What purpose does the lightning bolt serve.

What purpose does the lightning bolt (Which represents "Update Now" in Quicken) serve just to the left of the Payee in some of my register transactions

Best Answer

Answers

• TJTJ Member
    Okay thanks. Where could I go in Quicken Help to understand that better?
  • Hi @TJ ,

Quicken Help F1 or click Help, then Quicken Help. Search Lightning Bolt.

But Help leaves a lot to be desired.

In my opinion, Help needs Major Work.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.15 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • From C. D. Bales:

"What purpose does the lightning bolt (Which represents 'Update Now' in Quicken) serve just to the left of the Payee in some of my register transactions?"

The way you have phrased that tends to muddy the waters of comprehension. 

The lightning bolt is part of the Check# field, so it will only appear at all, if the Check# column is selected. And it will appear to the left of some other column, if the Payee column is not selected. Also, even if the Payee column is selected, the lightning bolt will appear to the left of the "Date" column if the Preference to "Show date before check number" is not selected.

And the lightning bolt you're asking about has nothing to do with "Update Now".

As thecreator noted, the lightning bolt is "an indicator" that the transaction containing the lightning bolt is an online billpay transaction.

I think the best information you can get about the lightning bolt is to click it. That will display the "Payment Status as of mm/dd/yy" for that online billpay transaction. And in the lower left of that "Payment Status ...." display is a blue circle with a question mark in the middle: click the blue circle to see what Help has to say.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • TJTJ Member
    edited February 24
    Well it does have something to do with update now, as when you go to Customize Action Bar, and add  'Update Now'  to the action bar you get the exact same icon. Icons usually help you discern something specific in regards to their purpose or meaning. I guess Quicken uses the lightning bolt icon for 2 purposes interchangeably, speaking of "Mudding the Water". I'm just gonna ignore it, and as thecreator commented F1 help is not that helpful. sounds like it has something to do with Direct Connect which my financial institution (pmfcu CU) has never supported. I'm just going to assume I don't need whatever it's purpose is. There's only one with a payee I use once a month and have for 15 years, that's only 1 time out of 180 transactions done the same way every month with a lightning bolt.  Just another small thing that I scratch my head about regarding something in quicken.When I had 2017 version there were 4 ways to update, and I never could figure how one way was different or better than the other 3. So many ("why's) and so little time! Thanks for your response.
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    edited February 25
    The lightning bolt, is an indicator of an Online Payment / Check that you sent using Quicken and a Direct Connect Connection to either your Bank's Bill Pay or Quicken Bill Pay.
    Does it ever get totally cleared -
    or is it a fixed icon indicator of the transaction using online Bill Pay ?
    Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • Hi   @ps56k ,

It is a fixed icon for Online Bill Pay (Checks uploaded using Quicken). Used to be Yellow in old versions of Quicken, but now the color in Gray.

It stays with the transaction, permanently, indicator of Online Check.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R18.15 & Quicken 2017 HBRP
  • From C. D. Bales:

"Does it ever get totally cleared - or is it a fixed icon indicator of the transaction using online Bill Pay ?"

It's permanent. And clicking the lightning bolt always displays the "Payment Status".

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list