Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Memorized Payees?

I recently purchased a Quicken subscription for my Mac from Sams.  I have several transactions I download which are uncategorized or categorized incorrectly.  I can manually change the categories, but would like like Quicken to memorize these for future transactions.  FWIW - I'm not talking about correctly guessing what I purchase at Wal-Mart, but Quicken knowing that my children's daycare should be "Babysitting and Daycare".

Answers

• lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For something like the daycare payments - which I assume occur at regular intervals - set up a scheduled transaction for that same interval. While perhaps not the perfect solution for all situations, it can serve you well.

For random one-off transactions, enter the transactions from your receipts as the purchases are made. Not only do the Payee and Category get set correctly, but you can add a Memo for future reference, and even might catch an incorrect charge if the amount on the receipt does not match the amount on the downloaded transaction. 

The good news is that Quicken Development has dropped hints that they are working on renaming rules and memorized transactions, which should address your issue directly.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Mojave 10.14.6
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    At this time, Quicken for Mac 2019 does not have a Memorized Payee list where you can always force certain payees to use certain categories, formatting, memos, etc.

The program will attempt to use logic based on how you have changed the category or renamed the payee in the past. But that is more of a "hint" than anything else. 

How consistently that works depends on how much the category varies, and how consistent the payee each time it is presented from the bank. For something like your daycare example-if they (merchant) always presents the same payee, then the program shouldn't have a problem auto-categorizing it as "Babysitting and Daycare" each time.
  • Any idea when Quicken will make this update? This drives me bananas on a daily basis, but it's particularly irritating when it's time to do taxes and I have to spend a good portion of time double-checking that categories are properly assigned for tax reports. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser, Mac Beta, Canada Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is rare that Quicken discusses future plans but even when they do they never discuss timing, other than maybe saying soon (unless it is a quick fix issue, where they might say they are aiming for the next release, but these are for small fixes).
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs (links now fixed):COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen?
    Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• ken deemer
    ken deemer Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Has this gotten worse?? I spend more than 90% of my time in Quicken just assigning the correct category to transactions, often to payees who have been the same for more than a decade! I'm almost surprised if ANY downloaded transactions are correctly categorized! It's to the point that it is barely worth it to use the program at all.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has this gotten worse?? I spend more than 90% of my time in Quicken just assigning the correct category to transactions, often to payees who have been the same for more than a decade! I'm almost surprised if ANY downloaded transactions are correctly categorized! It's to the point that it is barely worth it to use the program at all.
    Have you tried the suggestion by @lhossus to record a manual transaction with correct Payee Name and Category before downloading from the bank? This should make Quicken match the downloaded transaction to the one you entered and, hopefully, remember this for the next time the same Payee Name comes along. If you get an apparent duplicate transaction after downloading, drag and drop the downloaded transaction over the manual transaction to effect the match.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Not that it helps now, but there have been a few hints the developers are working on this; no clue of what will emerge, or when.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Randy Chevrier
    Randy Chevrier Mac Beta Beta
    As a new QMAC 2019 user, moving from QMAC 2007, this is a frustrating issue for me as well. QMAC 2007 required a manual download of individual accounts and those downloads didn't modify your register until you reviewed each downloaded entry. QMAC 2019 just seems to run roughshod through every register dropping all its downloads whether or not you want them. 

That said (getting off my soapbox) I have set up a Transaction Report with only Uncategorized transactions. I can run this report on a regular basis and correct any I find. If you set this up by rows being Accounts and set time to last 12 months, you get the entries organized by account and don't get all the opening balances that are set to Uncategorized. (While I appreciate not allowing unbalanced transactions, requiring a "category" for a beginning balance and making that "uncategorized" is confusing to me. But I'm an accountant... debits and credits have to equal so NOTHING is uncategorized. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.