Can I delete data that was my wife's old account

My wife had a separate bank account and I used Quicken to manage it.  She hasn't had that account in 4-5 years.  Can I delete that data from my computer?

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Yes you can delete the account, but any transfer transactions to another account will become unspecified. An alternative is to use Hide Account.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1803
  • Her old account is not even showing in my current Quicken so the "Hide Account" is not available.
  • Is her account in a separate Quicken data file?
    Quicken 2017 H&B
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    OR, is it already "Hidden"?
    Because, if it's not in your Q data file ... what is there to delete???
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Currently not hidden but I see files dating back to 2012.
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    Your terminology may be confusing us.  A Quicken data file holds multiple accounts, checking, savings, credit card(s), investment, loans and others (such as an asset account for your house, or car).
    SO, are you seeing multiple accounts in a single Q data file ... or are you seeing multiple FILES going back to 2012?

But, again, if the info isn't in your current Q data file ... what is there to delete?
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • I had named my files with my wife's first name and those are the ones I was asking to delete.
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    If you're certain you won't need them, delete away. You can also check if they are in the Backup folder, in case you change your mind.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1803