Speed of quicken

The speed of quicken is to be improved. Each transaction takes 30 seconds of time . I have to wait for "Refreshing Quicken data" message for so long. My file size is 120Mb.

Comments

• Actually is is 46 seconds. I timed it. I pressed "Accept" on a matched credit card transaction. finished updating the credit card register and came back after 46.3 seconds.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed?
    What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

To attach the image here, start composing your response. At the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons beginning with B I S
    Click the landscape "Attach image" icon. It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file from your computer. The captured image will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• ESKrishESKrish Member
    edited February 20
    Hi 
    Thanks for the response. I have captured all the information including file size you requested in a spreadsheet. Hope you can use it. I have transactions from 2009 in this file. I am using quicken from 1992 and I split the file into 2 in 2009. Older transactions are in another file, which is NOT included here. However investment transactions are from 1992.
    Thanks
    Krishnan
  • ESKrishESKrish Member
    edited February 20
    FYI: The file size in Quicken shows as 87010K. But file explorer shows 120,976 Kb
    Answers to other questions is attached.
  • Are you sure you want all your account financial institutions listed here on a public website?
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    edited February 19
    As this is an XLS file and may contain virus or malware, this file should be removed. Please post as image.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • @GeoffG I would assume Vanilla would have anti virus and malware checking on its file attachment process. 
    Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Perhaps... I'm not interested in testing. :#
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 1809
  • ESKrish said:
    Hi 
    Thanks for the response. I have captured all the information including file size you requested in a spreadsheet. Hope you can use it. I have transactions from 2009 in this file. I am using quicken from 1992 and I split the file into 2 in 2009. Older transactions are in another file, which is NOT included here. However investment transactions are from 1992.
    Thanks
    Krishnan
    Hi @[email protected] (Krishnan) ,

One haven't disclosed where the Quicken Data File you are complaining about, is located at, on your computer? Location affects speed of Quicken.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.16 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • Yes. it is on my computer
  • Hi @[email protected] (Krishnan) ,

Do you do maintenance on  your Hard Drives, to make sure that the Hard Drive contains no File Name Linkage issues (File System Errors)?

I use both Glary Utilities from: https://www.glarysoft.com/
    and CCleaner Free from:  https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Glary Utilities checks for File System Errors and CCleaner Free does a better job, cleaning the Windows Registry.

File System Errors and Windows Registry Errors affects speed.

• I will use windows defragmentator once in a while. It is more than a year since I used. I don't want to use third party apps in general unless I buy them from reputed companies

• Hi @ESKrish (Krishnan) ,

Both Glary Utilities and CCleaner Free are free for Personal Use. See the Reviews.

• Right now, both Chkdisk and Defragmentor say that disk is good health and there is no fragmentation

• UKRUKR SuperUser
    As indicated in the File Information view ... are you really tracking over 5,200 separate securities?
    That's a definite speed hog. According to https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file you can have up to 2,000 securities.
    What it does to performance when you exceed this soft limit, I don't know ... but since you're complaining about speed ...

• Actually, it is only tracking about 50 securities. Since I do options, all the old options remain in the securities list. I don't even download any quotes of any securities. I cannot delete them without deleting transactions, which I am not willing to do. May be quicken should keep the securities list separately in a file similar to the QHI file
  • UKRUKR SuperUser
    To whittle down the number of securities you no longer own and move them and their transactions into an archive account within the current data file, please read up on a new function available in Q 2019:
    You can find this text in Quicken Help.
    This is a new function. If you'd like to try it out, please create either a backup of your Quicken data file or create and use a copy of your data file. If the process of archiving transactions fails, the active data file is most likely toast and should not be used for anything any longer.
    The bottom line after creating the archive account should be better performance of the active investment account with less transactions and securities involved.
  • Ok. Thanks for the help. I will try as soon as possible today or tomorrow.
  • Will the transactions be included in reports ?
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    Not if you remove them.  All Q reports are "created on the fly" using the accounts, categories, etc that you specify at the time that you request the report.
    If you want to save a report, either print it or save it as a PDF.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • I tried with one account. The resulting file size has to 200Mb from 120Mb now. I see that the archive acct is created within the account file itself. I will test speed after backing up all 3 active investment accounts.
  • I completed archive all 3 active investment accounts. About 8000 plus transactions are archived within the same account file. Let me try downloading and updating transactions tomorrow or Thursday when I will get new transactions.
    Thanks for the help. Hope I see improvement
  • I downloaded  transactions today and it is like a breeze. less than 1 sec for accepting matched trans. Thanks to UKR and others who helped with this tip to archive accounts. Problem resolved.
  • If you can, please delete the attachments I gave. Thanks