Why isn't Quicken updating my manually entered transactions - filename (from HP Pavilion - 21)

I use Quicken for basic purposes.  I manage about 15 or so accounts at work and need to know how much money is in each.  I manually enter transactions from expenditure reports.  Every time I open Quicken it automatically goes to that file, which has [HOME] after the file name when it is open on my screen.  I assume this is the default file - I don't open and close or use other files.  I have all my accounts in this file.  About a month ago I updated a half dozen reports as I usually do.  Today I opened Quicken and it went automatically to the file that it always does (with [HOME] after the file name at the top of my screen) but my entries from last month were not there.  Upon closer inspection under the File>Open Quicken File...  tab I noticed there are over 20 versions of my file, with most having the same date and time stamp (but not all).  Each version had my computer name after the file name along with a number in parentheses.   The file that I automatically opened today was there without any additional names after it (no [HOME] or computer name or number). I assume this is the default file that I always work on.  I opened the file from a month ago (which was the most recent file not including today) that had the file name, my computer name, and the number 21 added to my file name and it contained all of my accounts with the entries and was up to date. Why did this happen?  Now when I start quicken, the file with my computer name and 21 opens automatically and it now seems that it is the default.  But now under the File>Open Quicken File... tab I can see my original default file (without the computer name and without a number) but it is now an outdated file that does not contain my latest entries.  What gives?  Must I now search for the latest file every time I open Quicken and ignore what opens automatically?

Answers

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    [Home] is the screen that you're on ... NOT the file name.  The file name is immediately before the [Home].
    And, if you open Q by clicking on the PROGRAM icon (not a data file icon) it will automatically open to the last file used.
    Lastly, the files most recently used can be found by clicking on the FILE menu command ... they'll be listed at the bottom of that menu.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Upon closer inspection under the File>Open Quicken File...  tab I noticed there are over 20 versions of my file, with most having the same date and time stamp (but not all).  Each version had my computer name after the file name along with a number in parentheses.   .... I opened the file from a month ago (which was the most recent file not including today) that had the file name, my computer name, and the number 21 added to my file name and it contained all of my accounts with the entries and was up to date.
    Hard to understand where or how these multiple files are getting created -
    There should only be a single Q file. 
    What is the complete file name .... ?
    When you are done using Q, how do you exit the program ?
    Do you have Q setup to perform auto-backups ?
    Do you have Q setup to perform manual backups ?
    Can you share a screen shot of your --> File --> Open - list

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In ps56k's graphic, NOTE that at the top of the graphic the file name (QDATAz8) is shown immediately above [Home] ... and at the bottom the same file name is marked with a blue box containing a check mark.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • ps56k - I get a message that I haven't been around long enough to attach a pic. I became a community member today. But it looks something like this:
    filename (from HP Pavilion - 21) 2/22/2019 12:11 PM
    filename 2/22/2019 12:09 PM < this was the default
    filename (from HP Pavilion - 19) 1/9/2019 2:30 PM
    filename (from HP Pavilion - 20) 1/9/2019 2:30 PM
    filename (from HP Pavilion - 5) 1/4/2019 11:28 PM
    filename (from HP Pavilion - 6) 1/4/2019 11:28 PM
    filename (from HP Pavilion - 7) 1/4/2019 11:28 PM
    etc
    etc
    there are about 20 files that look like the last one above but with different numbers after Pavilion - some have same date, some have other dates from when I likely used Quicken to enter other transactions.

My screen looks similar to your screenshot but that's not the issue. My issue is that when I entered transactions a month ago, Quicken saved it as "filename (from HP Pavilion - 21)" not the default. It should have saved it as the default and when I opened it today the default file opened and my transactions should have been there. They were not. I have no idea why I have dozens of files with the filename (from HP Pavilion *).

NotAPCA - I open the program by clicking the program icon not a file. When I click only the File button the most recent files appear but until today none contained the "filename (HP Pavilion *)". One shows up now, of course, because I opened it today. The others under just the File menu are the default and two that I haven't open in over a year. It's almost as if Quicken is creating a temporary files that somehow don't fully save it as the default. I have no idea if this is even possible but I can't explain all the
    just for grins - can you post a complete filename as it appears in your list -
    ala ---->  c:\users\....
  • c:\users\smgra\Documents\My Documents\Quicken\Shaun LBWFR Master Budgets (from HP Pavilion - 21)

And it's a Quicken QDF file.
    WOW - I have never seen file names like that - and can't really guess at how or why they are getting created with that "(from HP Pavilion - 21).qdf" naming ???

edited February 25
    Just wondering if any other weird naming is appearing on your computer ?
    Can't even begin to think of how or where the "numbered" naming of files is coming from, in addition to why the file name has the "(from HP Pavilion - 21).qdf" within the filename - unless you added it to be able to know which computer created the file.
    Again - I've never seen....
    - the addional text and the "()" added to a Windows filename
    - the additional sequencial numbering added to a filename
    Just weird - and a big mystery - having nothing to do with Quicken -

wildlife_biologist said:
    My screen looks similar to your screenshot but that's not the issue. My issue is that when I entered transactions a month ago, Quicken saved it as "filename (from HP Pavilion - 21)" not the default.
    Yeah - but that IS the problem - since it is not normal....there is something happening on your computer that we haven't seen.  Something must have changed, or been changed, or updated, or added, or deleted, or modified, or connected, or installed, or .....
    SO.... ignoring Quicken - is everything else OK on the computer - changed ?