How do I use Quicken on more that one computer without sharing a data file?

Quicken says you can use Quicken on multiple computers, but says not to use Dropbox (or OneDrive, etc.) to share the active data file. How would this be possible?

Answers

• GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    The best method is to backup from the primary PC to Dropbox or other device. From the secondary PC perform a restore. You can create shortcut icons on the toolbar to streamline the access.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1803
  • Thanks, but that seems somewhat overly complicated. So how does the online app know where to find the data if the file is stored locally on the "primary" computer? Should I just use the online app on computers/devices other than the primary computer? And is there a way to integrate my MacBook into this?
  • ps56kps56k SuperUser
    edited February 23
    Just to clarify - Quicken is NOT setup to actually share a data file between computers.  There are a couple of ways to handle various scenarios - depending upon your wishes.
    - Close your Quicken, and copy the data file or backup file to an online cloud service (not Quicken), and then copy down to another computer, open it, use it, and maybe then copy it back.  You are just shuttling the file back and forth.... not sure between PC & Mac.
    - Use a "primary computer" to enable the Quicken Cloud and Sync features.  Then you can display the data on a smartphone or tablet using the Quicken Mobile App.
    - Use a "primary computer" to enable the Quicken Cloud and Sync features.  Then you can display the data using any browser on any computer with Quicken Web Access

Quicken 2019 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • GeoffGGeoffG SuperUser
    Before you get tempted to put your data file on Dropbox, be forewarned that this is known to cause data file corruption. The primary PC is where you data will sync with the mobile/web apps as you should only perform updates from the primary PC. Mac and Windows are two separate formats and not compatible.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Home version 1803
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    edited February 23
    You can also, simply, backup from Computer A to a USB drive and then Restore to Computer B.
    NOTE however, that when you reverse the process (or use Dropbox for the same function) that any input into Computer A after the Backup will be lost when you restore from Computer B. 
    Backups and Restores are "full-file" ... and not incremental.  A restore completely replaces the file of the same name on the target computer.

AND, the file structure for QMac is completely different than that of QWin.  QMac can import a QWin data file (subject to certain conditions) but QWin can't import a QMac file under any conditions.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"
  • Thanks to all for your feedback. I've used Quicken off and on since the 70s, but never on the web. So, if I understand this correctly, the best way for me to access the data file stored locally on my office computer would be to enable the sync function and access the data from my home MacBook by using Quicken on the Web. Backups would be done to Dropbox. ?? 
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser
    " the data from my home MacBook by using Quicken on the Web."  You need to be careful with terminology here.
    "Quicken on the Web" refers to the partial (and ineligible as a backup) file that's used for the QWeb and QMobile functions.
    Backing up to Dropbox is another function entirely.  And, thought I'm not a Mac user, I've read here that you should do a QMac backup to your Mac, compress that file and THEN upload to DropBox.
    I actually consider the easiest method to be simply backing up directly to a USB drive.  Then using that file to restore.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor"