Which subscription to choose for Gain/Loss investment reports? (Canada)

I run Quicken Canada 2016 Home & Business (QWCA2016R7) and now have to upgrade to the subscription model. 

In my current Canadian H&B 2016 version, I never used the Business part and therefore consider going for the Canada subscription "Deluxe" product.

However, the subscription offerings are unclear to me and I certainly do not want to loose any functionality when it comes to investments handling.

Of specific concern to me is that I currently can create a report showing cost basis, gross proceed and realized gain/loss on investments.

The big question: Do I have to buy the Canada subscription "Home & Business" product to have the possibility to prepare realized gain/loss reports or is the "Deluxe" product sufficient?

I use Windows 10 latest version.

Canada Quicken user since 2009. Using QCan-Win-2016.

Best Answer

Answers

• I'm in the same boat and using https://www.quicken.com/canada/compare as the basis for the question. In the Key investment & tax planning features details it indicates that a number of non-business features related to investments may require the Home & Business version.

The big question: Do I have to buy the Canada subscription "Home & Business" product to have the possibility to prepare realized gain/loss reports or is the "Deluxe" product sufficient?

I use Windows 10 latest version.

As Merlin 3310 asks, it seems strange to need the Home * Business version to  
    • Track cost basis and create capital gain/loss reports
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser
    edited March 4
    I have never used the Canadian version, so I have no expertise there. In the US version, the extra "cost basis & gain/loss reports" are extra US tax reports available in Premier but not in Deluxe. However, you can get the same data presented via other reports in Deluxe.

My advice would be to buy Deluxe and see whether it fulfills your needs. If not, you can upgrade for an incremental cost unless Quicken has changed its policy while I wasn't looking.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • I would be quite comfortable to configure the report myself using the quicken functionality. This is what I did in QCA2016. What makes me uncomfortable in the marketing statement:
    • Track cost basis and create capital gain/loss reports
    is the word "Track" which may mean No tracking if you don't have the functionality and consequently no reporting possibilities.

If push comes to shove, I will use your recommendation to get "Deluxe" with possibility to upgrade later on.

Thanks for your information.
  • We used to have a couple of Canadian super-users who could probably answer this off the top of their heads, but I asked around and they don't seem to be currently active on this forum. Sorry I can't provide more info.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS.
    Now using QWin Premier subscription version on Win7 Pro.
  • I also need this same functionality and though Deluxe would be the way to go.  Did either of you find the appropriate subscriprion to buy that gives you the gain/loss reports?
  • I have not yet got an answer. Failing to get one I plan to use Rocket J. Squirrel strategy to to buy Deluxe and see whether it fulfills my needs. If not, I can upgrade for an incremental cost. I will then update this posting with the results. Mind you it would be a good gesture for Quicken to provide such functionality in the Deluxe version or at the very least clarify this situation.

This discussion has been closed.