Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Reconciliation Nightmare

Hey y'all. Keep me from going insane. I've recently started over with a new Quicken file on Quicken Mac 2019.

I have a reconciled checking account using the online balance. Whenever I add a transaction that has not yet cleared, such as an old school check I wrote, Quicken increased the opening adjusting balance to make the balance align with the online balance. It's an uncleared transaction I am manually entering, I don';t WANT it to adjust my balances - I jsut want it to reconcile when the matching transaction hits.

What am I doing wrong? What am I not grasping?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    It's a feature, not a flaw  :)

That opening balance adjustment acts like a placeholder: it auto adjusts if you enter in transactions before the last transaction when the account was first setup for online activity. Newer transactions won't affect the starting balance.

This behavior is so users can add in older transactions without it mucking up the ending balance. (Obviously, this only makes sense for cleared transactions.)

If you don't want that auto-magic behavior, you can recreate that opening balance exactly like it is with a new, identical transaction. Save, and then, delete the one Quicken had created. This will make the adjustment a plain ol' static transaction that won't adjust.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Accepted Answer
    It's a feature, not a flaw  :)

That opening balance adjustment acts like a placeholder: it auto adjusts if you enter in transactions before the last transaction when the account was first setup for online activity. Newer transactions won't affect the starting balance.

This behavior is so users can add in older transactions without it mucking up the ending balance. (Obviously, this only makes sense for cleared transactions.)

If you don't want that auto-magic behavior, you can recreate that opening balance exactly like it is with a new, identical transaction. Save, and then, delete the one Quicken had created. This will make the adjustment a plain ol' static transaction that won't adjust.
  • bb
    bb Member
    Thanks John, that is exactly what I needed!
This discussion has been closed.