how to recover account (Q Mac 2007)

I deleted one of my checking account by mistake, how can I recover it ?
Quicken 2007 16.2.4
Mac OS 10.12.6

Best Answer

Answers

• lhossuslhossus SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    I assume you have backups? 

Just open the most recent backup made before the account deletion. Then re-enter any changes since the backup was taken.

Or is there more to this story?
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • liselise Member
    When I open the backup folder everything is grey ..I cannot open 
    Not sure what to do ..

There are two kinds of backups that you might use in this situation:
    • Quicken 2007 is capable of making backups of the Quicken data file when you quit Quicken. It can also make a backup with the File > Backup to Disk... command.
    • Time Machine, Retrospect, cloning, or other general file backup systems.
    Which kind of backup are you having trouble with? You said "backup folder", but that is not very specific.

Now, if you are just going to restore from a Quicken backup, I would suggest the following:
    1. File > Save a Copy... - to be sure if all else goes wrong, you have your current data file saved safely on the side.
    2. Determine where the backups are stored.*
    3. File > Restore from Disk...
    * To Determine where the backups are stored:

Locating Quicken 2007's backups is a bit of a bother as Quicken does not automatically find them when using Restore from Disk... So, we ...
    1. Go to Quicken 2007 > Preferences...
    2. Select File Backup in the left sidebar of the Preferences panel.
    3. Click on Choose... at the right of the line Quicken Backup Folder.
    4. Make a note of where Quicken says the backups are stored.
    5. Click Cancel to back out of this dialog, and Click Cancel again to close Preferences.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • liselise Member
    Did all that, my backups are stored in "quicken backup folder" in my documents 
    when I do  #3 File-restore from disk , I see all the files but they are grey cannot select them..
    Also have a back-up on external hard disk , but don't know how to recover from there 
    lise said:
    Did all that, my backups are stored in "quicken backup folder" in my documents - when I do  #3 File-restore from disk , I see all the files but they are grey cannot select them..
    OK. Need to do some investigating (aka, poking around).

Please answer these questions as best you can, and note anything else you see that might be relevant.
    1. In the Finder, go to Documents > Quicken Backup Folder. Select (highlight) the most recent backup file (may be named 1Quicken Data). Press Command-I (get info). Post a screenshot of the Get Info display.
    2. Note the Open with setting. IF (and only if) IT SAYS: Quicken 2007 (default), then go back to the Quicken Backup Folder in the Finder and Open this file (using one of: double-click, or right-click > Open, or Command-O). Does it: a) Open in Quicken; b) Give a specific error?; c) other. Give any details. Screenshots will be helpful.
    lise said:
    Also have a back-up on external hard disk , but don't know how to recover from there 
    With the hard drive on-line, use File > Restore from Disk...

Or you could copy the backup from the external disk to wherever you want it on your main disk, and then use File > Open File...

In fact, you should be able to take one of the backup files in the Quicken Backup Folder on your main disk, copy it using the Finder to wherever you want your Quicken data files, rename it if you like, and then use File > Open File...

Let me know how this goes.
    Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • liselise Member
    Hi !
    Ok I found a back-up on my external hard disk .. copied it on my desktop , when I open it , I could see the account I had deleted ..got excited .
    Now how do I transfer only that account back to my current running Quicken?
    I tried opening current Quicken - File>Open file .. Desktop , then the file I want is grayed out !

• liselise Member
    Yahooooo !!!
    Can't believe it , I am back on track, thank you so much!
    GRRRAAAAATTTTT!

One thing you might want to consider: the links to transfer transactions in other accounts were broken when you deleted the account.

What I am thinking of is things like paying credit card account bills, and making deposits from your checking account to a savings account. And perhaps withdrawals from savings or investment accounts.

I am not sure how transfers were handled when the transactions were restored during the QIF Import. You should check your other accounts for duplicate transactions.

Quicken Mac Subscription
    macOS Sierra 10.12.6
  • liselise Member
    Nope... no duplicate transactions.
    Now..if only I could resolve the OL-221 error when I download business accounts.
    When I go to Royal Bank canada online ,I download transactions from credit card ,personal and business bank account ,but Quicken won't accept the downloads from my business accounts.