Budget has disappeared - " This Quicken file contains no budgetable amounts or categories "

ScooterlamScooterlam Member ✭✭✭✭
After downloading some banking and investment transactions using OSU,  updating some manual bill reminders, then paying some end of month bills from those reminders, I go into my budget and Quicken tells me that "This Quicken file contains no budgetable amounts or categories.  The budget feature cannot be used at this time."  See image 1.

After staring at the screen in frustration, it took several times to click "ok" to clear the dialog in image 1.   The dialog box reappeared after each click of "ok".  After 2-3 cycles, I got the "create a budget" dialog in image 2.

FYI:  I am not  using / syncing to Quicken Web or Mobile.   This issue seems to have appeared overnight - budgets just fine yesterday.

So...what to do after searching the community for similar issues...

1.  Restarted Quicken QW 2019 HBR R18.15.
2.  Restarted Windows 10 Pro v.1809.  Updated to 1809 last week but no Quicken issues 'til this morning.
3.  Validated the current QDF file.  Results indicated that Quicken fixed one broken category. No other issues. 
4.  After file validation, restarted Quicken/Windows. Nothing so far has cleared the issue.
5.  Did a back up of suspected, corrupted QDF file.
6.  Took screen shots of registers with soon to be lost work....
7.  Restored prior day's backup.
8.  Verified prior day's backup contained budget (it does).
9.  Validated prior day's backup.  Same corrupted category found in #3. Fixed.
10.Proceeding to update lost work....step-wise, checking integrity of budget.  Cannot recreate issue of missing budget.
11.  Established automatic backups after each Quicken session.  Seems like prior forum posts indicate this issue may likely reappear.
12.  Validated new QDF file, no errors.
13.  Make backup.
***EDIT***
14.  Performed another OSU.  Curiously, this error (Image 3) has cropped up again today re: "You need to select accounts to export" in the summary window.  Again, I don't use mobile or web apps.

So, I cannot immediately recreate this issue.  Any others have this issue and were able to restore budget functionality without have to restore a backup?

IMAGE 1

IMAGE 2

**EDIT**
IMAGE 3

Comments

• Scott, I ran into a similar condition. I am running Windows Premier 2019. I finally  went and selected the "Select categories to budget" Remark in the lower left corner of the Budgets View under the Planning Tab , and found that my affected Categories were not check-marked anymore. So I check-marked them and viola, those affected categories reappeared back into my budget. I am hoping that my situation is what has happened to you, So that the same remedy should correct your situation. In my situation, I had to make sure that my budgeted amounts were in the right Category after the reappearance. For I found that the "everything else" subcategory of some of the affected categories were budgeted with the same amount(s).

I think that the disappearance of my categories occurred after updating my Online Billers.
    Now running the 2019 Windows Subscription Plan
    Retired - former Computer System Analyst
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    About the red "You need to select accounts to export" message in OSU Summary ...
    For some reason or other, Quicken wants to download investment account information to investing.quicken.com.
    To get rid of the message, at least for a while, go into OSU Settings. At the bottom of the window is a link to investing.quicken.com. Click it. The next screen will start the setup process. Just cancel or close the window. Back to OSU, just run the OSU and the red message should be gone
    Remember to keep a checkmark at "Show just the last update" in OSU Summary or old error messages may reappear.
  • ScooterlamScooterlam Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    About the red "You need to select accounts to export" message in OSU Summary ...
    For some reason or other, Quicken wants to download investment account information to investing.quicken.com.
    To get rid of the message, at least for a while, go into OSU Settings. At the bottom of the window is a link to investing.quicken.com. Click it. The next screen will start the setup process. Just cancel or close the window. Back to OSU, just run the OSU and the red message should be gone
    Remember to keep a checkmark at "Show just the last update" in OSU Summary or old error messages may reappear.
    Thanks UKR.  That works.  I noticed that the check box you refer too isnt at all persistent in my case.  Seem like it adds the check mark randomly, as I have unchecked (and applied) this numerous times!  

• ScooterlamScooterlam Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22
    Jerry_ said:
    Scott, I ran into a similar condition. I am running Windows Premier 2019. I finally  went and selected the "Select categories to budget" Remark in the lower left corner of the Budgets View under the Planning Tab , and found that my affected Categories were not check-marked anymore. So I check-marked them and viola, those affected categories reappeared back into my budget. I am hoping that my situation is what has happened to you, So that the same remedy should correct your situation. In my situation, I had to make sure that my budgeted amounts were in the right Category after the reappearance. For I found that the "everything else" subcategory of some of the affected categories were budgeted with the same amount(s).

I think that the disappearance of my categories occurred after updating my Online Billers.
    Thanks Jerry,  Will have a look if this happens again.  If I understand you correctly, you basically created a new budget?  Or, did the budgeted amount restore with the selection of the category? Scott
  • pearcynepearcyne Member
    edited March 30
    I am on Quicken 17 Premier and I have been having the "lost budget" issue for over a year now and reported it to Quicken last year and recently on March 1, 2019.  I rely on backups to retrieve working copies of my budget.  This is a MAJOR problem that was introduced after the departure from Intuit.  I am a power user that has been using Quicken for over 25 years.  The budget feature apparently is not being used by enough customers to warrant a fix to this problem.  I have tried all of the recommended fixes such as reloading Quicken 17 Premier, validating my file, and manually rebuilding my budget.  None of these steps have solved the problem!!!!  Clearly, this bug exists in Quicken 17 and future releases.  
  • GuyManDudeGuyManDude Member
    edited March 30
    I have been using Quicken since 1994 so I know what I'm doing. I have been having the randomly disappearing budget issue for about a year now now. Have spent hours with tech support and they are totally clueless. Have done all the tricks such as validation, installing Mondo, turning off mobile, turning off 3rd party backups, etc. The only thing you can do is go back to a Quicken file backup, and then spend all sorts of wasted time re-doing all your transaction work that you did since the last backup. Sometimes the new budget will last a few months, sometimes only a couple of weeks before disappearing. There is no correlation of budget disappearance with anything that I can see. This is a huge problem. What is the point of Quicken if you can't reliably use it to budget your finances?