Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

A guaranteed way to crash Quicken for Mac

Hey Folks,

I recently discovered a way to reliably crash Quicken for Mac. First, go into a Brokerage account or any account that can hold securities. Highlight and expand a Buy transaction by double-clicking on it. Now use the keyboard shortcut +Shift+N. Quicken for Mac should immediately crash. I've been doing this over and over again to make sure that it's reproducible. Doesn't matter the particular account or the particular Buy transaction. Works every time.

When you re-open Quicken for Mac, you will be required submit a crash report to Quicken. If you look at the details of the crash report you will see:

Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[InvestmentBuyRegisterEditorFormDetailViewController focusOnSplitAtIndex:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fee2ef11710'

So it looks like Quicken for Mac was attempting to dispatch to a method that the current transaction didn't support--a classic example of a runtime type error--and the generated exception wasn't caught at any point.

It seems like the right thing to do is to disable that shortcut when highlighting a transaction to which the operation cannot apply. (Note that the 'Split Transaction' is not disabled as a menu option either.) 

Discovering this error makes me a bit worried about the quality of error handling and proper state checking/transitioning in the Quicken for Mac application. I'm certain that there are more such errors lurking in the background, waiting for users to trip over them.

Can this be fixed in the next release? Is are there any plans to do a sweep of the code to ensure that proper state checking is performed before an operation is attempted?

Answers