a bit of competition.  i would think something like this would be a big PLUS for Quicken.

David
  • Sherlock,

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately this is not an option for me.  I am running Quicken for Mac.  I know this is the QFW idea area, I couldn't find a QFM idea area.

David
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser
    David said:
    Sherlock,

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately this is not an option for me.  I am running Quicken for Mac.  I know this is the QFW idea area, I couldn't find a QFM idea area.

David
    It would have been helpful if you had said so in your original post or indicated the version of Quicken you were using in your profile.  The Quicken for Windows and Quicken for Mac categories mirror each other.

Quicken user since 1997 
    Premier on Windows 7 
  • splashersplasher SuperUser
    Now that you have admitted that you are a Quicken for Mac user, all of our suggestions go out the window.  QM has to be separately supported by the financial institution and evidently they don't think that there is a large enough Mac user base to support them.
    So, we're back to the original advice of complaining to the FI, they are in the drivers seat on this issue, Quicken CAN NOT make they support the downloads and you, as a their consumer, can take your money elsewhere, making sure that they know why.
    Your other choice is trying to find a replacement for Quicken that you feel does a better job.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  QW2016, 2017 & Subscription  -  Win7/Win10
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list