Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Quicken updated itself and lost my vault passwords

On startup, Quicken updated itself and now my vault password does not work, cannot access the stored password or reset it because... vault is locked due to my password does not work.  How can I reset or get a new password WITHOUT losing my vault info?

Pete B

Best Answer

• Pete B
    Pete B Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Regarding splasher's reply:, it seems to me it is not very smart to disable all the passwords when doing an update while also preventing the user from being able to reset his password.  When I asked Q to reset my password, I received an email that said my password was reset, and provided a button that did nothing except take me back to the Q website, where I was not enabled to set a new password because, as I said at the outset, my vault was locked which was the cause of the problem to begin with.

I do backups every time I use Quicken, so I will try restoring from a recent bacjup, see what happens.

Pete B.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    If your Password Vault password does not work, the only choices are to restore a Backup (hopefully the password is not broken doing that) OR delete the Password Vault and rebuild it from scratch.
    Quicken very smartly provides no way to break into the vault, thus ensuring its security.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    To keep patches from automatically applying themselves, you can set Windows User Access Control to prompt you when a program wants to make a change to your computer. You can then decide if you want to apply the patch or not. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Pete B
    Pete B Member ✭✭

I know all that, I did so by always starting with an administrative permission dialog, but when Quicken asks to do an update, it fails to tell me that doing the update will cause all my passwords to be lost causing my vault to freeze up when I try to log in to the vault.

Pete B

• Pete B
    Pete B Member ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Regarding splasher's reply:, it seems to me it is not very smart to disable all the passwords when doing an update while also preventing the user from being able to reset his password.  When I asked Q to reset my password, I received an email that said my password was reset, and provided a button that did nothing except take me back to the Q website, where I was not enabled to set a new password because, as I said at the outset, my vault was locked which was the cause of the problem to begin with.

I do backups every time I use Quicken, so I will try restoring from a recent bacjup, see what happens.

Pete B.

• Pete B
    Pete B Member ✭✭

I tried restoring a backup from a few days earlier, that worked.  I was able to access the vault, reset passwords etc.  Thanks splasher for the suggestion.

Problenm solved, nothing was lost...

Pete B

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    As you have found, backups are like friends, make lots of them.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Pete B said:

Pete B.

Corrupting the Password Vault was not supposed to happen, so something went wrong in your case.  I luckily have never run into this issue.
  • Pete B
    Pete B Member ✭✭

Yes, I wonder about that.  Who knows?  Anyway, problem is resolved.  Thanl the spirits for backups...

:=)

Pete B

This discussion has been closed.